Community Message Boards

Thread: Pelvic pain and Bladder Pressure Only Near Ovulation

Pelvic pain and Bladder Pressure Only Near Ovulation

I've been charting my cycles for 10 months now. I noticed that 3-4 days before I ovulate I have bladder pressure exactly like when you need to urinate REALLY bad and also pelvic discomfort. There's no discomfort during sex. The symptoms range from mild to moderate and disappear after I ovulate. Has any one else had this? Any ideas what it could be?

I'm see a RE then end of this month and my gyn a few days later so this problem will be addressed. I was curious what you all thought. Thanks very much.

Unhappy

Sorry for the typo on the subject line I hate typos.

You can fix your typo if you edit your original post

I have fibroids and my symptom were similiar to yours (pelvic pain, bladder discomfort).
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Good luck.....
    I think most women experience what has been called Mettleschmertz. It usually lasts a day or so and it is the pain you feel when your ovary releases (rips open the ovarian wall) the egg.
    I think each woman feels the pain differently because there are so many factors (hormones, pain threshold, positioning of stuff in the pelvic cavity).
    Mine varies from month to month. Now that I'm 47 I am sure I"m having some anovulatory cycles, which also changes what I'm feeling.

Good luck. Hope it is nothing more than the joys of being a female
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Thanks for the typo info and sharing your experiences and well wishes. I'm interested in hearing more opinions.

I occasionally get pain like this. It's not every month and it's only on my right side. I go to the doctor next month (he cancelled my appointment twice already :mad: !) Otherwise I feel fine. But during that time, it sometimes hurts when I first lie down or when I walk. Then it just disappears. It's only happened after I had 2 kids and permanantly came off the pill.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

Thanks Mrs. Reber. I hope your symptoms are not serious.

I attended a series of seminars this summer on balancing female hormones naturally and I would guess it sounds a bit like polycystic ovaries. That's not to say that you "have PCOS", but many women have polycystic ovaries and on ovulation you get moderate to major pain and then it's gone (this is the Mettleschmertz or whatever Wallycat mentioned).

Accoording to what I learned this is typically worse in women who tend to be estrogen dominant and can often be offset by something as simple as two tablets of Chaste Tree in the AM to boost the progesterone levels your ovaries are making a bit. But, a full evaluation is obviously the next step. Let us know what your doctor says!
    Chiropractic care is health care for the 21st century.

Thanks for your opinion Doc. PCOS crossed my mind and I did a little research and I just don't seem to have enough of the symptoms. Plus the symptoms have lessened over the past 10 months instead of worsening. If this is anything I was thinking maybe fibroid or bladder problems. I am taking Vitex in the morning and have been for 5 months but I did skip one month. Wish me luck!

Just to make things clear, you can have polycystic ovaries that have none of the symptoms of PCOS and only give you trouble when you ovulate, which sounds more along the lines of what your troubles are.

Well shoot! I thought I may be in the clear on PCOS. Thanks for your insight. I hope this turns out to be nothing more than my body just acting weird

I suppose it is wise to be checked for cysts, etc., but I thought ovulatory pain was a pretty normal thing. Just because you notice some pressure or sharp pains at ovulation doesn't mean something is wrong.

Personal Chef, I don't think you get what I'm trying to say... If you don't have the symptoms of PCOS, you don't have PCOS! PCOS is a syndrome, meaning it's a name for a group of symptoms. No symptoms, no syndrome, so I think you are in the clear with PCOS. You can, however, have polycystic ovaries without PCOS, though. Does that make sense? Polycsystic ovaries and PCOS are not synonymous terms, so I want to be crystal clear on that. For example, you can have some pain in your body without having fibromyalgia, or get tired now and then without having Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Make sense?

Just because you notice some pressure or sharp pains at ovulation doesn't mean something is wrong.

Depends how you look at it. In our society we tend to confuse "normal" with "common." Patients all the time say "Oh yeah, I get headaches everyday but that's normal" or "Yeah, I'm doubled-over with pain and gain 35 pounds when I have my period, but you know, just the normal stuff."

Just because it happens commonly doesn't make it normal. Does it mean that there is a serious problem there? No, maybe not, but in my opinion having pain during a normal bodily function represents a problem, whether organic or functional is what remains to be seen.

Gotcha Doc! I guess I didn't have enough coffe this morning. Thanks for your time.

LauraB--Ovulatory pain can be normal but from what I've read it lasts a few minutes to a few hours on the day you ovulate. My discomfort is on and off each month a few days before ovulation. So far I haven't found anything to say that the discomfort I'm experiencing is generally normal. Hopefully it's normal as it pertains to only me.