Community Message Boards

Thread: Review: Chicken Chowder with Chipotle 12/04

Thumbs up Review: Chicken Chowder with Chipotle 12/04

Made this for dinner last night and it was very tasty and not really very spicy (next time I'll increase the chipotle). As with other CL recipes using the canned chipotle it lists the can in the ingredients and then only calls for one! So beware and don't use the entire can!!
    I had made the CL Brown STock just the day before and I use that now since I can reduce the sodium to just 14 mgs perserving. I also used frozen yellow corn since I didn't have any hominy and eliminated the salt called for. Very easy to throw together!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chupe de Pollo con Chipotle
    (Chicken Chowder with Chipotle)

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 chipotle chile canned in adobo
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 cup chopped carrot
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    6 garlic cloves -- crushed
    6 cups Brown Chicken Stock
    1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, no skin, no bone, R-T-C
    12 ounces new potatoes -- cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    2 cups corn kernels -- fresh or frozen
    1/4 cup whipping cream
    1 cup plum tomato -- seeded and chopped
    1/4 cup cilantro -- chopped
    8 lime wedges

Remove 1 chile and 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can; reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Finely chop chile; set chile and sauce aside separately.

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped chile, onion, and next 6 ingredients (through garlic); cook 7 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Add chicken; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon, and cool slightly. Shred chicken with 2 forks; cover and keep warm.

Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Place one-third of broth mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed broth mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure in two more batches with remaining broth mixture. Return pureed broth mixture to pan. Stir in potatoes and hominy; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in chicken and cream; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in reserved adobo sauce, tomato, cilantro, and salt. Serve with lime wedges.

Source:
    "Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2004"
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/display/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=83 3307"
    Yield:
    "1 1/3 cups"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 267 Calories; 7g Fat (23.3% calories from fat); 23g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 62mg Cholesterol; 97mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks for the review Susan I think it is interesting that CL said they would be putting the chipotle in the ingredient list by measurement now (1 tsp, 1/2 tsp, or 1 tbsp) to avoid further confussion but it seems that they are still printing it the same way.

I learned the hard way that they meant one pepper not one can.

Terri
    There is no such thing as a "self made man". We are made up of thousands of others. Anyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the make up of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success.

Originally posted by Terri-Lynn
    Thanks for the review Susan I think it is interesting that CL said they would be putting the chipotle in the ingredient list by measurement now (1 tsp, 1/2 tsp, or 1 tbsp) to avoid further confussion but it seems that they are still printing it the same way.

I learned the hard way that they meant one pepper not one can.

Terri
    Terri, I believe this is supposed to start with the January issue.

Susan, I like things spicy, but I'm bringing this to our supper club dinner. Do you think 3 would be good, or too much?

TIA!!!!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Just my opinion, but I'd highly recommend sticking to the recipe as written--one chipotle is plenty, three would be very very intense unless you know for certain that the group are certified fire eaters!

I just wanted to add that I did serve mine with lime wedges and the little bit of lime juice added so much to the flavor. I used the rest of my leftover turkey to make this recipe and it worked great!

Thanks for all the tips. I have this on the menu for next week.

I am going to cut the recipe in half but still use one chipotle. We are spicy food eaters so I think it will be fine for us.

I made the stock on Sunday and the rest of this last night. I noticed that the stock was spicy on Sunday (tasted after blending), in fact I thought it was perfect (I like things with heat).

The final product was more tame, even with the addition of the adobo (sp?) sauce at the end. I know potatoes soak up salt (use them if you made a dish too salty) but I wonder if they soak up the heat too? Not sure ... but, the next time I make it I'll defintely use another pepper or two.

I served this with the Dinner Rolls, Five Ways (froze some after Thanksgiving) and thought it was a great supper.

Maria

Here's an earlier thread on this same recipe It's a great soup!!

Chicken Chowder with Chipotle
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Originally posted by PAMMELA
    Susan, I like things spicy, but I'm bringing this to our supper club dinner. Do you think 3 would be good, or too much?

TIA!!!!
    Pammela,
    Could be that since I purée a can upon opening it and then freeze what's left over that mine may have lost some of their heat but I couln't taste the chipotle at all.

Julie, Sorry didn't see your earlier thread!

I really want to make this next week, but have a silly question first. Do you use uncooked or cooked chicken for this recipe? If uncooked, can I just use boneless breasts? Thank you!
    "Nobody likes beets, Dwight! Why don't you grow something that everybody does like? You should grow candy" -Michael Scott

I believe you cook it first. I was going to buy the already cooked chicken, just to make it easier.

Editing to add I just read the recipe and you cook the chicken breasts in the broth. I guess already cooked wouldn't work as well.

The recipe calls for uncooked boneless breasts, they're simmered in the soup for 30 minutes, cooled and then shredded. They have a bit more flavor of the soup this way.

I made this last night. In Colorado anything resembling a good tomato is unheard of this time of year, so I drained canned chopped tomatoes. I didn't have hominy or corn, so I left that out. Rated a "delicious" from by DH, who isn't usually so "graphic." Definitely a keeper. I took the seeds out of the chili - I'll leave them in next time.

Bumping. I made this Chowder over the weekend and finished it off for lunch today. I made it exactly as is and really like it. I was looking for a healthier dinner that used chicken, but was tasty. This fit the bill perfectly.

This was one of our favorite December 2004 Supper Club meals!!!