Community Message Boards

Thread: Two Onion Questions

Question Two Onion Questions

A. My onions often turn a bluish green color when I saute them. I usually use olive oil, and I usually chop them fine in the Cuisinart because DH is not a big fan of big pieces of onion in most dishes (i.e. we're talking soups, sauces, etc. here). I notice that they don't turn color when I am sauteeing sliced onions for other types of dishes. Just curious about this, haven't really ever noticed an off taste, but it just happened to me and got me thinking...

B. I have one of the nice silicone spatulas from Williams-Sonoma (the ones rated to 500 degrees), and it has started smelling like onions recently. Any way to get the smell off? I have run it through the dishwasher numerous times but that doesn't help.

Any info and help is appreciated!

The color change has me stumped; I've never seen that. I wonder if using the food processor could have anything to do with it (I say that only because I don't use a food processor, not because I have any plausible explanation).

As far as the silicone spatula smelling onion-y, I would suggest soaking it in a bleach-water mix.

What color is your spatula
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

The spatula is clear...it's never turned red or anything like that from tomato sauce. I can only guess that it's onion-y because I use it to scrape raw onions from the cuisinart bowl to the pan frequently. Don't really use it for sauteeing or anything like that.

Weird that no one else has encountered the blue onions!