Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebar Cookbook - A love thread :)

Thumbs up Rebar Cookbook - A love thread :)

I received Rebar Cookbook as a Christas gift last year and looking back on 2004 I realized that some of favorite recipes came from this book so I want to try more in 2005. I know there are a few fans of this cookbook on the board and I would love to hear about the recipes you have tried. Here are mine...

Rosemary Garlic Foccacia A nice and easy foccacia recipe that is VERY garlicky. The first time I made this, I served it with a soup that contained quite a bit of garlic as well - big mistake! However, it is delicious with other types of soup or salad and the dough is great for pizza.

Slow Roast Tomatoes Not really a recipe but a great way to concentrate the flavor of tomatoes. I made tons of this with the Roma tomatoes from our garden and froze them. It is great to have on hand during the winter months.

Caramelized Red Onion with Port, Slow-Roast Tomateos and Fresh Herbs An incredibly delicious vegetarian onion soup. The port and roasted tomatoes provide a deep, smoky flavor that rivals traditional onion soup. My only change was to use 2/3 cup port (instead of 1 cup) This soup is VERY filling!

Tuscan White Bean with Rosemary and Kale A delicious winter soup. The authors recommend serving it with the rosemary-garlic foccacia (above) but I did not like the combination as it was too heavy on garlic. However, their suggestion to add some orzo works really well.

Bayou Chocolate Torte with Bourbon and Dark Belgian Chocolate Hmmmmmm!!! This is a seriously delicious chocolate cake, rich and dense. I love that it has to be made one day in advace - great for company.

i just bought myself this cookbook as a "to cheryl, love cheryl" at the beginning of dec.
    i have made the
    warm veggie salad
    pumpkin millet muffins
    quinoa salad

and loved them all 10 out of 10s!

thanks for your list of recommened recipes to try

I don't own the cookbokk, wish I did, but I have taken it out of the library. I can't remember what they are called, but my favourite recipe was the Mango shrimp salad roll? MAybe I just added shrimp later?
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

gaja,

Please post:

Caramelized Red Onion with Port, Slow-Roast Tomateos and Fresh Herbs

When you get a chance...it sounds yummy

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Gail - you mean you haven't used all that port yet?

Here is the entire recipe. Obviously, any good vegetable stock could be substituted.

CARAMELIZED RED ONION WITH PORT, SLOW-ROAST TOMATOES AND FRESH HERBS
    Rebar Cookbook
    (Serves 6-8)

1 recipe slow-roast tomatoes (recipe follows)
    8 cups vegetable stock (recipe follows)
    4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    6 large red onions, thinly sliced
    1 garlic bulb, minced
    2 tsp salt [I use less]
    2 Tbsp minced thyme
    4 Tbsp minced basil
    ½ tsp cracked pepper
    ½ tsp red chile flakes
    1 Tbsp brown sugar
    1 cup port wine [I use only 2/3 cup]
    2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    Chopped fresh basil or Italian parsley

Prepare slow-roast tomatoes at least 3 hours before beginning soup preparation, or one or two days in advance. Heat stock while preparing the soup and keep it warm on the back burner.

Heat olive oil in a soup pot and stir in onions and salt. Saute over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and lightly golden. Add minced garlic, herbs, chile flakes, pepper and sugar and continue to saute gently until the onions are broken down completely. Deglaze the pan with port and let it reduce until syrupy.

Remove skins from the roasted tomatoes and chop the flesh coarsely. Add tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and stock to the soup. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, to marry the flavors. Taste and season with more salt, pepper or balsamic vinegar. Just before serving, stir in extra chopped herbs.

Optional: If desired, ladle over Parmesan or Gruyere toasts.

SLOW-ROAST TOMATOES
    Rebar Cookbook
    Yields 1 cup

10 tomatoes, halved
    ¼ cup extra virgin oil
    1 tsp salt
    ¼ tsp cracked pepper
    2 Tbsp minced thyme or rosemary

Pre-heat oven to 250F. Slice tomatoes in half and arrange, cut side up, on a parchment-lined baking tray. Brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and chopped fresh herbs.

Roast tomatoes for up to 4 hours, or until they are visibly dehydrated yet still meaty. Cool and refrigerate up to one week.

VEGETABLE STOCK
    Rebar Cookbook
    Yields 14 cups

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
    1 yellow onion
    2 leeks, greens only
    1 garlic bulb
    4 carrots
    4 celery sticks
    1 or 2 apples
    4 bay leaves
    1 Tbsp whole black peppercorns
    1 tsp coriander seeds
    1 Tbsp coarse salt
    Few sprigs fresh thyme, parsley, or sage
    20 cups water

Peel and roughly chop the onions, leeks, carrots and celery. Separate the garlic bulb and smash the cloves with the flat of your knife. Quarter the apples.

Heat oil in a large stock pot and add the onions, leeks, carrots, celery, salt and bay leaves. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add all of the remaining ingredients, including the water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes. Strain and cool if not using immediately. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.

A friend of mine made the Bayou Chocolate Torte for dinner last night and it was AMAZING. She typed up the recipe for me, if anyone is interested. I know I will definitely be making it again.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjasper
    A friend of mine made the Bayou Chocolate Torte for dinner last night and it was AMAZING. She typed up the recipe for me, if anyone is interested. I know I will definitely be making it again.
    Yes please! Thank you!!
    - Kiran

Quote Originally Posted by IndyKF
    Yes please! Thank you!!
    Here you go!

BAYOU CHOCOLATE TORTE

12 oz (360 g) dark Belgian chocolate
    1 1/3 C. Sugar
    1/2 C. Bourbon
    8 oz (240 g) unsalted butter, softened and cubed
    5 eggs
    2 tbsp flour

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter an 8” springform pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper cut to fit inside. Wrap the outside of the pan with foil so that it won’t leak when placed in a water bath. Have all ingredients measured and ready to go before commencing.

2. Pulse the chocolate in a food processor until fine. Gently heat the bourbon and sugar until the sugar dissolves. (Careful not to ignite!!) Pour the hot syrup over the chocolate while the food processor is running. Add butter, one piece at a time. Add eggs one at a time. Finally, add flour, mixing 15 seconds more.

3. Pour the batter into prepared pan. Place the pan in a large baking dish. Fill the dish with water halfway up the sides of the springform pan and place in the center of the oven. Bake 25 minutes. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack in the springform pan and refrigerate covered overnight. Invert the cake onto a cookie sheet and remove the parchment and then invert onto a serving platter so the cake is face up. Serve as is, or in a pool of raspberry coulis.

HELPFUL HINT
    The better quality chocolate you use for this recipe, the better your results will be. We use Belcolade from Belgium. (My friend used Lindt dark chocolate.)

RASPBERRY COULIS

2 pints fresh raspberries
    1/2 C. sugar
    1 C. water
    1 tsp orange zest
    2 tbsp Grand Marnier

Combine the berries, sugar, water and orange zest in a pot and simmer until the berries collapse and the liquid is syrupy (about 10 min). Cool slightly, then strain through a fine mesh sieve. Cover and refrigerate. Whisk in Grand Marnier just before serving. (My friend left out the orange zest and Grand Marnier and it was still delish.)

Hope you enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjasper
    Here you go!...Hope you enjoy it!
    Thank you! It looks very decadent...can't wait to try it!
    - Kiran

Quote Originally Posted by cherylopal
    i just bought myself this cookbook as a "to cheryl, love cheryl" at the beginning of dec.
    i have made the
    warm veggie salad
    pumpkin millet muffins
    quinoa salad

Cheryl,

Would you please post the pumpkin millet muffins? They sound great. Thanks.

Suz
    Last edited by skupe123; 03-25-2006 at 07:27 PM.

The Foccacia sounds fantastic! Can you please post this recipe? The Rebar Cookbook- what a strange name? What does it mean?

Rosemary Garlic Foccacia A nice and easy foccacia recipe that is VERY garlicky. The first time I made this, I served it with a soup that contained quite a bit of garlic as well - big mistake! However, it is delicious with other types of soup or salad and the dough is great for pizza.

I'm assuming Rebar is a Canadian chef? Is it a popular cookbook?

Quote Originally Posted by CindyWeightWatcher
    I'm assuming Rebar is a Canadian chef? Is it a popular cookbook?
    It is actually the name of a restaurant in Victoria, BC. Here is a link to their website, if you want to check it out...

Thanks, one more reason to visit!

Quote Originally Posted by cherylopal
    i have made the
    warm veggie salad
    pumpkin millet muffins
    quinoa salad

I would love the recipe for the warm veggie salad if it's not too much trouble. That sounds interesting.

Pumpkin Millet Muffins
    Rebar

Crunchy millet gives texture to these muffins, which are full of comforting spices and moist pumpkin sweetness. Toasting the millet and pumpkin seeds in a hot dry skillet imparts a wonderful nutty flavor. Serve for brunch with homemade apple butter.

Yields 15 large muffins

2 eggs, beaten
    ½ cup vegetable oil
    1 cup buttermilk
    ¾ cup brown sugar
    ½ tsp vanilla
    1½ cups pumpkin puree
    ½ cup rolled oats
    ½ cup millet
    ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
    1 cup unbleached flour
    ¾ cup wheat flour
    2 tsps baking powder
    1½ tsp baking soda
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp cinnamon
    ½ tsp ground ginger
    ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a large noggin pan and the line with muffins cups if you like. Set aside. Combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, sugar, vanilla and pumpkin in a large bowl and mix together, making sure there are no lumps of brown sugar. Stir in the oats. Toast millet in a hot dry skillet until lightly browned and fragrant. Toast the pumpkin seeds and add the millet and seeds to the bowl. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, sift the dry ingredients together. Add the dry mix to the wet mix and gently stir to combine. Do not overmix, or the muffins will be dry and tough.

Fill muffin cups generously with batter. Sprinkle tops with pumpkin seeds and bake for 25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Helpful hint: Oat bran would be a good substitute for the oats and even flax seeds, instead of the millet, in a pinch.

My notes: The first time I made these, I read the directions wrong and added the millet and pumpkin seeds to the batter. Came out very nice. I also add a bit more cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
    Last edited by cherylopal; 03-26-2006 at 04:56 AM.

Warm Vegetable Salad
    with sesame- maple dressing

Rebar

East meets west combinations are more popular than ever. This dressing blends maple syrup, balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard with sesame oil, garlic and chiles to make a smooth and punchy dressing that has been a favorite on our menu over the years. The dressing is also delicious tossed with roasted new potatoes and fresh watercress sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.

Serves 2

Dressing
    (yields 1 cup)
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tbsp pure maple syrup
    2 tbsp sesame oil
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp red wine vinegar
    ¼ tsp red chile flakes
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ cup vegetable oil

Salad
    2 cups broccoli florets
    2 cups cauliflower florets
    1 small zucchini
    2 medium carrots
    1 small red pepper
    ½ bunch spinach
    ¼ cup roasted cashews

Start by making the dressing. Place all of the ingredients, except oil in a bowl or food processor. Whisk or blend to combine. Slowly drizzle in the oil in a thin, steady stream while whisking or blending. Season to taste and transfer to a small pot. Heat the dressing gently over low heat while you prepare and steam the vegetables. Keep the dressing warm.

Slice the zucchini into ½”thick half moon slices. Slice the carrots into ¼” coins. Cut the pepper into ½” squares. Stem the spinach.

Set a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water. Add the carrots and cauliflower, cover and steam for 3 minutes. Add the broccoli, zucchini and pepper and steam until the vegetables are just tender.

To serve, toss a small amount of the warm dressing with the spinach and divide between two plates. Toss the seamed vegetables with enough dressing to liberally coat and arrange over the spinach. Garnish with chopped roasted cashews and serve extra dressing on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by cminmd
    The Foccacia sounds fantastic! Can you please post this recipe? The Rebar Cookbook- what a strange name? What does it mean?

this sounds very good. i've never made it- i hope it works for you.

Rosemary Garlic Foccacia
    Rebar

Yields one 10” x 16” loaf

1¾ cups warm water
    1 tbsp traditional baking yeast
    ½ tsp sugar
    2 tsp salt
    ¼ cup olive oil
    4 cups unbleached flour

topping
    4-6 garlic cloves, minced
    4 tbsp olive oil
    2 tsp coarse salt
    2 tbsp chopped rosemary
    cracked black pepper

In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm water, yeast and sugar. Let the mixture sit until it foams. Stir in salt and olive oil, then start adding the flour, one cup at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon. When you can no longer stir, turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead in the remaining flour. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, sprinkling just enough flour on the counter to prevent sticking.

Form the dough into a ball and place in a large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a clean damp cloth and set the bowl in a warm, draft-free spot. Let rise until doubled in bulk (1- 1½ hours.) Punch the dough down and let it rise again until doubled.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the dough on a well-oiled 12” x 16” baking sheet with ½”sides. Gently stretch the dough to roughly fit the dimensions of the pan. Drizzle the surface with olive oil and spread the minced garlic over the entire area. Sprinkle chopped rosemary evenly over the top, followed by coarse salt. Finish with cracked pepper. Using your fingertips, gently poke indentations over the entire surface. It should appear dimpled and rustic-looking. Let rise again for about 15 minutes, or just until it puffs up slightly.

Place the loaf in the center rack of the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. The garlic should be lightly golden. Be careful not to overbake. Serve warm.

Help hint: Once you’re comfortable with the classic combination, experiment with other delicious toppings:
    -caramelized onions, fresh sage
    -chopped olives, sundried tomatoes
    -roasted garlic cloves, asiago cheese
    -balsamic shallots (p 156) and fresh marjoram

I'm wishing I had the cookbook; here's one recipe from it I do have and have made many times to significant acclaim from those who've tried it. I love hummus, and this has become my favourite variation of my usual hummus recipe. It is at it's best made with fresh herbs, but my frozen winter ones make a more than passable version.

From Artemis@Chatelaine
    - from the Rebar Restaurant cookbook

Bombay Hummus

1/4 c. canola oil
    1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 540 ml can chickpeas
    1/4 c. cashews, roasted juice of 1 lime
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 t salt
    1 t ground cumin
    1 t ground coriander
    1/2 t cracked pepper
    1/4 t cayenne
    pinch turmeric
    pinch cinnamon
    2 T chopped cilantro
    2 T chopped mint

Gently heat the oil and ginger in a small saucepan. Let the ginger sizzle, but not brown. After about 10 mins, remove from heat and set aside to cool. Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Combine all ingredients (including ginger and oil) in a food processor or blender, and pulse to blend. Blend to a rough purée and season to taste. Ideally, let it sit in the fridge for at least a couple of hours before adjusting the seasoning, since the flavours will develop over time. Serve cold or at room temp with whole wheat pita.
    Andy’s notes: Don’t heat the oil too much before adding the ginger (add 1 piece of ginger to oil when starting and add the rest when it just starts to sizzle and turn heat down as necessary - keep the ginger bubbling away GENTLY so it doesn’t brown. When it’s time to remove the ginger from the heat I add, at once, all of the spices (mix them in a small bowl first) and the minced garlic and cook them for 15 to 30 seconds while stirring before removing from heat and cooling a bit. Don’t be afraid to add more or less of each of the spices (and herbs) as you see fit. Add water (or more lime juice, tasting for balance) to thin the hummus to desired consistency.
    Cheers! Andy

I have been coveting this cookbook for quite some time now and finally ordered it to get free shipping on another book I was ordering from Amazon. I have never eaten at the restaurant, but I will be there in 3 weeks and hope to stop by for lunch. Last night, I read through the recipes and I can't believe how many of them look amazing! Seriously, if there was one cookbook that I could work my way through, I think this would be it.
    "Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5

Oceanjasper, thank you for bringing up this thread - I haven't used the ReBar cookbook in a long time! Please tell us everything about your upcoming visit at ReBar and the recipes you try

Bumping - ReBar is FABULOUS!

DH and I had lunch there two weekends ago while visiting Vancouver and Victoria, and to DH's surprise, he LOVED it as much as I did. This was quite significant since DH typically turns his nose up at anything vegetarian (but I'm working on him!). Eclectic atmosphere, great people watching (the servers!), such an interesting menu.

We shared enchiladas con calabacitas (the jalapeno-lime veggie slaw was unique, flavorful), fresh shrimp quesadillas, and the old-fashioned carrot cake (spicy, and I typically do not care for a cream cheese frosting, way too sweet, but this was quite delish). Their espresso was good too, guessing it is from a local coffee roaster - very fresh.

Not sure how I missed that they had a cookbook, but I will have to put this on my Christmas wish list!

Connor's mom - It sounds like you had a wonderful time at Rebar. Lucky you! The cookbooks has recipes for the enchiladas con calabacitas and for the vegetable slaw with jalepeno-lime dressing

Quote Originally Posted by gaja View Post
    Connor's mom - It sounds like you had a wonderful time at Rebar. Lucky you! The cookbooks has recipes for the enchiladas con calabacitas and for the vegetable slaw with jalepeno-lime dressing
    Anybody can share both recipes?

I was there, yesterday for lunch, and that's what I had.

What so good.

I just want to make it home so that my DH can taste it.
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

If there isn't anyone else who can post them before Tuesday, I would be happy to do it then. I am out of town and won't be back home until late Monday night.

i can later tonight!
    Cheryl

How was your time in Victoria Helene? Did you get to most of the places you wanted to? Victoria is becoming quite the little foodie city-I can't keep up with all the new restaurants and stores! There is a real movement to eat local food too which is wonderful.
    Unfortunately the last two times I have been to rebar I have had awful service. In fact one time stands out as the worse service I have ever had in a Victoria restaurant. I want to love the place because the food is good so I am going to give it a third try. Sounds like you enjoyed your experience there.

I also see your son's team did well and is on to the championships.

Sorry I don't have the cookbook (I actually gifted mine to kayaksoup!).

And sorry for going off topic.
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

Maureen,

thanks for asking. Trip was excellent. Nice weather on Saturday.

Rebar food is really good. You mentioned the service is not the best, I think some of the young servers need more experience. I was watching them and one is working and two are looking.

I would love to make the enchiladas if someone finds the recipe.
    Helene

-Curnonsky

Quote Originally Posted by gaja View Post
    I found the recipes posted online at: http://everybodylikessandwiches.blog...can-feast.html
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Quote Originally Posted by dorothyntototoo View Post
    I found the recipes posted online at: http://everybodylikessandwiches.blog...can-feast.html
    I saw that blog last night but could not find the recipe for the enchiladas con calabacitas .

I hope someone can post it.
    Helene

-Curnonsky