Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! What does a raw turkey smell like?

Help! What does a raw turkey smell like?

This year I'm trying out brining my turkey, so I had it in the fridge to thaw starting on Saturday. When I went to put it in the brine this morning, it was totally thawed-- and usually when I am prepping a turkey on Thanksgiving morning, there's usually ice around the cavity and so I never wonder if it is "good" or not.

So, I'm not sure what a raw turkey is supposed to smell like? This one has a little smell, a raw smell, and now I'm wondering... could it be bad? I did let it sit out a bit on the counter, maybe 2-3 hours yesterday because usually turkeys thaw so slowly for me. But is could be that I just don't know what raw poultry smells like.

And is the brining kind of preserving it too? I'm using a very basic brine of 1 c salt to 1 gallon of water.

Of course, DH is ALWAYS accusing me of thinking everything has gone bad, and I know I tend to be a bit paranoid.

So if anyone can describe a raw-turkey smell to me (I know, I know, an impossibly weird question)... go at it!

TTIA

You may not know what raw poultry smells like, but I am SURE you would recognize the odor of spoiled poultry. That smells really foul. (No pun intended )

Originally posted by Goin' Coastal
    I am SURE you would recognize the odor of spoiled poultry. That smells really foul. (No pun intended )

LOL

As long as you cook it to the right temp, you should be fine anyway.

I found this link which answers turkey questions.
    http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/pubs/pdfs/e234.pdf

I thought the same thing last year! I pulled the turkey out to brine, and I thought it smelled a little off, but proceeded anyway, because I honestly didn't have much of a choice. My turkey was wonderful- and no one got sick. My guess is that you will be just fine. I agree that a rotten turkey will most likely be extremely obvious.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

This is completely unscientific but "a little funky" is pretty normal for a defrosted bird.

Believe me, if it was spoiled you'd have no question! Ditto advice on cooking to full temperature for all meats.

I find brine has a "funny" smell. Maybe it's the brine you smell.

SLFlyt Guest
    I remember my first Thanksgiving I bought home a turkey and when I unwrapped it it stunk to high heaven. My mother was there to show me how to clean and stuff a turkey and we had such a fit of laughing over this ROTTEN turkey we almost peed ourselves. Needless to say, a bad turkey is very obvious. We took it back to the butcher - Mom wanted to tie it to the bumper it stunk so bad.

Thanks, everyone! I feel better now. It wasn't noticeably "foul" (heh!) but just a bit funky. So I'm going to cook it well, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this brining craze is all about!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

You never told us if your turkey ended up okay??

I think it does have a bit of an "off smell" sometimes. I get chicken at Whole Foods and know what you mean. I used to worry that is was "bad". But I think you really really smell a foul oder when it is.
    Stories, sharing recipes and amazing photos! Come see!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...4185758?v=wall

I agree. Most defrosted turkeys have a little smell. On the opposite end, last year in December we defrosted a turkey and the whole refrigerator started to smell as soon as it started to thaw. It got so bad it brought tears to my eyes and I had to take it outside to throw it away immediately, then clean the whole refrigerator out. So, if it was that bad, you would definitely know it.

This thread is six years old. I have no idea why it's being bumped up now - though I could guess.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The Turkey Was Great!

Okay, very strange. I went to read this post and thought "wow, this person is a little paranoid but I can kind of relate to some of the things she's saying. My husband thinks I'm paranoid too..."

Um, that's when I realized I'd written the post! Long ago!

Very strange to read your own writing and not realize that it was. Anyway, I remember the turkey being great and being impressed with the flavor and texture. But I didn't brine this year and the turkey was great too.

Thanks for the blast from the past...

turkey smells like spray paint

Hi. I found this link when googling around trying to find my answer. I tried to start a new thread but it wouldn't let me. Anyway, I just unwrapped a thawed 21 pound Butterball and noticed the tiny hole in the wrapper matched up with the middle of a 6 inch diameter yellowish spot on the turkey's back. I rubbed the spot fairly firm under the running water and the skin and fat all came off in that area fairly easily. I smelled it to see if it smelled rotten, but it smelled more like a chemical smell or kind of like fresh spray paint. I smelled the opposite side of the turkey and it had some of that smell, but not nearly as strong. Is this kind of what Butterballs smell like or should I just throw it away? Any thoughts? I was going to start cooking it in about 8 hours. Thanks for any help.