Community Message Boards

Thread: TRIPLE-CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY OATMEAL COOKIES - from 12/04 BA

TRIPLE-CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY OATMEAL COOKIES - from 12/04 BA

I had mentioned on another thread I would be giving these a try yesterday since I never got around to making them before Christmas.

They were/are pretty tasty - a little thinner and crispier than I usually prefer in a cookie, but I've managed to eat two for dessert last night and two for breasfast this morning, so I'm obviously not having a problem with them!

The cinnamon gave them a wonderful aroma while baking and it tastes like just the right amount in the cookie. Since I prefer white chocolate, I may be inclined to use more white chocolate chips next time and less of the semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips (and they could probably be just fine with somewhat fewer chips overall). I also drizzled white chocolate on top (surprise! rather than the semi-sweet option), and this really makes the cookie for me (both in taste and appearance). These look very pretty with the chunks of cranberry and the white chocoloate drizzles - very festive.

I'll test these with my girlfriends when they come for lunch later today.

All in all, I prefer the white chocolate chip oatmeal cookie valchemist posted some months back, but these are a nice holiday variation.

TRIPLE-CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY OATMEAL COOKIES
    Bon Appetit, December 2004
    Makes about 30.

Chunks of fresh cranberries and dark, milk, and white chocolate chips dress up oatmeal cookies for the holidays.

1 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup old-fashioned oats
    1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
    1/2 cup white chocolate chips
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries

2 ounces milk chocolate or white chocolate, chopped (for drizzling)

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
    Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars in large bowl until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and oats and stir until blended. Stir in all chocolate chips and cranberries.
    Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until edges are light brown, about 16 minutes. Cool on sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool completely.
    Stir chopped milk chocolate in top of double boiler until melted and smooth. Using small spoon, drizzle melted chocolate over cookies in zigzag pattern. Let stand until chocolate sets, about 1 hour.
    (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)

Meg - have you tried the Cherry Garcia Cookies? I made them last week - maybe they're more to your liking?
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

I have not. I'll have to add them to my list!

Editing to say I just did a very quick search for the Cherry Garcia Cookies. Is the recipe posted on the Boards?

Originally posted by Meg O'C
    I have not. I'll have to add them to my list!

Editing to say I just did a very quick search for the Cherry Garcia Cookies. Is the recipe posted on the Boards?
    Yes, from Marcy Goldman. They are somewhat thin and crispy, but hope you give them a try anyway. I just got her 2 cookbboks and am really trying to restrain myself from springing for her website membership.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

I also made these. I liked the addition of the chopped cranberries, but felt the cookie was a little too sweet. I love chocolate chip oatmeal cookies There wasn't anything special to put these cookies over the top. I also drizzled them with white chocolate. I have not tried the Cherry Garcia cookies either. I will have to try them and compare.

Missindi, I, too, have both of Marcy Goldman's books and have made many things from them. Her website was free for several years, and i have a stack of her recipes to try so I haven't signed up yet, although I am tempted.

Have to search for the cherry garcia cookie.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

I think this is the recipe

Almost Cherry Garcia Cookies

Ingredients
    1 cup dried sour cherries
    1/3 cup cherry liqueur
    1/2 cup butter - (1 stick)
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup light brown sugar - (packed)
    1 egg
    1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp almond extract
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1-1/2 cup flour
    3/4 cup coarsely-chopped white chocolate
    1/2 cup coarsely-chopped semi-sweet chocolate
    1/2 cup coarsely-chopped macadamia nuts (optional)

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Plump dried cherries by covering with boiling water. Let stand a couple of minutes. Drain well and toss with cherry liqueur. Drain when required or even better, let sit a couple of hours or overnight for best flavor, then drain and use in recipe.

Cream butter with granulated and brown sugars. Blend in egg, vanilla and almond extracts. Fold in salt, baking soda and flour. Fold in drained cherries, white and semisweet chocolate and nuts. Batter should be soft.

Drop in generous tablespoons onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees F. until lightly browned around edges, 12 to 14 minutes.

Yield: 30 cookies.

Comments: Inspired by Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream, this buttery cookie offers the tang of chewy, dried sour cherries, along with chunks of white and dark chocolate. Macadamia nuts are optional but terrific. Use the best white chocolate you can find. An adult cookie that kids also adore.

Credits
    Recipe from: Marcy Goldman, a Montreal-based food writer and professional bakery and pastry chef and a regular contributor the LA Times.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Thanks. That must be it.
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.