Community Message Boards

Thread: Christmas decorations at a funeral home?

Christmas decorations at a funeral home?

Maybe I never noticed before but is this standard? One of the nicest holiday displays is at the local funeral home. Nothing gaudy-lots of garland and wreaths and white lights. Maybe it cheers up the mourners? Oh well, just something that had me scratching my head.
    Karen

Not to make anyone sad....

My mom passed away on Christmas Eve, and we had the memorial on the 28th since she passed away on a weekend. In any case, there were not any Christmas decorations at the funeral home. There were very few flowers, but we'd asked for donations to charity instead.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I'd find it odd too. There's a funeral home in my city that has an electronic sign that they always have some chipper message up on. Right now it says: "IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR!" I think that is really bizarre. I couldn't help but wonder if they're happy that, statistically, more people commit suicide at this time of year than any other (or so I've read).
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Originally posted by HejazSunKat
    I'd find it odd too. There's a funeral home in my city that has an electronic sign that they always have some chipper message up on. Right now it says: "IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR!" I think that is really bizarre. I couldn't help but wonder if they're happy that, statistically, more people commit suicide at this time of year than any other (or so I've always read).
    That is so bizarre. I just can't believe they think that is a good idea.

Leigh, this must be a hard time of year for you. The donations in lieu of flowers is a wonderful idea.
    Karen

Originally posted by jellyben
    That is so bizarre. I just can't believe they think that is a good idea.
    I know. I always think of a funeral home as a business that should keep a low profile. They also have giant statutes of the stations of the cross ringing the parking lot. I can easily imagine Elvis having his funeral there for some strange reason.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

I went to a memorial service on Wed. and though the "campus " of the church was decorated with Christmas stuff, the actual chapel only had one arrangement beside the picture of the deceased (also donations in leau of flowers). The reception room did have a few decorations.

I guess I'd have to judge the displays on a case by case basis, but I don't really see a restrained evergreen wreath/garland decoration as any different from a seasonal floral display. Most funerals I've been to emphasized celebrating the person's life rather than mourning, and an evergreen display doesn't seem out of step with that. But a sign saying "It's the most wonderful time of the year!" does seem bizarre to me also.

Originally posted by jellyben

Leigh, this must be a hard time of year for you. The donations in lieu of flowers is a wonderful idea.
    Not really. I do miss her, and I wish the girls had been able to konw her. But, we were very close. In many ways my mother was one of my best friends. I have no regrets, and that makes it easier to have only happy thoughts about my mother. I also had 14 months to say goodbye. It was harder for me when she was diagnosed with cancer than when she passed away.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)