Community Message Boards

Thread: it wouldn't be christmas without...

it wouldn't be christmas without...

Hi, I was wondering what one food item is a necessity at your christmas celebrations?
    For my family, being of scandinavian descent, we always have to have lefse. My mom always makes a hashbrown bake for christmas dinner with ham. And every year I look forward to making white chocolate covered pretzels, this year I think I'll try those pretzel rings too :-)

We always serve a huge standing prime rib roast for Christmas Dinner. Num, I can hardly wait. I also get together with a friends daughter and make pretzel birch logs -with carmel, white choc. and drizzled dark chocolate.

Christmas Eve is always gumbo. Christmas breakfast is always monkey bread of some kind. And my mom makes about 3 batches of Chex party mix every year with drastic overloads of pecans from her trees.
    Margaret

We are a monkey bread family too! Actually, I have been having Christmas at my house for the last 5 years or so and I started making it then. My brother-in-law probably wouldn't come if we didn't have it!

I also always make wreath cookies (with cornflakes).

Otherwise, not too many traditions. I'm still working on making some!

We also always have lefse for Christmas. Since I live 1200 miles from home, I don't get there for Christmas very often anymore. However, I'm going up next week and my sister and I are making lefse on Saturday. She and my aunt have already made the "family lefse". This batch is mostly for ME!!!

Fresh orange juice for breakfast and sauerbraten for dinner. It's the only time all year that I'll put in the three-day marinade time for the meat!
    Positive emotion trumps negative emotion every time. - Inception

christmas eve is entirely seafood- seafood salad, cioppino, shrimp, scallops, lobster.....

Homemade perogies.

Spritz cookies shaped like christmas trees with a green frosting drizzle and sprinkles. My grandmother always had them, and as children we all fought for them. We went without for a few years, and a christmas did not pass without somebody saying "Remember Grammy's christmas tree cookies?" So I'm proud to say that I found a perfect recreation, and we're all happy again.

A newer tradition, is that we go out to dinner on Christmas Eve to our favorite (fancier) restaurant. Same one each year. We all get dressed up and eat wonderful food.

I've also had lefse for Christmas the last few years (since moving to ND), but it's storebought, not homemade . We didn't have lefse growing up, but we did have yulekage every year, and I can't do without it. And honoring my Quebecois heritage, we also have tourtiere every Christmas Eve. Those are probably the two foods that most mean Christmas to me.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Originally posted by ClaraB
    I've also had lefse for Christmas the last few years (since moving to ND), but it's storebought, not homemade .
    You should DEFINITELY make friends with someone who makes it homemade. You wouldn't believe the difference!! If it travelled well, I'd send you some...unfortunately it has a very short self life.

Fudge. Every year, my father goes nuts with variations on the marshmallow fluff fudge recipe. It's a family tradition.

-- GG

I can't believe there is another thread where I get to say:
    Spam Sandwiches!!! Wouldn't be Christmas without em!

Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Breakfast Casserole! You know, the horribly bad for you egg, sausage, bread and cheese combo! My brothers insist we make it for every family holiday - but especially Christmas. I think I'll surprise DH this year with one since we won't be going home.
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

my biscotti and strufoli on Christmas Eve.

yum yum yum!

C<><
    Take time to explore the untraveled paths and secret gardens of this sweet life. ~unknown

Spritz butter cookies!!

Cream wafer cookies and my grandma's steamed cranberry pudding!
    "I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation" John Cusack, Say Anything

Very tongue-in-cheek response: Chinese Food and a movie. What else do nice Jewish girls do?

It wouldn't be Hannukah without LATKES
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Would some one mind posting their recipe for lefse (especially one with mashed potatoes)? I would love to make some. I made it once with my grandfather and ate quite a bit of it in Norway-but I have never made it on my own.

Rigel

My grandma's recipe uses mashed potatoes (I didn't know you could make it WITHOUT mashed potatoes)...if no one else beats me to the punch - I'll post it tomorrow.

Traditional Polish fare on Christmas Eve (grandma's pierogi, fish, etc.), breakfast crepes Christmas morning and a HUGE Italian feast for Christmas dinner.

Also... DH!

Oh, and COOKIES!
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

It wouldn't be Christmas without my late Grandmother's no-bake cookies! It is a variation of the popular 60's no-bake cookies but with butterscotch chips. It is was from her sorority's 1967 Golden Circle cookbook. People simply rave about them and we laugh because compared to the all of the more "sophisticated" and time-consuming cookies and candies we do every year, this one is probably the favorite! It's also fun because I have yet to see the recipe anywhere else! I posted it last year,and those who commented loved them, too....LOL

Katie

it wouldn't be christmas without...

When our children were young we started many traditions and as the years progressed, plus I started working, it got more and more difficult to continue all of them. A few years back I had to put a halt to the Gingerbread House, the poured chocolates; chocolate suckers; plates of cookies; etc.

The one main project that we have continued always starts on the Sunday closest to my birthday which is December 15. We always decorate the Christmas Tree, which is always a natural one. When the children were younger we use to go out and cut it down. The last few years my husband & I go to a lot and pick one out. The last few years it has been a Fraser Fir. The kids come home and we all decorate it with all of the collectables over the years plus the ones our 2 children made throughout school. I don't think we can ever have a "decorator tree"

The remaining tradition happens to be "Nuts & Bolts" that has been the one remaining tradition and has grown over the years. We do our first batches on the day we decorate the tree...we stir it every 15 minutes... We are now up to 4 double batches (not all on decorating day)

Our daughter is now married (July, 2004) and her husband's family happen to have their traditional Nuts & Bolts recipe also. We had a contest a couple of years ago and ours won out.....yeah!

Here it is:
    THE RODE FAMILY NUTS AND BOLTS

4 cups Corn Bran
    4 cups Cheerios
    4 cups Shreddies
    4 cups stick Pretzels
    4 cups (1 kg) salted Peanuts

2 tsp. garlic salt
    cup butter
    1 tsp. H. P. Sauce
    tsp celery salt
    tsp onion slt

Melt butter.

Mix in all the spices.

Pour over the well blended cereals.

Place in a 225 degree oven for 2 hours stirring every 15 minutes.

We usually do a double batch at a time and place it in a very large roasting pan. Weve found that it is a lot easier to blend all of the cereals in a grocery bag first.

Enjoy!

I posted (then deleted) the WRONG lefse recipe yesterday...my sister set me straight...so here is the actual recipe my Grandma used and my sister still uses.

8 cups potatoes
    8T butter
    1/2 c cream
    5 scant cups flour

Peel and cook the potatoes. Use white potatoes (as opposed to red). And Grandma's rule is that the potatoes should not be fresh (that's because she could go out to the garden and dig her own..."fresh" potatoes have too much moisture in them). Also, when you peel them, make sure that you remove ALL the blemishes (eyes, brown spots).

Add the butter and cream and mash the potatoes. Refrigerate the potato mixture overnight.

The next day, use a pastry cutter to add in the flour. The dough will have about the same texture as p-nut butter cookie dough...sort of dry-ish looking.

Take a walnut-sized ball of dough and roll out very thin. (My sister uses a cloth-covered rolling pin and a cloth-covered AND floured board for her rolling.)

Place the rolled out circle on a HOT grill (if electric, about 500 degrees). Grill until the top side bubbles, then flip. If you get more bubbles on the 2nd side, Aunt Mary says to poke them so you don't end up with air pockets in your lefse. When she takes each piece off the grill, she lets them cool between moist towels.

This recipe should make about 6 dozen pieces of lefse. And, it's easier to do with 2 people. One to roll and one to grill.

When the lefse has cooled, we fold it and put it into zip lock bags...and store in the freezer until you are ready to use it. Lefse has a VERY short shelf life when not frozen. However, if you freeze it, it is still good a year later.

Schnitzel and French Fries for Christmas Eve. Although I haven't had dinner with my family in quite sometime, that's the one food item I remember. Oh, and Blau-Kraut(?) Red Cabbage, however you spell it, I don't know. I just wanna eat. And for Christmas Day, usually a ham or Turkey. When My dad was alive we'd have Turkey on the grill. He'd be outside IN MICHIGAN roasting that stupid turkey on the grill. But man was it GOOD!!
    Oh, and the German cookies my mother always bakes. I have no idea what any of them are called, or what their made of or what the recipes are, because their all in German and she hasn't bothered to translate any of them for me . And Apple Strudel. I never liked it when I was little, but every once in awhile during this time of year I get a hankering for it. Strange how tastes change as we grow up.
    Theresa
    Cheerleader: "Ya'll are so Whack"
    Ugly One: "Wiggidy Whack?"
    Cheerleader: "No, just regular type"

Teen Girls Squad

spritz, cardamom coffee cake, herring, swedish meatballs, potato sausage, potato salad, ham, cheeses, hardtack, shrimp.....all on the Smorgasbord menu.....and of course, the Glogg.

Originally posted by tbb113
    Very tongue-in-cheek response: Chinese Food and a movie. What else do nice Jewish girls do?

It wouldn't be Hannukah without LATKES
    I do Chinese on Christmas, also I'm making latkes tonight - I can't wait!!

Happy holidays to everyone!!

Ellen

oplatek, barszcz, and pierogies on Christmas Eve!
    Connie