Community Message Boards

Thread: Herb de Provence

Herb de Provence

Okay, I didn't know what this was and saw it in a recipe from Cooking Light. I figured I wouldn't make it because I just had no idea about this ingredient. So now after reading the posts I see it comes in a bottle. Is it in our regular supermarkets and what Isle should I look for it. Never heard of this, but seems I should try?

Here's a blurb from Cook's Thesaurus about subs for Herbes de Provence:

herbes de Provence Pronunciation: AIRB duh proh- VAHNS Notes: Dried is an acceptable substitute for fresh. To make your own: Combine four parts thyme plus four parts summer savory, two parts lavender, and one part rosemary.

You can find a jar in the spice aisle of your grocery store, though. McCormick makes it, as do the mail order spice stores. I don't use mine very often, but I know I have a jar in the cupboard.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

If you decide to buy or make it and then are looking for more recipes, I started an Ingredient Challenge on it today
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Herb de Provence

Thanks, I'll look for it in the store. Then I can make the chicken dish. Learn something new.

I found it in my regular Fry's/Kroger store, in with the spice blends, in a grinder jar, labeled "Provence Herbs".