Community Message Boards

Thread: Bucket Safe for Brining?

Question Bucket Safe for Brining?

I don't have a pot big enough to brine my turkey so I had DH buy a clean, 5-gallon bucket at the hardware store. We rinsed it out but now I am concerned that it might not be safe for food. Thoughts?
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Jessica, we use a plastic bucket all the time. DH cleans it out with hot, soapy water then rinses with bleachy water, then clean water. After you're done, just wash it out the same way again.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Truthfully, Jessica - There's probably little danger in using the bucket for brining.

You COULD go through the trouble of getting another bucket (we got one for free from a bakery -- they get flour in big 5-8 gallon food-safe buckets). But when it's all said and done, it's probably not worth worrying over.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

Ditto Susan - a little Chlorox and some hot H2O.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Jessica, if it makes you feel any better do what the SF Chronicle suggests which is using two trash bags, place the turkey in that, then fill with brine and close up. Put the bags in the container and put ice around it if it's not cold enough. Mine is sitting in the bucket as we speak. The past couple of years I just brined it directly in the bucket but this year apparently someone has been using my brining bucket for cleaning projects so I figured I'd just put it in the plastic bags.
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

I used double plastic bags to line mine with. I bought a new trash bin (rubbermaid) again this year - we survived last years with no problems.

I got mine in the bakery section of my local grocery store. They gave it to me. It's one of the buckets that the white frosting comes in.

In Alton Brown's turkey brining show, he specifically says to not use buckets that aren't food safe. I trusted his judgement.

We brine ours in a big cooler/ice chest. I'm blanking on the word, but we normally use it for camping and fill it with ice and drinks. It has a lid.

Gawd, I'm slowing losing my memory cells!
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Originally posted by funnybone
    I used double plastic bags to line mine with. I bought a new trash bin (rubbermaid) again this year - we survived last years with no problems.
    This is exactly what I'm doing- we borrowed FIL's cooler and I don't want to take the chance of returning it smelling like brine.

I've used random 5 gallon buckets in the past without lining. Still alive
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Originally posted by funnybone

We do this as well!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

I also used Alton's recommendation of an icing bucket that I got from my local grocer's bakery. I used a garbage bag in it, too, just to make moving the bird around easier. Worked great!
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous