Community Message Boards

Thread: Cookie Exchange??

Cookie Exchange??

After waiting years for any of my girlfriends to start a cookie exchange/holiday tradition I've decided to go ahead, take the plunge, and do it myself!

was hoping for some "helpful hints/tidbits" to help to make my party a success! like: how many cookies should each person bring? how are the cookies dividid up? should everyone bring a handful of recipes?? should i keep track of the "kind" of cookies each person is bringing so there isn't 2 of one kind??

thanks in advance for all the helpful hints!
    debbie
    It's easier to beg forgiveness then to ask permission!

In my group, each person brings several dozen of the same kind of cookie. The number of cookies depends on how many are participating. We usually have about 10-12 people. If 10 people are participating, we bring 10 dozen. Each person gets 1 dozen from each of the other 9 people and the 1oth dozen is for munching at the party. We have the party on a Sunday afternoon in mid-December. The hostess will usually have simple appetizers and wine or soda . . . and of course the cookies. We spend about 2 hours gossiping and catching up on the past year, then take home 9 different kinds of cookies. This has worked well for at least 10 years. There is a core group and various others move in and out over the years. The rules are: no store bought cookies, and you MUST show up! Even if you can't attend, you must send your cookies.

judy, thanks for the helpful ideas! 10 dozen cookies, really??? that seems like so much! do you package the cookies by the dozen for easy sharing & take home??
    debbie
    It's easier to beg forgiveness then to ask permission!

Yes, we package each dozen in holiday decorated plastic bags or on holiday plates wrapped with foil or plastic wrap. Part of the skill/art of participating in a cookie exchange is to choose a cookie that tastes good, looks good, and is not too expensive or time consuming to make in quantity. For example, I think I am making this recipe this year. I think I got this recipe off this BB. I always make a test batch before making my final decision. I've tried this recipe. It is fairly easy to make. Each recipe makes 70 cookies. That's 5+ dozen. I've found it is easier to make two separate recipes instead of doubling a recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Turtle Bars

Recipe By :Bon Appétit July 2003
    Serving Size : 70 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 3/4 cups dark brown sugar -- (packed)
    1 1/2 cups unsalted butter -- (3 sticks) room temperature
    3 tablespoons whipping cream
    1 cup pecan halves -- toasted
    3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips -- (about 5 1/2 ounces)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix flour, 1 cup brown sugar, and 3/4 cup butter in processor until well blended and crumbly. Press mixture evenly into ungreased 9x13x2-inch metal baking dish. Bake until crust is light golden, about 15 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.

Meanwhile, bring remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup butter, and cream to boil in small saucepan over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove caramel from heat.

Sprinkle pecans over crust. Pour caramel over pecans. Bake until bubbles form and color darkens, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let stand until chocolate melts, about 5 minutes. Using offset spatula, spread chocolate evenly over top. Chill bars until chocolate sets, about 20 minutes. Cut into 1-inch squares.

Description:
    "Dark brown sugar gives these buttery treats an extra-rich taste."
    Source:
    "Cooking Light Community Bulletin Board"
    S(MC Cookbook:
    "Christmas Cookies"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 90 Calories; 6g Fat (56.3% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 12mg Cholesterol; 3mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

The women in our neighborhood have a cookie exchange every December. It is really simple. The person who hosts it sets an RSVP deadline about a week before the exchange. She then calls all of the participants and lets them know how many people are coming so we all know how many cookies to make.

We make packages of 3 cookies for each participant. So if 15 people are coming, we each make 15 packages of 3 cookies. Everyone always makes an extra package or two for late RSVPers.

Everyone puts their cookies on a table and goes around the table and takes one package from each type of cookie.

We also have a Yankee Swap-style ornament exchange. And since there are always new people in the neighborhood, we go around the room and introduce ourselves to everyone.

We don't exchange recipes, but that would be a nice addition.

The hostess doesn't track what type of cookies everyone is making. Which is a good thing because I usually decide the night before!

It's a fun night and I nice way to meet the neighbors.

Rule of thumb is you have to bring one dozen of your cookie for each guest. So if there are 10 people attending, you need 10 dozen; then, each guest will go home with 10 dozen cookies, but it will be a dozen of 10 kinds, as opposed to just the one kind. Each person should also tell the host what kind of cookie they're making, so you don't have duplication.

All Recipes has a big "how to" section on it here:

http://www.allrecipes.com/advice/col...cles/507P1.asp

Hope this helps!
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

I've also heard the "one dozen per guest" plan for cookie exchanges. I do mine with my honor society students as a fund raiser. This is our 5th annual sale! I have about 20 kids, and they are each required to bring 6 dozen cookies. We set up a table and buy small bakery boxes and plastic (not latex) gloves. Wearing a plastic glove, people may choose cookies from each container to put in their bakery box, and at the end of the table we will charge them $4.00 per dozen. This year we will be at the "Hometown Holidays" celebration in Goffstown, NH (just outside of Manchester) on Saturday, December 4, from 1PM to 5PM. Anyone who wants to stop by is welcome!

Whenever I ask my students to do any kind of fundraiser, I always do whatever it is I am asking of them, as well. So on Friday I baked 4 dozen chocolate-cream cheese spritzes and on Saturday I baked 4 dozen chocolate crinkle kisses. Hope some of you can join us there!
    Connie