Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing Stuffed Mushrooms?

Freezing Stuffed Mushrooms?

Hi -

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried freezing stuffed mushrooms?

I am making an assortment of appetizers for our family to enjoy between Christmas Day breakfast and dinner and would like to do as many as possible ahead and pop them in the freezer. I've already made the spinach balls and brie kisses, but would love to get the mushrooms out of the way too. I'm just not sure how a mushroom would fare in the freezer... If mushrooms don't freeze well, I guess I could always make the stuffing and freeze that, then do the rest the day of.

Any thoughts?

By the way - this is a standard stuffed mushroom recipe - sausage, bread crumbs, parmesan. Very yummy

Thanks so much! I know you guys will have the answer!

Mary Beth

Just in case you don't get an answer from someone who has tried it themselves, I found this online: "You can freeze cookedstuffed mushrooms, but freezing will produce a mushroom with a denser texture. Itís best to reheat frozen stuffed mushrooms in a microwave and then run them under the broiler to crisp the top crust."

Also found this: "To freeze, place the stuffed mushrooms on a cookie sheet so that they are not touching. Let them freeze for several hours or overnight. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer zip bag or other freezer container. Now you can remove them a few at a time or cook the entire batch.

To cook from the frozen state: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place frozen stuffed mushrooms in pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until filling is lightly browned and mushrooms are done."

I'm surprised - I would think they would turn to mush. If it does work, it's a great thing to know - I love having appetizer recipes for things that freeze well.

Alysha

Mac: I have never frozen them before because I always thought they would end up too soft. Let us know how it works if oyu decide to freeze. Can you post your stuffing? I love sausage stuffed mushrooms!
    Jodi

I may be wrong, but I think that if you can BUY frozen stuffed mushrooms, ( and you can) then why can't you freeze your own? Sure is worth a try.

Originally posted by VegasDramaQueen
    I may be wrong, but I think that if you can BUY frozen stuffed mushrooms, ( and you can) then why can't you freeze your own? Sure is worth a try.
    That's true to a point, but I would assume that the manufacturers of those things probably do things to them that we wouldn't - like maybe they freeze at extremely cold temperatures or freeze it super fast, etc. For example, if we tried to freeze potatos like Ore Ida does, I don't think we'd have the same results. Anyway, I don't always assume I can do what the food companies do. But, yes, definitely worth a try.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!! I really appreciate it. I think I will give it a go - the worst thing that can happen is that I feed my in-laws mushy mushrooms... And you're so right Alysha - having another tasty appetizer that can be made ahead would be great.

I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime - here is the recipe I plan to use. I tasted these at another party and they were fantastic. Now that I look at the recipe, I'm a bit surprised to see that they use mozzarella rather than parmesan - but they were great, so I'll stick with the mozzarella.

Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms

1 1/2 pounds medium mushrooms (30 or more)
    3/4 pound ground, lose hot pork sausage
    3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
    1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Remove stems from mushrooms. Chop stems.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In large skillet over medium heat, brown sausage. With slotted spoon, place sausage on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Spoon off all but 4 tablespoons of sausage drippings from skillet. Cook mushroom stems in drippings over medium heat (about 10 minutes).

Remove skillet from heat and stir in sausage, cheese and bread crumbs.

Fill caps with sausage mixture. Place stuffed mushrooms in jellyroll pan and bake 15 minutes.

I know this post is ages old, but wanted to see if any of you had any luck with freezing stuffed mushrooms? we have a storm brewing here in the northeast and it has cramped our christmas party plans, so I am trying to freeze as much of the food as I can so it doesn't go to waste (or alternatively, DH and I eat a ridiculous amount of food in the next few days )... anyone have any success with freezing mushrooms??
    ~ Alyssa

Red face

I just did this. I thawed the pre-stuffed uncooked mushrooms on paper towels and kept changing the towels as they absorbed the moisture. Probably about four times as they thawed. Put them in the fridge over night and then baked them per the usual directions. They came out exactly the same as they would have if I baked them right after preparing them. I was afraid I was about to ruin a very nice batch of stuffed mushrooms, but that didn't happen! I was so excited!

I'm glad someone finally posted result! Maybe there's been another thread over the years, but it's nice to have it here onthe same thread. Good to know. Thanks.

Freezing stuffed mushrooms. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    I'm glad someone finally posted result! Maybe there's been another thread over the years, but it's nice to have it here onthe same thread. Good to know. Thanks.

Thanks to you for keeping this topic alive! I now have 16 delicious stuffed mushrooms in the freezer leftover from Christmas Eve ~ waiting for New Years Eve 2013!