Community Message Boards

Thread: Help - where to buy turkey-size plastic bag?

Question Help - where to buy turkey-size plastic bag?

Hi, I am new to here.

I read the Apple Cider-Brined Turkey recipe of the November issue and I want to try it for this Thanksgiving. I've tried roast Apple Cider-brined chicken and pork a while ago and they were fabulous! I used 2 1/2 quart-size bag to brine my chicken. Now, I am wondering it may not be big enough for a turkey. In that November issue's brined turkey recipe, it calls for "turkey-size" plastic bag. Is there a specific type/ or brand for this bag? Where can I find them? I hope someone can give me some advices. I appreciate a lot! Thanks!

You can buy a roasting bag for a turkey and use it for your brining bag, or I have heard people just use garbage bags. I have never tried that, but my MIL uses the roasting bags all the time for her turkey, so I know they must be out there.

Good luck - welcome to the BB!
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I think they do sell turkey sized roasting bags and you'd probably have no trouble finding one (on the paper and plastics aisle I'd guess) at this time of year. I don't know how well they'd hold a whole lotta liquid though. Those roasting bags don't seem too sturdy to me. When I did the brined chicken from the October issue I just used a pan big enough to hold the bird and turned it at some point during the brining to make sure the whole bird got the goodies. Worked fine.
    Last edited by HejazSunKat; 11-21-2004 at 12:26 PM.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Thank you for your tip. Actually, I don't expect people respond so fast!!

Thank you both.

When I tried the Octor issue, I used two 21/2 quarter to brine. My family love that recipe.

Good luck with your turkey, I'm sure it will come out great!
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

My friend regularly brines in one of the turkey-sized cooking bags. Says they are very sturdy and he's never had a problem. You can also buy brining bags at Williams-Sonoma. I think they charge $10 for two bags but they also come with spices.

I've read and been told to NEVER use a garbage bag. Apparently, garbage bags are not made with food-grade plastic and the chemicals will easily leach into the meat.
    Christine

Yesterday I just bought Reynolds oven bags for turkeys...I think it holds a 12 to 24 lb turkey. My turkey is on the small side, so I'm hoping I'll have enough room for everything else. I got it at Albertsons, and it was about $1.89 for 2 bags. I'll probably double bag it just to be safe.

It's OK...

I use a clean, never been used garbage bag every year to brine my turkey. Using the bag makes the turkey soak more evenly in the brine. The beauty of the garbage bag method becomes clear the first time you try to turn the turkey in the brine which should be done 2x/day. It's also effective in covering large turkeys in the brine vs. a big part of the turkey sticking out of the brine. Just squeeze out all the air, tie the top of the garbage bag into a secure knot and rest it in a large mixing bowl. I also use a great maple brine. I always swear I'm going to try another one but never get around to it.
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."