Community Message Boards

Thread: Dried Bean Conversion??

Dried Bean Conversion??

Hi all. I am going to make the recipe for CL's North Woods Bean Soup. It sounds like it will be perfect for today's cold weather. Anyway, it calls for 2 (15.8) ounce cans of Great Northen beans, drained and rinsed. All I have is a standard 16 ounce bag of dried Great northern Beans. They are soaking right now. But how do I figure out how that corresponds to canned? I assume a bag of those beans would be a whole lot more than two cans, but does anyone have any sort of conversion for me? Help!!

LOL I don't have the answer, but I was just going to post the very same question (for kidney beans.) Anybody have some kind of conversion table?
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

I don't have an answer, but I do have the same question in reverse! I want to make a soup recipe calling for 1 cup (6 ounces) of dried black beans with canned beans, and I don't know how many cans that would be.

Maybe some smart person can help us all
    "I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb -- and I'm also not blonde."
    Dolly Parton

Found it! Here we go:

Dried vs. Canned Beans
    Canned beans are fast and easy to use. Or you can prepare dried beans from scratch. Here are some equivalents and cooking instructions:

1 lb dry beans = 2 1/2 cups dry beans = about 7 1/2 cups cooked beans
    1 cup dry beans = about 3 cups cooked beans
    14 oz/398 ml can beans = about 1 1/2 cups drained beans
    19 oz/540 ml can beans = about 2 cups drained beans
    First, rinse and sort dried beans, discarding any blemished ones or any grit. Then soak:

LONG SOAK: Cover dried beans with three times their volume of water and lets stand in refrigerator for 12 hours or overnight. Drain.
    QUICK SOAK: In saucepan, cover dried beans with three times their volume of water and bring to boil. Boil for two minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for one hour. Drain.
    In a large saucepan, cover drained, soaked beans with three times their volume of fresh water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, and topping up with water if necessary, for about 45 minutes to 1 1/4 hours, depending on age and type of bean. Drain.

Some maintain that discarding soaking liquid helps to reduce flatulence.

For greatest economy, cook up a whole bunch and freeze in quantities similar to the can sizes you usually use.

(from a Google search -- interlog)
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

Thanks!!!
    "I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb -- and I'm also not blonde."
    Dolly Parton

Here's another one:

One 15-ounce can of beans = one and one-half cups cooked beans, drained
    One pound dry beans = six cups cooked beans, drained.
    One pound dry beans = two cups dry beans.
    One cup dry beans = three cups cooked beans, drained.

(from another Google search -- Bean USA)