Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with refrigerated pie crusts?

Question What to do with refrigerated pie crusts?

Long story short: MIL brought pre-made pie crusts for the holidays hoping to make some kind of dessert. We had TONS of desserts so she never made it but left the crusts. What can I do with them??

Obviously I'd make a pie but I'm short on fruit. I just got back from shopping and realized they were in the fridge. I'm not feeling well so there's no way I'm heading back out to the store. I have some bananas, clemintines and a pint of red raspberries. I also have a bag each of semi-sweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips.

On the other hand, what about some kind of savory appetizer? I have ham, chicken and chorizo. (Not that I'd use them all in one recipe...)

Any quick, easy ways to use up these pie crusts? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

Are they formed or just the dough? I recently made this potpie from the recipe finder for DH and he liked it. I used the pre-made crust for the top.

Or what about a quiche?

Old-Fashioned Chicken Potpie
    Homemade stock adds a depth of flavor to this comfort classic.

Crust:
    1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
    3 tablespoons ice water
    1 teaspoon cider vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup vegetable shortening

Filling:
    3 cups Chicken Stock, divided
    2 1/3 cups cubed red potato (about 1 pound)
    1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) sliced carrot
    2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine
    1/2 cup chopped shallots or onions
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    2 cups diced cooked chicken
    1 cup frozen petite green peas
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    Dash of black pepper
    Cooking spray
    2 teaspoons 1% low-fat milk

To prepare crust, lightly spoon 1 cup flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1/4 cup flour, ice water, and vinegar in a small bowl. Combine 3/4 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add vinegar mixture; stir just until moist. Press mixture gently into a 5-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with additional plastic wrap. Chill for 15 minutes. Roll dough, still covered, into a 13 x 10-inch oval. Place dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed.

Preheat oven to 400.

To prepare filling, bring 2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add potato and carrot; cook 2 minutes. Drain mixture in a colander over a bowl, reserving cooking liquid.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; cook 3 minutes. Lightly spoon 1/2 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup Chicken Stock; stir with a whisk. Add to skillet. Stir in potato mixture, reserved cooking liquid, chicken, peas, 3/4 teaspoon salt, thyme, and pepper. Cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Spoon chicken mixture into a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap from dough. Place dough on top of chicken mixture, pressing to edge of dish. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Cut 5 slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape. Gently brush crust with milk. Bake at 400 for 45 minutes or until golden. Let stand 10 minutes.

Yield: 6 servings

CALORIES 366 (30% from fat); FAT 12.4g (satfat 3.6g, monofat 4g, polyfat 3.1g); PROTEIN 20.2g; CARBOHYDRATE 42.5g; FIBER 2.8g; CHOLESTEROL 46mg; IRON 3.5mg; SODIUM 698mg; CALCIUM 40mg;
    Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 1999

Thanks, Lisa... pot pie is an idea. Quiche, maybe- DH can't do too much dairy, so I'd have to limit any cheese in it.

By the way, the crusts are formed (folded in a box).
    "Life is a cookie."

Andrea, here's a recipe for some very tasty cookies that call for pastry dough just like what you have on hand:

Chocolate Almond Crescent Pastries

Cookies
    1 cup ground almonds
    cup powdered sugar
    teaspoon almond extract
    1 egg white
    2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
    2 pie crusts

Glaze
    cup powdered sugar
    teaspoon almond extract
    3 to 4 teaspoons milk

Heat oven to 425 degrees. In small bowl, combine ground almonds, cup powdered sugar, teaspoon almond extract, egg white and melted chocolate; blend well.

Cut each circular pie crust into 24 wedges. Place about teaspoon of almond mixture at wide end of each wedge, rolling to opposite point. Place point side down on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 to 14 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely.

In small bowl, combine cup powdered sugar, teaspoon almond extract and enough milk for desired glaze consistency. Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies.

Makes 4 dozen cookies.

I have these pie crusts, too. Bought them on sale a few months ago and finally tossed them in the freezer. I like the idea of a savory dish - that pot pie looks good. I was actually thinking I could use them in some sort of turnover type dish (either appetizer or dessert) but can't seem to find anything light. Does anyone have anything?
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

There is a CL recipe for individual chicken pot pies that uses those pie crusts as well. I've made it many times and it's very easy and good. I'll see if I can find the recipe...

Emapanadas -- either cut small circles from the dough, or make a giant one from a whole crust. Fill with taco meat or other similar filling, and bake until the crust is done. We used to do this a lot a few years ago and it's very tasty.

You could also spread a filling -- softened cream cheese & cooked sausage, for example -- on the crust, roll up, and slice into pinwheels, then bake. Good for a snack or appetizer.

Here's that recipe. I usually can get 4 pot pies out of the filling, so I go ahead and cut 4 circles from one pie crust.

Chicken Potpies
    From Cooking Light

Because the piecrust topping cooks on a baking sheet and is then placed over the filling, you don't need to use ovenproof bowls for the pies. Use a bowl or ramekin as a guide for cutting the dough. You can use 2 cups chopped leftover chicken in place of chicken breast tenders.

1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
    Cooking spray
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    8 ounces chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
    1 1/4 cups water
    1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
    1 cup mushrooms, quartered
    1 (10 1/2-ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup

Preheat oven to 425.
    Cut 3 (4-inch) circles out of dough; discard remaining dough. Place dough circles on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat dough with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Pierce top of dough with a fork. Bake dough at 425 for 8 minutes or until golden.

Combine flour, sage, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag, and toss to coat. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken mixture; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Stir in water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in vegetables, mushrooms, and soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook 10 minutes. Spoon 1 cup chicken mixture into each of 3 (1-cup) ramekins or bowls; top each serving with 1 piecrust.

Yield: 3 servings (serving size: 1 pie)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 374 (27% from fat); FAT 11.4g (sat 4.8g, mono 4.2g, poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 24.1g; CARB 42.6g; FIBER 4.6g; CHOL 58mg; IRON 1.9mg; SODIUM 882mg; CALC 38mg;

Abby Duchin Dinces
    Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2003

Thanks aggie94 - those Chicken Pot Pies look great. Their on the menu for next week. That's one pie crust!

For the other, I think I will be making the Banana Caramel Galette from CL for New Year's Day. DH wanted something banana and this looks pretty good. Has anyone made it? If so, do you think you could sub Splenda for the caramel sauce or would I not be able to achieve the desired consistency for the caramel?

Easy Caramel-Banana Galette

From Cooking Light

View Cooking Light Menu

The only trick to making this simple dessert is leaving the caramel unstirred for 8 minutes; stirring can cause it to harden. To simplify the topping, substitute bottled fat-free caramel sauce for the sugar and water. Heat the sauce in the microwave for 1 minute, then stir in the raisin mixture. The raisins should sit in the rum for at least 30 minutes - the longer the better. Slice the banana immediately before arranging them on the tart so they don't discolor. To dress it up even more, serve warm with vanilla frozen yogurt.

1/4 cup golden raisins
    2 tablespoons dark rum
    1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
    Cooking spray
    3 cups (1/4-inch-thick) diagonally sliced ripe banana (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons water

Combine raisins and rum in a small bowl; set aside.
    Preheat oven to 425.
    Roll dough into a 10 1/2-inch circle, and place on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Arrange the banana slices in concentric circles on crust, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold a 2-inch dough border over banana slices, pressing gently to seal (dough will partially cover slices). Bake at 425 for 30 minutes.
    Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat until golden (about 8 minutes). Remove from heat; carefully stir in raisin mixture until combined. Cool slightly. Pour over banana slices. Cut into 6 wedges.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 318(27% from fat); FAT 9.7g(sat 2.4g,mono 4g,poly 2.5g); PROTEIN 3.3g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 35mg; SODIUM 160mg; FIBER 2.5g; IRON 0.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 57.3g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2000
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

i have a bunch of the little supermarket checkout cookbooks by Pillsbury that i was just flipping through, and i'm guessing that if you go to their website they have a lot of recipes for using the pie crusts in imaginative ways. there are a lot of things you can do with them, but unless you're dealing with small portions you're not going to find many things made with the crusts turning out to be "light."

here are two savory recipes i've used them for numerous times:

TEX-MEX APPETIZER TART

Source: 38th Bake-Off Contest, March 1998
    Richard McHargue

1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust (from 15-oz pkg), softened as directed on package
    6 oz (1-1/2 cups) shredded colby-jack cheese blend
    1/2 cup roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chilies
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

Heat oven to 375 deg. Remove crust from pouch. Place on ungreased cookie sheet; press out fold lines.

In medium bowl, combine cheese, roasted bell peppers, mayonnaise and chilies; mix well. Spread over crust to within one inch of edges. Fold crust edges over to form border and flute.

Bake at 375 deg. for 25-35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with cilantro. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Servings: 16

Calories: 150; Total fat 12 gr; Cholesterol 15 mg; Sodium 200 mg; Total carbs 7 gr; Protein 3 gr

FIESTA CHICKEN EMPANADA

Source: Bakeoff #39, March 2000
    Jan Fisher

1 15-oz package Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on package
    1 Tbs olive oil
    1 medium onion, sliced
    1/2 each medium red, green and yellow bell eppers, cut into strips
    1-10 oz can chunk white chicken, drained (or equivalent amount cooked, chopped chicken)
    4 tsps dry fajita seasoning mix
    1/2 cup cheese and salsa dip
    1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 425 deg. Remove crusts from puches and unfold. Place one crust on ungreased 14-inch pizza pan or cookie sheet and press out fold lines.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add onion and bell pepper strips and cook 5 minutes. Add chicken and fajita seasoning; mix well.

Spoon chicken mixture onto crust to within one inch of edge. Spread 1/2 cup dip over chicken mixture. (Note: I just use salsa and then top with shredded cheese) Brush edge of crust with water. Place remining crust over filling. Press edges firmly all around with fork tines to seal. Brush top with beaten egg.

Bake at 425 deg. for 20-25 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cover edge of crust with foil strips after 10-15 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cut into wedges and serve.

6 servings
    Calories: 510; Total fat 30 gr; Cholesterol 85 mg; Sodium 1010 mg; Total Carbohydrates 44 mg; Protein 17 mg.

i also used to use the crusts to make 4 smaller, individual empanadas filled with cooked chicken, broccoli and cream cheese - my kids used to love those.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

Thanks for the ideas so far!

Aubergine- duh, I never thought about going to their website. In doing so I found another idea:

Spicy Mexican Quiche Cups

1/2 lb. bulk hot Italian sausage
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup chopped jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
    6 eggs
    6 T. salsa
    1 pkg. refrigerated pie crusts, softened per package directions

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Brown sausage in skillet over medium heat until thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain and set aside to cool.

2. In medium bowl, combine cheeses and chiles; mix well. Stir in cooled cooked sausage. Beat eggs thoroughly in another bowl. Stir in salsa; mix well.

3. Remove crusts from pouches; unfold. Press out fold lines. With rolling pin, roll each crust to form 12" round. With 3-1/2" cutter, cut 22 rounds from crusts, rerolling scraps as necessary. Press each round into ungreased muffin cup or fluted tart pan.

4. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon cheese mixture into each crust-lined cup. Top each with about 1 tablespoon egg mixture; divide any remaining egg mixture between cups.

5. Bake at 425 degrees for 14-18 minutes or until filling is set. If desired, garnish with fresh cilantro.
    "Life is a cookie."

I use the refrigerated crusts for mini quiches -

Mini Bacon and Cheddar Quiches

INGREDIENTS:
    5 slices of turkey bacon chopped
    5 ounces shredded cheddar
    3 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
    1 (9 inch) deep dish frozen pie crust
    4 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 cup FF half-and-half cream

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    In a medium bowl, mix the bacon, onions, and both cheeses. Place this mixture in the unthawed pie crust.
    Mix the eggs and half and half in a bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese mixture.
    Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 35 minutes, until top of quiche begins to turn brown.
    Jennifer M.

"Love cures people - both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it."

For New Year's Eve, we made a red pepper tart with a refrigerated pie crust (roasted red peppers and poblanos, with a couple of eggs, etc.). With a salad, it was a great meal.

I have an easy, easy Tomato-Basil Pie recipe...

After pre-baking the crust about 10 minutes, spread a couple of tablespoons of dijon mustard on the bottom of the crust, then put in about 3 cups of shredded cheese (whatever you may happen to have, however, Swiss is recommended) evenly in the crust, top with sliced tomatoes until top is completely covered. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes, take out of oven and top with chopped fresh basil. Put back in oven for another 5-10 minutes. This pie, although simple is very tasty!

Just reporting back on the Banana Galette. I made it yesterday and was super easy and really, really good. It's a tad on the sweet side but other than that, I would dare say this is a company-ready dish even though it was so simple.

sassysu3 - that Tomato Basil Pie looks delicious - I'll have to try it!