Community Message Boards

Thread: Difference between Grand Prix, Gourmet and Classic Wusthof knives

Question Difference between Grand Prix, Gourmet and Classic Wusthof knives

I am asking for a Wusthof santoku knife for Christmas. What is the difference between the Grand Prix II, Gourmet and Classic versions of this knife?

Basically, the handles but I am not 100% sure. Have you looked on their website?? I have the classic line and love them.

Laura

I believe the difference is in the handles. Personally, I have the Wusthof Trident Grand Prix knives, and I love them. The handle only has one rivet showing externally and is slightly smoother or rounded in the profile. The others have several rivets on the sides and have a thinner, straighter profile (at least that's my take on it). Check out the Wusthof website to compare the knives. I've included their link and a quote that should help you. Sounds like you just need to go hold a few knives to choose the one you want. Good luck!

http://www.wusthof.com/main.htm
    Here's their advice on how to choose:
    "There are of course distinctive visual differences between the Classic, Grand Prix and Culinar collections. From a construction standpoint, each of these knives is precision forged from a single blank of the same high carbon, stain resistant steel. It is only the handle assembly that varies from line-to-line. Therefore, the "which line is better?" question does not apply!

The "best" knife will aIways be the knife that feels most comfortable in your hand. We cannot stress enough the importance of making this a "hands on" decision. Learn the basics here and then venture out for a "test drive" at an authorized W‹STHOF retailer near you."

I highly prefer the Grand Prix over the other ones - it feels perfect in my hand!

Originally posted by leightx
    I highly prefer the Grand Prix over the other ones - it feels perfect in my hand!
    Ditto. I love the Grand Prix Santoku Knife. I use it almost daily. The textured grip fits in my hand better than the Classic. I'm not familiar with the Gourmet version.
    The road to someday leads to nowhere.

I tried them out at the store and ended up going with the Classic, really didn't like the weight and texture of the Grand Prix.
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

I have the Classic series of knives. I did not care for the Grand Prix--felt cheap to me. I have not tried the Gourmet series.
    Christine

I think it really has to be a personal preference. I have the classic and love them. I do believe, however that the Gourmet knives are a lesser quality compared to the other two lines. I believe they came out with this line in order to compete with the OXO collection (used to work at Crate & Barrel)... good luck with whatever you go with.... on another note, I don't know that I would buy a whole block set, just buy the ones you would use the most. 9 times out of 10, I reach for my santoku!!!
    ~ Alyssa