Community Message Boards

Thread: Need your ideas again! Considerate & Caring....

Need your ideas again! Considerate & Caring....

We are back to planning our next Daisy meeting (girl scouts for kindergarten)! This week our theme is "Considerate & Caring". I have a craft planned where they make a wand - cut out a template from cardstock, glue the two sides together over a straw, then we will glue on glitter and tie on curling ribbon. My problem is... what is the wand for? My daughter found it in a magazine and really wants to make it, but I want to somehow tie it into our Considerate and Caring theme. When you wave the wand... what could it do to make you caring? or considerate? I'm struggling with a tie in.

We are also finding partners (drawing a picture of an animal out of a sack and finding your match by only making the animals noise!) and then we will make a picture for our friend that will be mailed to them later in the week.

Any other Considerate and Caring thoughts fully welcome! I sure appreciate your ideas!

Kim
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

http://livlifetoo.blogspot.com/ Visit Kim's food blog!

How about using the wand to give a "star," caring points or some form of recognition to those whoe are "caught caring." or being considerate of others?

Well, I visit another board (often)which is a Disney board and they always ask for "pixie dust" when they need prayers, good thoughts, kindness, etc. Could the wand be used to spread good cheer or thoughts when someone has hurt feelings or is having a bad day? Like a "good wishes wand".

re wand

Could you use the wand to play a game, such as "Duck,Duck,Goose", and instead of tapping the person you choose as the Goose on the head or shoulder, tap them with the wand, being considerate of the feelings of one another....talk about how you feel when you are chosen, and how you feel when you are NOT chosen....good time to discuss being caring and considerate by taking turns...?
    (Duck, Duck Goose...all kids sit in a circle and the one chosen as IT to begin the game lightly taps each child on the head as they walk behind them in the circle, saying Duck, Duck until they come to the child they want to be it next, then they say "Goose" and that child chases them back to the spot left empty in the circle when the chosen child got up, and the firist child sits down, while the 2nd child starts around the back of the circle, saying Duck Duck, etc.)
    Probably told you more than you want or need to know...but this is a great game for 4-5-6 yr olds.
    Follow the first law of holes; if you are in one, stop digging

Maybe this would be a good chance to remind the girls to be considerate of others by helping around the house, helping their friends at school when they drop books, etc., helping people in the community. Maybe the girls could visit a rest home and bring flowers.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Could she give it to someone in her class (not a regular friend) who needs a friend? She could create the pretty wand and give it to someone who's mommy is sick or who's lost a pet? A new girl in class? Someone who's moving away?

Once again I will thank you all for the wonderful ideas! It's hard to come up with different ideas and "themes" for each week. My co-leader and I have planned that the girls will get to work on the wands just as they come it. We are going to use Christine's idea of the "Good Wishes Wand". I love the idea of the Duck, Duck, Goose! (it's 83 today, and supposed to still be beautiful on Friday) so we should be able to get a bit of time outside. Then I'm going to tie those feelings of getting picked and not picked in with a current problem that is happening in first grade. Some of the first graders have formed a club call "The Popular Club". The "leader" is a girl with definite opinions.... she decides who will be in the club and who the people in the club can not talk to. (the Principal is now involved). It has caused a great deal of heart ache between a couple of girls who are friends of my daughter. So this will tie in beautifully with a discussion of being included... and being considerate.

We are then going to pictures of animals out of a bag... there will be two of each and the girls need to find their partner by making the noise of the animal. My daughter is really looking forward to this! Then they will draw pictures for the partner which will be mailed later in the week.

I think that should about fill up this weeks time. Now any big ideas for "Honest & Fair" ???!!!

Thanks again everyone! This place is indeed a wealth of info!

Kim
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

http://livlifetoo.blogspot.com/ Visit Kim's food blog!