Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you freeze goat cheese?

Can you freeze goat cheese?

Kind of a dumb question, but can you freeze goat cheese. I love it and like to use it for so many different things, but it is so pricey. So I thought maybe I would buy the larger logs from Costco, but how to store it? I am at a loss and don't want to waste a big log by ruining it in my freezer. TIA

I do.
    I cut it in 1-ounce pieces, wrap each individually in a bit of plastic wrap, then package them all in a freezer bag. It takes about 20 minutes, at room temperature, to thaw each piece.

How's the texture when you do that? Does it come out all grainy & weepy like cream cheese?

I usually thaw it then use it for cooking, but no, it isn't weepy. As for grainy, maybe since I cook it after thawing I don't notice, but it does seem to crumble a bit easier after freezing.

.Vicci, I do the same thing you do. One of my favorite treats in the warmer weather is a burger cooked on the grill, on a homemade bun that's been toasted on the grill, with sliced tomato and goat cheese. I sometimes found that I wasn't using the goat cheese quickly enough so I did an experiment with freezing some and it turned out very well. Now I can always have goat cheese on my burgers . Oh for some warmer weather...

Oh thanks Elaine!!! It's freezing and snowy out, the last thing I want to do is go into my cold kitchen to make dinner, and now I'm craving goat-cheese-stuffed grilled (turkey) burgers!
    My mouth is watering... and the pasta which I'm now boiling water for just ain't gonna make it.

stay warm!

I've also had good luck. If I'm freezing the whole log, I keep it in original packaging, wrap it in foil and then freezer bag. I thaw in fridge and haven't noticed any difference.

I'll have to try freezing smaller pieces!