Community Message Boards

Thread: Unreal life

Unreal life

Our cable provider changed channels around today, and as I was flipping through the channels looking for my favorites, I came across unreal life. There was a woman who was stark naked except for the little bit of greens[hope they were organic] covering certain areas of her body lying on a dining room table. Her body was the serving platter. There were men and women helping themselves to various tid bits of food. Truthfully, I thought this was disgusting. Has anyone seen this?

Vicky

Fortunately, no
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Glad I missed it!!

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Do you mean The Surreal Life? If so, I do recall seeing that. Did it "star" Corey Feldman? It was awful, but of course I continued to watch it! I'm a sucker for trainwreck TV.
    Lori

Maybe that was the name of it. I was standing about 20 ft. away from the tv. Of course, I don't know who Corey Feldman is.

I recommend you avoid shows like that unless you want huge chunks of grey matter violently ripped from your skull.

It truly is abysmal.
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

I haven't seen it there but there was a scene in a PBS (or was it BBC?) show called Regency House Party where one of the 'contestants' (or whatever they were) did this. Supposedly the outrageous Lady Caroline Lamb of the regency period (early 1800's) did this and she was re-enacting it. Maybe that's where Ms. Surreal Life got the idea.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

I caught this the other night. Vern/mini me is part of the cast, as well as one of the Brady boys - the middle one.

The episode I saw had Vern getting stone drunk, driving his cart naked, and peeing in the corner. Very classy
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Originally posted by Chefzhat
    The episode I saw had Vern getting stone drunk, driving his cart naked, and peeing in the corner. Very classy
    I saw that part and honestly thought it was hilarious in a sad, sad kind of way. I'll never look at him the same way again.

These are the cast for this season:

former wrestler Chyna Doll
    Jane Wiedlin (The Go-Gos)
    Christopher Knight (The Brady Bunch)
    Verne Troyer (Austin Powers Mini-Me)
    model Marcus Schenkenberg
    rap star Da Brat
    Adrianne Curry (America's Next Top Model)

?!?

As once again, I am incalculably grateful that I haven't watched TV for years. How the heck is this supposed to be "entertainment"? What's the point? What kind of weird grooves do shows like this wear into the cerebelli of people who regularly watch them?

Originally posted by Chefzhat

Except for an hour or so a week of Food TV, I never watch TV but all of a sudden DH has gotten into this horrible show. He's never watched a reality show before but he is addicted to this one. I made the mistake of letting us have dinner in front of the TV when this pleasant episode was on. Now I will forever have this image in my mind. Ugh, shudder! Unfortunately, it was the same one with that disgusting sushi scene. I know I'm a prude, but ick!
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

Originally posted by Peggy
    Glad I missed it!!
    I'd probably lose my lunch.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

"I'm a sucker for trainwreck TV."

Trainwreck TV! What a great name for this stuff. I love it!
    No matter how you slice the baloney, there are always two sides!

That reminds me of the episode of CSI Vegas that was on a few months ago where they were investigating a murder and went to a sushi restaurant where everyone ate off the bodies of women that were laying on the tables with the sushi served on them. Appetizing? I'm not too sure about that!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

A living ,breathing, sushi bar. I just don't understand how women can degrade them selves for any amount of money.

Originally posted by vbak
    A living ,breathing, sushi bar. I just don't understand how women can degrade them selves for any amount of money.
    Oh, I don't know about that. Everyone has their price.

Whatever happened to good old sitcom tv? I can't even watch tv anymore because the shows are all stupid "reality tv." Whose Reality? It's boring and stupid, in my opinion. Gotta love the spouse swapping thing. Yeah, my kids would just love that. "Here's your new mommy. She'll be staying here while your real mommy goes to live with another family." Sorry, that's messed up. I read last week that they cancelled one reality show due to low ratings. A bunch of people were competing to be the heir of somebody's fortune. Got pretty pathetic ratings. I sure hope the trend continues.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Escher
    [B]I recommend you avoid shows like that unless you want huge chunks of grey matter violently ripped from your skull.

Forget The Surreal Life. You should see what happens when you watch Strange Love.

Exactly. "Life by proxy." I mean, are there that many people who are that dissatisfied with their own choices?

Escher, that reminds me of an old (and somewhat crude) joke. But, since this thread is already pretty offensive.... A woman is flying from Toronto to New York. Presumably being less paranoid than most, she starts chatting with her seatmate, a decent-looking, apparently non-creepy fellow.

Then, just as the snacks are being served, apparently non-creepy turns to her and asks her if she would sleep with a stranger for a million dollars. Woman hesitates, laughs, and says, "Well, yes..."

"So," he says, "will you sleep with me for $25?"

She rears back, as far as she can in the tight confines of the plane. "What do you think I am, a w****?"

"We already established that," he says. "Now we're just negotiating the price."

Compass, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just shocked that something like this was on tv.

Vicky

Originally posted by vbak
    Compass, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just shocked that something like this was on tv.

Vicky
    No use apologizing. Rude people like yourself have already messed it up for the kind, thoughtful rest of us.

(A big mega- )

Oh, no, please don't misunderstand me! I'm a little personally horrified, but not offended (it takes a lot to really offend me).

Anyway, I've probably offended lotsa people by my comments on this thread, and I hereby apologise to all those whose beloveds watch these shows (or who watch themselves) for my uncalled-for snottiness.

k.

Yes, especially you, Escher!

Ah, reality tv, aka unscripted dramas... always reminds me of a classic line from "Seinfeld" (regarding the painting 'The Kramer'): He's a loathsome brute, yet I cannot look away!

As repulsive, degrading, demeaning, mindless, silly, trite, awful, etc... as they can be, there's something about them that keeps people going back for more! When people stop watching, that's when you won't see it around any more.

By the way, my New Year's resolution: No television shows without a plot! (i.e. reality shows!)
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

Originally posted by HejazSunKat
    I haven't seen it there but there was a scene in a PBS (or was it BBC?) show called Regency House Party where one of the 'contestants' (or whatever they were) did this. Supposedly the outrageous Lady Caroline Lamb of the regency period (early 1800's) did this and she was re-enacting it.
    That episode of Regency House Party was on here last week - I thought it was terribly boring that they showed that for all of a minute, yet there was all that going on and on and on about boxing.

The whole eating-off-a-mainly-naked-woman is not uncommon in some Tokyo restaurants, and some overseas Japanese restaurants use the human platter idea as well. Apparently in London they put a layer of clingwrap between the "platter" and the food in order to meet hygiene regulations...