Community Message Boards

Thread: How many zeros does a trillion have?

How many zeros does a trillion have?

Does this bother anyone else? Is this a normal thing for a country to do? Am I the only one freaked out by those numbers?

OK, so when I get out of vet school and am in debt up to my ears, I guess I'm supposed to just increase my debt several-fold and just count on never having to pay it back. Is that the message I'm getting?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

"Even so, Republican leaders postponed the showdown vote until after the election, realizing Democrats would use the issue to highlight the red ink of the Bush years."

Gee, ya think?

As stunning as that is, I am even more stunned by this from the Washington Post:
    "the administration is considering eliminating the deduction of state and local taxes on federal income tax returns and scrapping the business tax deduction for employer-provided health insurance, the advisers said."
    To pay for tax reform, they might eliminate the tax benefits for employers to provide health insurance???? I hope that this report is innacurate.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

I wonder if this just isn't some threat from the republicans to make sure the dems in congress don't make trouble over raising the debt limit. Raise the limit, or we can't make employer sponsored health care tax free any more- that type of thing. I don't think they would really go through with it, whould they? I really hope not.