Community Message Boards

Thread: How long is too long for marinating pork?

How long is too long for marinating pork?

I started marinating some pork tenderloin last night about 9. Now I find out my husband is going out to eat, so I really don't want to cook it tonight. But will it be mush by tomorrow? Maybe I should dump the marinade and just store the meat until tomorrow? Or should I cook it partially, and finish it off tomorrow night?

I would take it out of the marinade, rinse it off, pat dry, wrap well, and stick in the fridge, and cook it tomorrow.

Cool

Whatever you do, do NOT partially cook it and finish up cooking it the next day. That's creating a breeding ground for major bacteria.

Thanks for your help. I will wait until tomorrow to cook it entirely. Never thought about the bacteria - thanks!

I agree with funniegirl - take it out of the marinade now or else it will be mush by tomorrow. Store the meat in the fridge till tomorrow and then cook it! Good luck!
    Charisse

I have marinated a lot of pork and it never turned to mush. The marinade is usually just to give it the flavor of the marinade. I guess, you could put meat tenderizer in it, but I don't. I have left pork loin in the marinade for probably as long as a couple of days, and it was fine. I would prefer not leaving it that long without cooking it, but it happened that I couldn't cook it sooner, and it was fine.
    Okiedokie

I've marinated a pork roast 2 days as called for in the recipe I used.
    It was fine.
    Cheers! Andy

Thumbs up

Yes, Andy, I wouldn't worry about it. I have even cooked boneless pork chops in the marinade that I used to marinade them, and they are always good with any one of the several different marinades that I have tried. It just makes them more flavorful. YUM!!!
    Okiedokie