Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good protein food for breakfast (other than eggs)?

Question Good protein food for breakfast (other than eggs)?

On the Healthy Living post someone posted that if she eats cereal in the morning she gets hungry again very soon. My husband has this same problem. He does have yogurt with his cereal and lately I've been making him the Mango-Banana Smoothie to go with it, but I was wondering if anyone has any other good ideas for him to get some lean protein in the morning. Thanks!

You can have some cheese, some lean turkey or chicken breast, or even tuna! Yes, tuna. Don't think of just traditional breakfast foods. For eggs, a hard boiled egg is healthier than fried, so you can always keep some on hand.

Hi!

I LOVE MorningStar Farms soy burgers. The Grillers are juicy, taste better than beef, no grease, satisfying. I just checked in the freezer for the nutritional information on the box and discover that DH has eaten the last one and not written it on the grocery list. GRRR.

Depending upon the "burger" choice, they range from 110-160 kCal.

Anyhow, a great breakfast with your fruit shake, perhaps some toast, a slice of soy cheese...

LGBurns-

Lean ham steaks - yum! Just heat them up in a skillet sprayed with cooking spray (or brushed with a little oil). Just look for the leanest cuts - I like to get the small steaks and then re-vacuum pack the rest.

Along the lines of what KValley said, Morning Star also has vegetable patties that most of my meat-eating family really enjoys. Much leaner than sausage.

Oops! I should have mentioned that we don't really eat meat at home (only when we go out). I have bought the Gimme Lean sausage before and really like it--I guess I always think of it as a weekend thing, but maybe we should be buying more of it and have it for breakfast. Anyway, thanks and keep the ideas coming!

Is he allergic to eggs? I like 2 egg whites with spicy black bean dip on hearty wheat bread. Protein and fiber that I can eat in the car on the way to work!

Kim

Wink

I don't eat meat either and I have found that cottage cheese is a great source of protein. Not only is it delicious but you can find all types of flavors...pinapple is surprisingly good I say give it a whirl!
    ~Diona

No, he loves eggs. I just was concerned about him eating one every day! But your egg white idea sounds delicious. I may have to suggest that to him.

I have a similar problem. Aren't most breakfast meats so fatty??? I did turkey sausage for a while then decided it wasn't worth the salt/chemicals. Did peanut butter sandwiches for a while, but now I'm outta bread (gotta go get some!). Did Boca
    sausages' for a while, but they were too expensive $3 for 6 -- I'd be spending $12 a month JUST on breakfast sausage. Tried protein shakes, but they do not appeal to me. Now, my breakfasts are pretty much protein free. And I can tell the difference, it's not a good thing.

Breakfast is a problem for me also. Nothing like cereal sounds good to me because it is slightly sweet even without added sugar. I have been looking into what other cultures eat. The Asian people I know eat soup or noodles with lean meat or fish. Sometimes a little egg mixed in.
    What other cultures have all of you experienced? Maybe we can get some healthly and fast breakfast tips.

My best friend is Mexican and she grew up eating beans for breakfast. They are really good in a tortilla. Full of fiber and protein! I am almost an expert on protein for breakfast sincce I am hypoglycemic and wouldnt last an hour on just a bowl of cereal, and GOD FORBID on a donut or bagel with crean cheese or pancakes!

I love yogurt, beans, egg whites, egg beaters, the tuna idea is good and so is cottage cheese...the low fat and skim varities are good, and adding some fruit to it is wonderful (although Id add my own fruit, not buy the "pre-fruited" kind - too much sugar!)

My new adventure is going to be porridge (mentioned on another post). It is high in protein and throw a few almonds in.....well, Ill just have to experiment to see if it works.

Kim

Chef Cindy- in China, many families eat Congee, which is a rice soup in which they add meat and veggies. I loved it and DH wouldn't go near it. I have some recipes for it and want to try them this summer when I have time. It kept me full through the morning, as when we went to travel on business, we never knew when we would be getting our next meal. BTW - we were told it was basically their only breakfast food; breakfast, lunch, and dinner were the same foods over and over again at the restaurants we visited!! I love Chinese foods for breakfast, so that it made me happy, happy!
    I'd be happy to share the recipes, if anyone is interested!

Chef Cindy, the Germans typically eat hard rolls or black bread for breakfast served with a variety of meats and cheeses (cold cuts) or an assortment of preserves (or nutella!), and there's always a soft boiled egg. They also eat yogurt and muesli. I love the breakfast in Germany. I even dream about it sometimes! (I know, I'm weird )

I like to have a bit of peanutbutter on toast in the mornings-it provides fat and protein that seems to stick with me longer-plus it is good fats. Same for a few almonds sprinkled on yogurt or a hearty, lowfat granola with dried fruit, some nuts etc-Cooking Light had a great one in a recnet issue.

DmOrtega Guest

Smile

Good morning. I have to say oatmeal (cooked in the microwave, 1 part quick cooking oatmeal, 2 parts water) does it for me. I put a little sugar and plain soy milk and I'm set till lunch.

to Kwormann, How do you fix the egg whites?Thanks, Noni

SusanL - Please post your recipes - I'm interested!

DH & I are trying to eat healthy & have had oatmeal for breakfast with flavored yogurt but, as mentioned, I get HUNGRY before noon...so to add some variety...I've been making some of the posted/published breakfast casseroles, freezing them in individual servings, microwaving for a quick breakfast & serving them with a fresh combination fruit smoothie. This seems to stick to my ribs longer than just oatmeal.

One of my favorite breakfasts is a bowl of old fashioned oats with FF milk and brown sugar and a 2-egg omelette made with egg substiture, chopped mushrooms, green onions and bell peppers. This seems to be a good combination of complex carbs and protein and lasts for quite a while. A whole grain bagel with a little peanut butter would be a good substitute for the oatmeal.
    Deb

I usually have toast with melted cheese, or toast with peanut butter. Also, sometimes I like to have a poached egg on toast in the mornings. If i'm not eating one of these things (with fruit, milk, and juice on the side), then I usually opt for cereal. Sometimes I find that oatmeal or a hot cereal keeps me full longer than regular cold cereal. If you ever have waffles in the morning, you may want to try spreading them with peanut butter instead of pouring on the syrup - less sugar & more protein.

PEANUT BUTTER! (Yes, it's technically high in fat but heart healty fats and it's so good.)

Talking

Another plug for cottage cheese. I've found that while fat-free is okay, I prefer the taste of 2% cottage cheese better. It's a little more creamy, for only 2-3 grams of fat.

Plus, cottage cheese is good in combination with many different foods. Some savory some sweet. Besides fruit, I really like it with ham. Kind of a creamy, salty, meaty treat.

I make an omlet with Egg Beaters, filling it with Low Fat cheese and sometimes chopped green onions. Then I top it with salsa. It really gets my day going!!!

Grace, count me in! The German breakfast sounds exactly like the Romanian breakfast: meats, dairy, and jams -- as many different kinds as possible. Yummy. The cold cuts based on pork loin and tenderloin are the most popular, and they are low in fat too. The closest I have found here is Canadian Back Bacon, which besides being delicious is only about 7% fat (if I recall correctly; it's a very low number in any case).

As a kid I loved to have for breakfast hot chunks of polenta dumped into a bowl of cold milk.

Luiza

Noni I just crack and separate a couple of eggs and cok them with butter spray with a dash of salt and pepper. Sometimes for variety I will add cumin or salsa or jalapenos.

Susan I would LOVE the recipe foe Congee! ALways looking for new adventures in the morning!

I have always hated traditional breakfast food, epsecially cold cereal. My mother always gave me leftovers --lasagne, tuna casserole, and of course pizza! How about a breakfast pizza idea, or breakfast burritos?

One of my favorites is scrambled eggs made with tofu. I puree the eggs and tofu in a blender, add some green onions and whatever, and it is suprisingly good. I have a recipe somewhere if you want.

I also love Morningstar farms. They make a breakfast sandwich that resembles an egg McMuffin. I buy the ones without cheese (their cheese doesn't melt right) and throw on a slice of veggie slices cheddar. This meal satisfies me for hours.

Thanks SusanL, Grace and Kwormann for breakfast ideas with a non American twist. We Americans can use some help in the breakfast department.I have been known to eat a bean burrito for breakfast, fast and easy to travel with. Cottage cheese is also easy and good on toasted whole grain bread.
    SusanL, can you please post the recipe for Congee? I have heard of it but have never tried it.

The Irish (and English, I'm sure) eat beans in tomato sauce and toast for breakfast. Not what I'm in the mood for 1st thing in the AM, but beans are an excellent source of protein.

Chef Cindy

Bean burritos are great for breakfast....living in Houston, you can get them to go from restaurants in the am!

Kim

Everyday in high school I took a grilled cheese sandwich (made with whole wheat bread, lowfat cheese and cooking spray this is a pretty good breakfast!...think smoked cheeses, fakin bacon bits, sliced tomatoes, onions, etc to jazz it up) and a smoothie made with silken tofu for extra protein into the car with me. YUM!! I don't eat that well now!