Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite dessert?

Wink What is your favorite dessert?

So I'm looking at all the favorite threads and I'm thinking to myself what is everyone's fave dessert? You don't have to narrow it down to one, hell if you have 5 favorites thats still okay
    I'd have to say my favorite is cheesecake,creme brulee and anything thats got warm chocolate!
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

I'm a huge creme brulee fan too. Mmmmmm.

Chocolate Mousse by far...of course it's really hard to get a good one, but when I do I am in heaven!!

The egg nog creme brulee from BA is to-die-for, in our humble opinion.

I have also made flourless chocolate torte that I looooove.

Baily's Irish Cream ice-cream (store bought) is heavenly.

I also like the CL Monkey bars doctored up for my liking (and healthier, IMHO) .

Oh, and how could I forget...
    The EW very lemon pie from years and years ago.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Creme brulee, definitely. But it has to be in a ramekin with low sides, and it has to be lukewarm, with the browned sugar still warm.

Fresh berries set it off nicely.

Baily's Irish Cream ice-cream (store bought) is heavenly.
    Hmmm are we talking haagen dazs by any chance???
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

It's gotta be my double chocolate cheesecake. (It's actually an epicurious recipe, but I've made it so often that everyone refers to it as "my" cheesecake now. )

Ice cream, preferably some variation of chocolate or coffee.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Originally posted by patissac

Hmmm are we talking haagen dazs by any chance???
    Yes we are
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Tough question. I love cake and ice cream. But not necessarily together. And I usually prefer the chocolate variety as well.

Brownies. Brownies, brownies, brownies. (Did I mention brownies?)

Susan

Right now I seem to be on a fruit cobbler/crisp/crumble kick. Now, if I could only find a fairy light one that turns out right when I make it. Sigh.

But bread pudding, cheesecake and pie are all good, too. . .
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

Hmmm...not necessarily in this order:

Bread pudding (most any kind)
    Creme brulee
    Profriteroles (sp?) w/coffee ice cream
    anything lemony
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Ice Cream (coffee, mint chocolate chip, peanut butter cup)
    Italian Cream Cake
    Cheesecake
    Sarah

Hands down, my Creme Brulee. Ridiculously simple to make and oh so good going down.

As a dessert "snack," Cinnamon Bars. I have one left from a batch I made for entertaining last weekend. I'm debating about making another batch tonight. Problem is, I have NO willpower with these, so have to make sure to give away at least half of the batch. Ahhh, there are worse problems to have.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

White chocolate cheesecake with chocolate cookie crust and summer fruit topping. I found the recipe in a Pillsbury booklet.
    Lisa

I love Apple Crisp/Crumble. I'm still on the lookout for one that is simply amazing and yet simply an apple crisp. Not the cranberry-apple crisp, not a caramel crisp...just a wonderful apple pie like thickness filling with a crunchy brownsugary crispy or crispy oatey topping. Ooooh.

I also enjoy angel food cake with strawberry syrup and whole strawberries.

Oh, then of course there is my cherry buckle cake. Love that. No recipe though...it just is!
    ERIKA (a dairy-free, and almost soy-free kind of gal)

"I don't know where she got her cooking skills from. I barely have the patience or skill to cook noodles. I'll tell you one thing, though, all she ever wanted to do as a kid was bang on pots and pans." - my mother

I love Apple Crisp/Crumble. I'm still on the lookout for one that is simply amazing and yet simply an apple crisp. Not the cranberry-apple crisp, not a caramel crisp...just a wonderful apple pie like thickness filling with a crunchy brownsugary crispy or crispy oatey topping. Ooooh.

I also enjoy angel food cake with strawberry syrup and whole strawberries.

Oh, then of course there is my cherry buckle. Love that. No recipe though...it just is!
    ERIKA (a dairy-free, and almost soy-free kind of gal)

"I don't know where she got her cooking skills from. I barely have the patience or skill to cook noodles. I'll tell you one thing, though, all she ever wanted to do as a kid was bang on pots and pans." - my mother

Bittersweet Molten Chocolate Baby Cakes-straight from the oven. Barely sweet, just intensely warm mushy dark dark chocolate. Yum.

My runners up would be fresh strawberry pie, chocolate chunk bread pudding, molten white chocolate baby cakes, lemon pudding cakes, apple crisp, cranberry orange tart, chocolate grand marnier cake.

Cheesecake, preferably flavored varieties, but plain is okay once in awhile. Don't get to eat it too often anymore, so it's even more of a treat now when I do! The other would have to be molten chocolate cakes -- love warm, gooey, rich chocolate!

Kari

Originally posted by cinnamon_queen
    When you find it, please let me know!
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

I have to agree with the many people who said creme brulee - any variety. I love the eggnog creme brulee. And I am a big fan of Missindi's recipe. I currently have a recipe for a Cardamom spiced Creme Brulee which I am waiting to find the right occasion to try (if there is such a thing).

Right behind creme brulee is Raspberry-Chocolate Cheesecake...and in the summer there is nothing I love more than homemade angel food cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream .
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

I must be the brulee desenter I wouldn't say no to a taste, but I never have the desire to order or make it.

My tops:
    Chocolate anything - preferably warm. I'm also a big fan of the fruit comination of raspberry, cranberry or peanut butter
    Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey - accept no substitutes!
    Not yo Mama's Banana Pudding - there is something about this dessert that just makes me swoon.
    Italian Cheesecake (the cannolis at my neighborhood Italian place are to die for as well..I could eat the filling with a spoon)

Chaz's faves:
    Tiramisu
    Breadpudding
    Fruit cobbler of some sort with cream/sauce

It's a good thing our dessert tastes don't jive otherwise I would probably never have lost any weight
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

I don't like creme brulee. and I am not too big on cheesecake either. or pies.

I like cakes a lot. I usually like the non-chocolate variety best, but chocolate is ok too. I guess I would have to choose a nice yellow cake with tons of frosting. Or carrot cake. Or coconut cake.

I like brownies a lot, too.

Originally posted by greysangel
    I must be the brulee desenter I wouldn't say no to a taste, but I never have the desire to order or make it.
    I have to agree. Seems like it would just be sort of like caramel flavored pudding. No joke, if I'm going to have pudding, it's Valchemist's Peanut Butter Pudding.

Jeez - I forgot about tiramisu. I'll have to add the White Russian Tiramisu to the list and to the thread on Your All Time Favorite Recipe. I think it might be a horribly decadent weekend if I don't stop reading these threads.

For me, nothing beats a straight-up dark chocolate bar. I love to let each piece of it slowly melt in my mouth. Mmmmmmm.

Second on my list would be anything with lemon curd.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

I've never met a cookie I didn't like.

I like creme brulee, and I always have it on my birthday, but I would not say its my "favorite". I got into the tradition of having it on my bday because DH doesn't bake, and I decided that I wasn't going to make my own bday cake. He always takes me out for a nice dinner, so I have it then.

I also like cakes and pies - pie probably more than cake.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Originally posted by zackaboo
    I have to agree with the many people who said creme brulee - And I am a big fan of Missindi's recipe.
    I'm making them again this weekend, with a twist. A little bit of raspberry jelly on the bottom. Never tried it before, but thought it sounded good.

Jen - have oyu had Creme Brulee before? I don't really think there's any caramel taste to it. Maybe you're thinking of flan or Creme Caramel?
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Chocolate chip cookies, hands down. The best "cookie" in the country and my favorite dessert that I have ever had is at Oregano's in Scottsdale. It is a Pizzookie: barely cooked chocolate chip cookie dough in a little deep dish pizza pan served with ice cream and chocolate sauce. I order this type of dessert anywhere I find it! Still planning on trying to perfect here at home.

If you are in Phoenix, or live there, make sure to try this dessert! Heaven.

Originally posted by MISSINDI

Jen - have oyu had Creme Brulee before? I don't really think there's any caramel taste to it. Maybe you're thinking of flan or Creme Caramel?
    Nope - I guess I figured all of those things were sort of the same thing. I mean, it is a creamy dish, right?