Community Message Boards

Thread: Where to find "Nutcracker" nut cracker that works?

Where to find "Nutcracker" nut cracker that works?

My SIL just was telling me how much her DD wants their decorative Nutcrackers (toy soldiers ones) to work. I thought it would be a great gift to find her one for Christmas. I checked Williams-Sonoma, with no luck. Anyone know where to get one?
    "I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"

Beth,

I hope someone who knows differently chimes in but honestly, I don't think the nutcrackers crack nuts. If you want to I would get one of the metal squirrels to crack nuts. Good (toy soldier) nutcrackers are expensive and you wouldn't want to take a chance. (The squirrel is really cute!)
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Beth: you can try here but they sure are pricey
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Wow, I always wondered about this, too. I want to buy one! Tyra, those are so cool.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

My Dad actually collects nutcrackers, but I don't think he's ever used them to actually crack nuts. Tyra, those are actually pretty reasonably priced. The really nice ones are made by Steinbach:

http://www.christmas-treasures.com/SteinbachSigned.htm

Beth, I think you want to get one that's made in China/Taiwan as opposed to Germany to cut down on the price. I'm trying to think where I've seen them recently. In the past, I've seen them at places like Crate & Barrel, Target, Marshalls. You might want to try e-bay.

It's not a toy soldier nutcracker but this one is decorative, functional, and has great reviews.

I have seen the Steinbach ones at Tuesday Morning. They usually have them every year. I think they are usually under $100.