Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO Charities Providing Free Flights for Terminally Ill

Question ISO Charities Providing Free Flights for Terminally Ill

A friend of ours was recently diagnosed with bone cancer. He's considering treatment at a facility in Arkansas. Currently, our friend resides in Florida. His wife, whose overwhelmed, asked for help in finding organizations that will provide free airline travel. So far I have found:

www.angelfightamerica.org
    www.angelflightse.org
    www.patient-travel.org

If anyone has any experience with these or any other organizations, I sure would appreciate your input/suggestions. Thanks so much.

Call your local small airport and ask them if they know of any pilots that fly patients to medical centers. They are NOT allowed to charge for their services by FAA regulations unless it is a charter service, which isn't the same thing. There is a network of private pilots that do this, but I can't remember the name.

If your friend does want to look into a private pilot, ask how many hours as pilot in command he has total. Obviously, you would want someone with a couple thousand or more hours than a guy who just got his license. There are a lot of commercial pilots that own their own planes and do this for charity work/fun. (if you have a reason to make the trip, it justifies it a bit more.) You also want a pilot that has his instrument rating.

Hugs to your friends, and I hope he finds great treatment in Arkansas.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Nothing to add, but praying you find the answers that you need and offering prayers for this family. They are blessed to have you in their corner.
    Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I am so sorry that your friend is so ill. I know that Northwest Airlines provides air travel through a variety of charities and it might be worthwhile to ask the major airlines what they offer in terms of flights for seriously ill people.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

I do not have the answer to your question but I wanted to add that I wish you, your friend and anyone that will be affected by your friend having such an awful disease the very best. You are in my thoughts.
    Jodi

I'm so touched by all the kind words. Tears are coming as I didn't expect so much love. All your prayers are needed. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Originally posted by mbrogier
    Call your local small airport and ask them if they know of any pilots that fly patients to medical centers. They are NOT allowed to charge for their services by FAA regulations unless it is a charter service, which isn't the same thing. There is a network of private pilots that do this, but I can't remember the name.
    The organization is called Angel Flight. They do wonderful work and are a very dedicated group of pilots with very big hearts.

Best of luck to your friend.

Here's a site that consolidates many of these types of charities, and breaks it down by region. I hope this helps.

http://www.aircareall.org/listings.htm

I wish your friend a successful treatment and recovery.

mlynn

Thank you very much for the link and kind thoughts.

My Dad is a "wing leader" for Angel flight. According to him, your friend will need a doctors note saying he is able to fly. Other than that, he should have no problems getting transportation to Arkansas. Also, the patients are usually flown in the pilots own planes.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I would be happy to help.

My DH is a private pilot and we know many pilots that do the angel flights. The pilots are well qualified and use their own planes to do the flights, especially for those in remote areas or in those cases
    where it would be difficult to get to a commercial airport. The organization has been around a long time and I would highly recommend it.

I work for a flight school and there is an Angel Flight on our field. Many of our pilots have flown for Angel Flight, and I can vouch for for their safety level as well as the selflessness of these individuals and the organization. They have done great work helping people when needed. Let me know if you need any more information. Good luck.

This is the information I've been looking for. Thank you.

My friend is married with a toddler. If he's accepted into treatment in Arkansas his wife and son will not be able to stay with him. Would his wife and son be eligible for Angel Flight to visit?

Thank you so much.