Community Message Boards

Thread: How Much Crumbs Equals Four Bread Slices

Question How Much Crumbs Equals Four Bread Slices

I'm making a recipe that calls for four slices of sandwich bread crumbed in the food processor.

I don't keep bread around so I am planning to use panko.

Does anybody know what quantity of panko I should use -- 1/4 cup? 1/2 cup?

Thanks in advance.

Re: How Much Crumbs Equals Four Bread Slices

Originally posted by blazedog
    I'm making a recipe that calls for four slices of sandwich bread crumbed in the food processor.Does anybody know what quantity of panko I should use -- 1/4 cup? 1/2 cup?
    Hope this helps...from foodsubs.com:

breadcrumbs = bread crumbs Equivalents: 1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs = 4 slices bread; 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs = 3 slices bread. Notes: These are used for breading foods, topping casseroles, stuffing poultry, thickening stews, and adding inexpensive bulk to meatloaves, hamburgers, and fish cakes. Dry breadcrumbs are made from very dry bread, and make for a crispy, crunchy coating for fried foods. The bread that's used to make soft or fresh bread crumbs isn't as dry, so the crumbs produce a softer coating, crust, or stuffing. Almost any bread can be used to make breadcrumbs, but crusty French or Italian bread works especially well.

Sheila in MD

Thanks -- As panko is somewhat fluffier than standard dry bread crumbs I would assume that I am safe with about 1 1/4 cups -- toppings are approximately anyhow but now I have somewhat of a ballpark feel.