Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! Substitute for sweet onion?

Help! Substitute for sweet onion?

I'm making the Butternut squash dip from Nov CL. It calls for sweet onion. I just got back from the store and forgot to look for them. I have yellow onions. Can I just use them - maybe less? Anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

Yellow onions are generally sweeter than white onions, so I would say your yellow onion is fine to substitute.

I would see how strong the onion is and go from there. Today I chopped one yellow onion that didn't phase me, and then one I chopped for something else later had me in tears. If it isn't too strong, I think you'll be fine.

And frankly we don't get too many sweet onions this time of year here...I would have had a hard time finding one!

Originally posted by krhm
    And frankly we don't get too many sweet onions this time of year here...I would have had a hard time finding one!
    That's what I was thinking - I couldn't remember seeing anything resembling a sweet onion in the grocery store. They're so hard to come by this time of year - interesting ingredient in a fall recipe.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help, krhm and aggie94. I'll go with the yellow onions - hopefully they're pretty mild.

Happy Thanksgiving!

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Another thing you can try is to soak your diced onions in water (or even sugar water) for a while. It takes out some of the bite.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~