Community Message Boards

Thread: Holiday Roast Beast?: Turkey, Ham, Duck, Goose, Beef, Vegetarian? (your choices?)

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast

Holiday Roast Beast?: Turkey, Ham, Duck, Goose, Beef, Vegetarian? (your choices?)

My sister came over today and we had our first holiday-feast planning session.

We talked it over and decided to have a nice roast piece of beef at Thanksgiving, instead of the inevitable turkey. By the time we actually cook the meal we might actually be having some other form of roast beast, but beef sounds good for now. We'll only be cooking for four, so a turkey, or even a turkey breast sounded like too much.

Has anyone else begun the planning?

Turkey, Ham, Duck, Goose, Beef, Vegetarian? (your choices?)

Oops! forgot other pork choices: Pork loin, perhaps?

(Thanks cherylopal, I forgot!)
    Last edited by Little Bit; 11-15-2004 at 05:43 PM.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist

If I had my way, I would make some form of beef. But DH and DS feel that would be downright unAmerican. I am thinking maybe just a turkey breast? Bon Appetit had a yummy looking turkey roulade I might try if I can find a butcher that can double-butterfly a breast(??)!
    Karen

Thanksgiving is the only time I eat turkey. I really dont get that excited about it...I like it once a year (and enjoy it) but I dont eat it any other time.

I would love to host a thanksgiving dinner with a fancy beef dish. But I also feel that I would default to a Turkey because of tradition and save the beef for Christmas.

Here is a good link that shows what may have been (and what was not) on the First Thanksgiving Menu:

History Channel
    Life is Good

Oh...I want to add that I am not bashing your beef choice...If I were hosting (which I am not) I would love to have beef...lol!!!!!!!
    Life is Good

We'd like to do duck or thick pork chops on the grill.

We'll see how organized we are this year
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Originally posted by imloulou
    Oh...I want to add that I am not bashing your beef choice...If I were hosting (which I am not) I would love to have beef...lol!!!!!!!
    I understand completely. Traditions being what they are, we may well switch plans and actually have poultry in some form or other. We are awfully traditional, sticking to our own traditions, if not everyone else's.

I'm hopeful for beef, though, since we eat really good beef so seldom.

(Ground beef, london broil and pot roast are all very nice for everyday meals, but there's something truly satisfying about a really good roast.)
    Anna
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist

I'm going to try a brined turkey this year and see how it goes. I've only done Thanksgiving myself one other time and everything turned out perfect, so I have high hopes for this!
    Chiropractic care is health care for the 21st century.

Well, I had planned to do a brined turkey, but last night DBF asked what we were having and said maybe it would be nice to have a duck or a goose instead. What??!!?! What IS the boy thinking?!?! But it's just the two of us, so whatever he decides, that's what I'll do.

Christmas is going to be beef tenderloin.

We always have turkey for Thanksgiving because our kids insist on it and so do our grandkids. We make duck, chicken, pork and beef all year long but turkey for Thanksgiving is a must in our house. I often wonder why no one makes turkey the rest of the year. Turkeys are so inexpensive and because of their size can go a long way. You can freeze cooked turkey for future meals not to mention that turkey tastes so good. So howcome Thanksgiving is the only time most people eat turkey??

dh wanted a pork loin this year. so i need to add roast piggie to your list.

I would be run out of town if I tried to pass off a Thanksgiving dinner without turkey. It would be okay to ADD other meats, but the bird must be present. Mind you, it gets better reviews as sandwiches than as the main dish, but, as my youngest once proclaimed, "If you didn't make a turkey, where would you shove the stuffing?" I refrained from responding . . .
    Work is the ruin of the drinking classes.

Little Bit--I think the best tradition is making something everyone is excited about, and if that's roast beef, go for it! My mom always makes roast beef at Xmas, and it's really special since it's the only time I ever eat it. This year I'm having Xmas with my fiancé and my inlaws in France, and I don't know what they'll serve, but I'm sure it won't be "rosbif," which is considered a very "English" meal, and for French people, that's not a compliment! I am missing my Xmas beast already.

This is the first year in about 5 that I'm not making the whole, elaborate Thanksgiving meal myself. I'm going to my sister's house this year, and so for once she's the master chef and I'm the sous chef. We're having turkey, stuffing, mashed pototoes (she and her BF hate sweet potatoes, which I always make), green beans (fresh, not casserole), probably some other kind of hot veggie dish (2 vegetarians are coming), cranberry sauce (if I make it, she and her BF don't like that either) and then, because her British BF loves them, Brussels Sprouts! My sis and I both hate them (and think they smell like feet!), but he really wants them and we felt magnanimous. So, anyway, we are busy planning, but it's weird for me because I'm used to it being an enormous project that I plan for weeks, and this year I'm just a helper. It will be more relaxing though, that's for sure!
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child