Community Message Boards

Thread: Nonslip stair treads for outdoor steps?

Question Nonslip stair treads for outdoor steps?

Our house has wood front steps. Last week it rained and then froze overnight- those steps were WAY slippery! We need to do something about this before winter arrives, and I want to find a solution that minimizes the use of de-icer because we have plant beds on either side of the steps.

I ordered the ones below, made of rubber, but they arrived today and they won't work. They are smooth-backed and so slide right off the steps. There is optional adhesive on the back, but it's pretty wimpy and clearly won't stick to the unfinished wood for long. So back to Amazon they go.

Any thoughts? Should I look into grit tape and that kind of thing?

Thanks!

Our landlady slipped off our steps and broke her leg!

So we painted the steps with grit paint. It seems to work okay, but it shows dirt fairly easily.
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

There is a black rubber tread that you can nail to stairs.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

I fell down our "new" steps and broke a rib. What we have on them now works GREAT. It's rubber stair tread that we picked up at home depot and cut to the width of the stairs, we have a double staircase up to the house. Any it is just nailed down. It has been on for about 5 years now and still looks great. I can sweep them off in the winter of pine needles and keep them clean pretty easy. Try them they really work better then the ones you bought from Amazon, we tried something like those and they only lasted about a year.
    What we have is kind of like part rubber and kind of like a car mat material.
    Good luck
    Kim
    Take time to laugh, it's the music of the soul

Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't know there was such a thing as grit paint. (Side note: this thread has made me realize that the word "grit" makes me feel all itchy ).

I think that I will make a trip to Home Depot and look for the treads Kim and mbrogier mentioned. I like the idea that it can be nailed down. This is one chore I want to get done before we have more cold weather- I don't want anyone to get hurt!

The word "grit" makes my teeth feel like I just bit into sand.

I did get a shudder/shiver from reading what grit does to you. thanks.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

We use coarse sand/fine gravel. (I did not find kitty litter helpful) It doesn't hurt plantings or pit concrete like salt does. You might want to keep a bucket of it nearby even with the rubber treads. It doesn't take much of an ice layer to slick over grit paint& I don't know how deep rubber treads are. the gravel blows or washes off when the season is over. we have way too many steps to consider rubber tread.