Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: David's Dream Bars

ISO: David's Dream Bars

I got this recipe out of the newspaper a couple of years ago, and it's quite good for Christmas. I have since lost it and wondered if anybody might have it. It is a multi-chocolate(white, semi-sweet, sweet) pan bar done in the oven with coconut and nuts. There may be a few other ingredients as well(I think cinnamon graham cracker crust on the bottom). I know this is kinda vague but that's all I can remember about it. I want to make it for Christmas and can't remember where I put the recipe. Thanks, in advace, for any help given.

Sorry I can't help you out, but they sure sound good!

IS this it. I found it on a website, but it was all garbled, so I tried to make it look better.

David's Dreambars
    Recipe By :Rose Levy Beranbaum
    Categories : Cookies & Bars Holiday Gifts

6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate -- Preferably Lindt Excellence
    6 ounces milk chocolate -- Preferably Lindt Milk
    6 ounces white chocolate -- Preferably Lindt Blancor
    12 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 cups cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (16 double cookies)
    1 1/3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
    3 cups pecan halves -- 12 ounces
    1 2/3 cups sweetened condensed milk

Equipment: 10-inch by 15-inch by 1-inch jelly roll pan, bottom and sides lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Place 1 oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Break chocolate into individual squares and cut each in half, or chop the chocolate into 1/2-inch pieces. Mix the chocolate pieces together and set aside. Melt the butter in the jelly roll pan in the preheating oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Spread the butter evenly over the bottom and sides of the pan by tilting the pan or using a pastry brush. Sprinkle the cracker crumbs over the butter, mixing with a rubber spatula to moisten them. With your fingers, press the crumbs firmly and evenly onto the obttom and about 3/4 inch up the sides of the pan. Strew the coconut evenly over the crumbs. Reserve 1 scant cup of pecan halves. Chop the remaining pecans medium-coarsely and scatter them over the coconut. Scatter the chocolate pieces in an even layer over the pecans. Slowly and evenly pour the condensed milk on top. Arrange the reserved pecan halves, smooth side up, in 5 long rows, starting 1 inch from each long edge and spacing them 1 1 /2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and, using an angled spatula, press down the nuts so they adhere to the chocolate. Return the pan to the oven and continue baking for 20 to 30 minutes or just until the milk bubbling up between the nuts in the center of the pan is pale golden. Do not overbake or the nuts and crust will be bitter. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Invert onto a large cookie sheet and peel off aluminum foil. Reinvert onto a cutting surface and cut the cookie lengthwise into 5 strips (each about 2 inches wide), cutting in between the rows of pecans, and then crosswise into 10 strips (about 1 1/2 inches wide).

Store: in an airtight container at room temperature or in the freezer.

Keeps: at least 2 weeks at room temperature, serveral months frozen. The texture is best up to 5 days at room temperature or frozen and defrosted.
    Source: "Rose's Christmas Cookies" Yield: "50 bars"

Funnybone, you are the best! That is exactly the recipe I was looking for. Thanks to you, there will be plenty of extra pounds to go around for family and friends this Christmas.

Glad I could help!

Funny, wherever did you find it???? i googled it and came up with not much, but it did lead me to the David Glass info, for which i'm awfully grateful (even if bobmark isnt)

in any event, it also sounds like a swell recipe -- and yet another reason i'm happy to have MC.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

Aubergine, Yahoo search produced nothing so I googled and came up with this site.

http://www.baking911asksarah.com/_disc4/00003c81.htm

Then I kept pressing NEXT at the top right corner, until I came to this

http://www.baking911asksarah.com/_disc4/00003c94.htm

Yum! That's from Rosie's Bakery Book - can't go wrong with that one. Everything I have made from there is delicious.
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Originally posted by funnybone
    Aubergine, Yahoo search produced nothing so I googled and came up with this site.

http://www.baking911asksarah.com/_disc4/00003c81.htm

Then I kept pressing NEXT at the top right corner, until I came to this

http://www.baking911asksarah.com/_disc4/00003c94.htm
    whatta good example of learning something new! when i got to the 911sarah site via google, i didn't know one could go further. thanks so much.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying