Community Message Boards

Thread: Turducken....oh my!

Turducken....oh my!

We are going to my SIL for Thanksgiving dinner this year. I usually cook at my house. She had order a turducken for dinner. She hardly ever cooks, so she is having this delivered. It's a duck stuffed in a chicken stuffed in a turkey with cornbread or sausage stuffing. I looked it up on the internet and the whole thing sounds unbelieveable gross to me. I am not a red meat eater at all, but will have chicken or turkey on occasion. I don't think there's anyway I can eat this. Has anyone ever tried a turducken? I might just have to stick to the veggies this Thanksgiving.

Rose

Oh my goodness, that's a whole lot of bird meat! Until now, I had never even heard of such a thing.
    "Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5

I've encountered turducken twice in my life. The first time it was just okay (meat was dry, but stuffing was soggy), the second time it was pretty decent. I think it may partly depend on whether it's a fresh or frozen turducken. I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again, but I didn't think it was gross. (I don't like turkey, am lukewarm on chicken, but do love duck.) In both cases, everyone pretty much ate the meat or meats they liked, and left those they didn't on their plates. If you're okay with turkey or chicken, I think you can safely eat those and skip the duck if that's your preference. That's pretty much what everyone except me did!

Whatever you do, don't do what my friend did when she was gifted one--she thought you were supposed to disassemble the three birds before serving.
    I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows. -Henry David Thoreau

I think this topic comes up every year on the BB. the first time I heard of it, I thought it was a joke.

I think it is strange, but I don't really think it sounds gross. I like turkey, chicken, and stuffing, so the combo wouldn't be bad. I don't know about duck since I have never tried it.

Several years ago my son ordered one...he was in New Orleans and heard about it and was curious. So we had it for Christmas. It was good, but not really worth the money.
    Then my granddaughter saw a show on TV...I don't know if it was Julia or Martha..but she taped the show and made the Turducken. She lives in Seattle so I didn't get to taste it. She is a vegetarian but likes to experiment. My grandson said everyone enjoyed it. But then it was fresh. And I don't think she plans to do it again! Although she said it was not that hard, just time consuming...I would not have the patience.

I really think the original Turducken was just a novelty to get publicity. I have never eaten any, but I've known lots of people who were given one as a gift. They all ended up in the dumpster.
    Margaret

I grew up in New Orleans, and just wanted to ditto the previous posts that *good* turducken does exist! I've had it a few times while visiting family and it has always been delicious. That said, I'm sure it depends on where it comes from, and whether it's fresh or not.

I guess I'm the lone dissenter. I think it sounds good!

I watched Emeril assemble one and if I could find a butcher who would do all the de-boning I'd make one in a second. But I will admit that the idea of buying one pre-assembled sounds a little gross.

My ob-gyn who is, funnily enough a great cook, has one every year for Thanksgiving.
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

We have a local company here in Pensacola that makes the Turducken....it is supposed to be VERY good. I have never had one but I want to try one.

Cajun Specialty Meats

I think if it is a bad one it may be a mass produced supermarket brand. I would get one from a company that specialized in them.
    Life is Good

They showed it on Food TV last week - the actually making of it at the factory. It really grossed me out. I have no desire to eat one. I'd rather order a pre-cooked turkey from a deli than eat a Turducken. They said that it was John Madden's favorite meal, and that he has menitoned it over the years. No offense to John Madden, but he has never looked healthy to me.

My grocery store sells frozen turducken this time of year. They don't sell flat leaf parsley, but they manage to stock the freezer full of turduckens. Go figure!
    Karen

My sister lives in Texas. Last year we went there to visit for Christmas. She cooked a Turkducken and it was actually pretty good. I am not a big fan of goose, but the turkey and chicken and stuffing was quite good. It was pretty expensive though. She got it at the market in Austin. Up until then I had never heard of one.

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.
    We sell it, and were giving out samples last week. It's TASTY! I am trying to convince mom that it would be the crowning glory of our t-day meal.
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by Alethea
    Whatever you do, don't do what my friend did when she was gifted one--she thought you were supposed to disassemble the three birds before serving.
    LOL!!! Nothing to add to that one but you made my evening with the image.

Maybe she thought they were "packaged" like that to save space.

Thanks for the repiles! My SIL used to live in Austin and that is where they were introduced to the turducken. She's having one shipped in to NC. Still can't get over the picture of it I saw on the internet. I plan to make a roasted turkey breast this weekend for my DH and sons so we can have our own Thanksgiving before traveling to see family. At least this way I'll get some leftovers!

Rose

I had one at T-giving 5 years ago, and no one liked it. IMHO, there's just too much going on, the flavors were muddy and the stuffing were mushy.

Mine (fresh) came from Hebert's Speciality Meats in Houston which is a reputable source. We just didn't like it at all.

I do remember in the 80s, my dad sending me an article from the Wall Street Journal about turduken. He was sad to hear that it wasn't nearly as good as it sounded.

I heard about this for the first time a few years ago and couldn't believe it! Sounds interesting, but I think I'll stick with just turkey.