Community Message Boards

Thread: I'm really bored.

I'm really bored.

Just sayin'.

I wonder what it's like to be tasered. Anyone ever been tasered?

How about pepper-sprayed or maced? Tear gassed?

I'd like to experience that at least once. Just to see.

I saw a video of some cops being tasered to test for effectiveness.

Big, macho, burly guys bracing for it.

To a man, they dropped like a sack of hammers and cried for relief.
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

I was tear gassed. When I was at State, we protested the banning of alcohol on Munn field. I didn't get it too bad, I was still able to be out there with the rest of the masses and protest.

So that was you, huh? I remember that little bru-ha-ha. Poor, defenseless couches.

I think tear gas is the easiest to deal with... I mean, one can still function in tear gas, even if it's irritating... What does it smell like? I always imagined is smelled lemony for some reason.

they make soldiers go through tear gas in basic training, IIRC.

Back when I was employed by local government we did a testing day for pepper spray. One of our toughest men in blue stood outside while the police chief tested 3 different types of pepper spray on him.

It was NOT pretty. Poor guy.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

It's been so long, I don't remember the smell.

Yeah, we had some fun times when I was in EL.

Funny you should mention it. My DH (who is military) is at a training course in Florida this week. Among the other fun things they've done are being tasered and also being sprayed with some sort of ultra-pepper spray he called "OC". He said the OC stuff was absolutely unbelievably horrible--and this is a man who does chem/bio warfare stuff for the Army, and has experienced some icky stuff in his training, and has a very high pain threshold. He said that when they got back to the hotel after that, he jumped in the pool--clothes and all! That only helped a little. He washed and washed and still his skin burned. He said that even the insides of his ear canals burned, and then even though he had washed and washed, he made the mistake of touching his, uh, private area, with similarly horrible results.

With the tasering, he said it just sucked. He could think, but he couldn't move a muscle. He said it was funny to watch each individual's reactions as they got tasered--the one female in their group couldn't move but a string of profanities came out of her mouth almost Tourette's-like. He told me they videotaped the tasering, so I hope to get to see it. He said it is pretty entertaining to watch.
    Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. --Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book

Vacuuming in high heels

I saw a guy outside a 7-Eleven get Maced. It convinced me to NEVER rely on Mace as something to protect myself against an enemy. He became blinded but the words "enraged bull" comes to mind when I remember it.

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

Do mere handcuffs count for anything, especially if the arresting officer says to his partner "Make this one's as uncomfortable as possible"? :mad:

Bob

What for, BobMark?

back in the good old days when they used to arrest people for outstanding speeding tickets, I had the misfortune to be arrested for a speeding ticket I forgot to pay.

Anyway, the handcuffs HURT no matter which way they put them on you.

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

Do they even use handcuffs anymore or just the bigger version of the things you put on trash bags? There's a metaphor, eh?
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Originally posted by Escher
    What for, BobMark?
    Escher, I may be plucky, but I ain't stoopid.

Linda, they use the real thing with every day arrests. The baggie twist-tie things are for mass arrests, demonstrations, etc.

Yes, indeed, on that note, I think it's time to leave for vacation!

Bob

Pulling this one out of the wayback archives...

I just want to say that I've now had the pleasure of experiencing teargas. Most intimately.

So that's off the bucket list.

Awesome.

Smile I'm Bored

Hey Escher, another one for your bucket list.
    How about going and and raking the yard of some old folks near your home??????
    V.

Been there, done that.

In fact, just yesterday, I did a spring cleanup for my neighbors, who are too busy prepping for their wedding to do yardwork. They aren't old, but, it was my good turn for the day.

I'm not a total tool, folks.

/hurt feelings

I am adding doing a "canopy ride" or zipline to my bucket list, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Escher View Post
    Been there, done that.

In fact, just yesterday, I did a spring cleanup for my neighbors, who are too busy prepping for their wedding to do yardwork. They aren't old, but, it was my good turn for the day.
    How nice of you!

I'm not a total tool, folks.
    Never thought you were.

I am adding doing a "canopy ride" or zipline to my bucket list, though.
    Inspired by Maxwell the Pig in the Geico commercials?

OK I'll bite.. why were you tear gassed?

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM View Post
    Inspired by Maxwell the Pig in the Geico commercials?

OK I'll bite.. why were you tear gassed?
    I thought you'd never ask!

I joined the Army! Yep, part of the whole basic training experience.

It was spectacular-- it's a very salty tasting substance. Surprisingly, it also makes the skin feel burnt, like a suntan.

I was the second group of 6 soldiers to go in... and the first group were people on crutches...they didn't want them to slip on the vomit. When we took off our masks, it didn't so much hurt as force me to keep coughing... I thought I wouldn't ever be able to inhale again.

Of course, you can, it's just a matter of forcing yourself (or having the Drill Sergeants hold you there long enough that you have to).

Different people reacted differently... some were virtually immune, some vomited, some had runny nose/eyes. My reaction was relatively mild, but completely miserable nonetheless.
    Good times... I am the better for having experienced it.

Joined the Army?!? When? Why?

Interesting that everyone reacted differently. I hope I'll never have to learn how I react!

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM View Post
    Joined the Army?!? When? Why?

Interesting that everyone reacted differently. I hope I'll never have to learn how I react!
    I was surprised by the difference in reactions as well. Same chemical. But nevertheless, it was true.

Why I joined is a complex answer. Certainly not for the money. But I've enjoyed my time. Oh, and I joined the Army "lite": National Guard. So I still have my day job. :-)