Community Message Boards

Thread: How do you wash good knives?

Question How do you wash good knives?

So I got a Wusthof Grand Prix II 9-piece block set and a Santoku for Christmas...Yay! *doing the happy dance*

Now Iím not supposed to put those in the dishwasher, right? Exactly how do you wash them without cutting yourself? And are you ever worried youíre not getting it clean enough after cutting raw chicken?

Iíve always used a dishwasher for everything except a few pots and pans, so this is new territory for me!

Cool

Couldn't help smiling a bit while reading your post. What different worlds we come from. Most of my life, I haven't HAD a dishwasher. Being somewhat of a skeptic, there are a great number of things I won't put in mine. Good knives, for example...

I've always just washed them in plenty of hot water and dish soap. You just learn to wipe away from yourself and to work gingerly around blades. No big secret really!

PS Congratulations on your new acquisitions.

Originally posted by Gail
    I've always just washed them in plenty of hot water and dish soap. You just learn to wipe away from yourself and to work gingerly around blades. No big secret really!
    Are you using a paper towel? Dish rag? Sponge?

And can I wash them under running water, or do I fill up the sink with water?

I'm not kidding when I say I don't know how to hand-wash stuff! But I'm really concerned about the knives since they're so sharp!

Originally posted by Blissful_in_TX

Are you using a paper towel? Dish rag? Sponge?

And can I wash them under running water, or do I fill up the sink with water?

I didn't write what I use because it doesn't matter. The important variables are simply hot water and soap. I happen to use Ivory dishwashing detergent and a sponge. Some people use dish rags. Sometimes I have to use something like a Dobie because certain ingredients (like garlic) stick.

Yes, you can wash them under running water. In fact, if you're really that apprehensive about washing them, you might like that more than fishing around in the sink, which increases the risk of cutting yourself.

Really, just wash them the way you probably wash those few pots and pans. You just have to be careful of the sharp blades.

You always put everything else in the dishwasher?? You make me feel like I come from The Stone Age!

Mine go in the dishwasher. Yep. I can always sharpen them. I've had them for at least 10 years, and they're fine. But I wouldn't mind getting new ones if they got really bad (which, so far they haven't) - the cost is minimal when they last that many years. I put everything in the dishwasher - I refuse to hand wash. Plus, as you mentioned, it's dangerous. I'd rather ruin my knife than my fingers or hands.

Well I am a dishwasher addict; however, I refuse to put my Wustofs in the dishwasher. I ruined the last set of knives (the handles actually) but putting them in the dishwasher. I doubt the Wustofs would get ruined but I'm not taking any chances.

Basically, I hold each knife in my hand under hot, running water. I use a sponge with dish soap on it. I hold the sponge over the sharp end and kind of do a little scrubbing action all over the blade. I don't do it hard and, believe it or not, I've never cut through a sponge. Sometimes if there is something sticky on the blade, I will use a Dobie scrubber or the side of one of those "double duty" type sponges.

Really, it's easy.
    Christine

I HATE handwashing but do the knives that way. I have a long handled kitchen brush. I put the knives in hot soapy water & give it a couple scrubs with the brush. Or put detergent on the brush & give them a scrub. Hands far away. Only one knife at a time. I tried to do several at once & cut myself one time, lesson learned. rinse under running water. I don't let them soak in the sink long. They're in great shape after 10+ years.

I normally fill my sink with water & soap to do dishes. I always leave my knives on the counter beside the sink. I use a dish rag to wash them with my washing hand on the dull side of the blade. Then I rinse & dry them immediately. The last think I want to do is cut myself while fishing around in the sink for a sharp knife!

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

i can't add much to what the others have posted.

I generally rinse the blade pretty frequently so there is nothing sticky to scrub off when I actually clean it with hot water and soap. That way, it cleans very easily even if I don't do it immediately.

I couldn't imagine putting a good knife in the dishwasher -- I have some cheap serrated knives to slice a lemon or cut a sandwich in half and those go in the DW.

I just wash under hot running water with soap -- people didn't die of the plague before DW's you know -- hot water and soap is enough to clean anything.

I don't put my good knives or my stainless in the dishwasher. My Oneida place knives pitted and rusted by washing them in the dishwasher. I usually run my dishwasher every other day.

When Oneida sent me my replacement sets, they suggested handwashing which I will happily oblige...I am already washing pots and pans, anyway.

I put my sharp knives in the dish water one at a time. I don't let them lay on the bottom of the sink and I don't fish around for them. They never leave my hands I dip and wash and rinse and lay aside. I then towel dry and put them away.

So glad that you have your wonderful new set of knives! I felt the same way when I got my Henkels!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I wouldn't dream of putting my Wusthofs in the dishwasher. I waited too many years to get them...plus, they were a present from my son. I wash mine the same way many of you wash yours. I run soapy water in the sink and take one knife from the counter at a time to dunk into the water and wash with a cloth. I rinse each one and put it on a dishcloth to dry. When they're all washed, I dry each one and put it back into the holder. I learned exactly one time to not put one of these knives in the soapy water without holding onto it. It only took one nice little slice of the finger for me to learn a valuable lesson. Be careful...and enjoy!!!

I don't bother to fill up the sink with water to wash anything let alone a few knives.

If you want actual technique I squirt some liquid dish soap into a sponge that has a slightly hard surface on one side.

I run the hot water - hold the knife under the water -- run the sponge up and down the blade a few times -- use the scrubby side if there is a bit of food adhering - rinse under hot water --

I dry and then immediately put in the block -- Generally I dry on the front of my apron - I wipe each side against the front.

Never put my knives in the dishwasher. I do as Christine VA. I wash with a sponge under hot running water and use the scrub side of the sponge if necessary. Been doing this for almost 50 years, never cut myself. Didn't have a dishwasher either until about sometimes in the 70's. Before you were born I'm sure.

I wash mine by hand in hot water with dawn detergent and a wash cloth. I wipe away from myself with the blade pointed away from me. You'll get the hang of washing the blade with your fingers far, far away. I put a pair of Chicago Cutlery scissor with the bakelite handles in the dishwasher, and the handles cracked. I just don't want to risk the knives...besides I think my husband would have a heart attack if he saw me do that.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

The problem with putting your good knives in the dishwasher is the heat of the dishwasher. Knives are forged using heat to get the blade shaped and sharpened at the angle that that knife should be. The heat of the dishwasher can compromise your blade and if you have wooden handles, wreck them totally.
    Use hot water, dish soap, dry them as soon as possible, hone and put away. I use very hot water for all handwashing. If I had any concerns about chicken drippings above that I would use a little of the bleach spray I use on cutting boards (just water and bleach in a spray bottle).
    Karen

I wonder if the knife police will come and arrest me....

Okay, how about this....am I not supposed to be washing wooden cutting boards in the dishwasher either? We got two free wooden ones with our Wusthof purchase. I put one in the DW and now it looks a little cracked in one place.

Amy (who has already ripped one sponge to shreds trying to handwash her new knives )

Originally posted by Blissful_in_TX
    Okay, how about this....am I not supposed to be washing wooden cutting boards in the dishwasher either? We got two free wooden ones with our Wusthof purchase. I put one in the DW and now it looks a little cracked in one place.

Amy (who has already ripped one sponge to shreds trying to handwash her new knives )
    No, you're not. You should handwash your wooden cutting boards, dry them, and periodically oil them (with mineral oil or a block oil designed for wood cutting boards). I cracked a gorgeous cutting board DH bought me for Christmas a few years ago b/c I was too lazy to wash it by hand and instead sent it through the dishwasher (several times a week). And I ruined a nice, expensive, large Boos cutting board by storing it on the countertop directly above my dishwasher - just the steam/heat from the dishwasher (even though I never put it IN the dishwasher) was enough to warp it permanently.

Amy - I fold the sponge over the blunt end of the knife so I don't have any problem with the knife cutting into the sponge.

Regarding the cutting board, I have a plastic cutting board for meat which goes in the DW. My wood cutting board is only used for veggies and other stuff that has a low degree of contamination possibilties.

I know there are those who claim that wood can be sanitized as easily as plastic but I still like the ability to use the high heat of the DW to really ferret out any lurking salmonella.

Originally posted by blazedog
    Regarding the cutting board, I have a plastic cutting board for meat which goes in the DW. My wood cutting board is only used for veggies and other stuff that has a low degree of contamination possibilties.
    Thatís a good idea....Iím just too paranoid to hand wash a cutting board swimming in raw chicken juices!