Community Message Boards

Thread: What can I use in place of chipotle chiles in adobe sauce?

What can I use in place of chipotle chiles in adobe sauce?

I am thinking of making the chicken chowder with chipotle C/L Dec 04

Has anyone made this? What are chipotle chiles and where will I find them? Are they HOT? If so, could I substitute something else?

thanks!
    Julie

Chipotle Chiles are smoked jalapeno peppers, so yes they are hot. Chipotles in adobo sauce come canned and can usually be found in the latin section of the supermarket. They are the peppers in a tomato based sauce, yes spicy. If you don't like any spice you could sub somthing to make the flavor a bit smoky (like fire roasted tomatos, or spanish smoked paprika), or if you like a little heat, add a smaller amount of the peppers or I sometimes sub chipotle powder instead of the type in adobo sauce.

Lisa

You can sub chile powder for the chipotles (won't be the same heat or taste but will add some of the smokiness and a bit of the heat). You may also be able to find a jar/bottle of just the adobe sauce wich would give you more flavor without the added heat. It should be in the Mexican food section of your grocery store.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I've subbed chipotle powder when I didn't feel like opening a can for a tsp. The flavor still comes through.

yes, chipotles are hot, but they have a wonderful flavor that nothing else quite matches. i've seen recipes where ground red pepper is substituted, but you'll miss out on that smoky taste. you owe it to yourself to find a can and give them a try. if we can find them here in the sticks, you should be able to locate them, too.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

FYI

I live in Massachusetts, and Mexican ingredients are sometimes hard to come by. My local Whole Foods has canned chipotle in adobo sauce, so if you have a WF near you, you might try that.

ok you have convinced me to search out a can of chipotles.

thanks for your input!
    Julie

Glad to read that you'll be looking for a can! They are inexpensive too. Probably around $1.50 (I try to get them when they go on sale for $.99)

After you use the little bit for your recipe you can freeze the rest and they last for just about forever. Try to freeze them as separately as you can or you'll wind up with a big frozen block. That's what happened to me but I just chop off a chunk of the block for recipes.

Here is a link to two threads that reviewed the Chicken Chowder with Chipotle...
    http://community.cookinglight.com/se...der=descending