Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with lots of habaneros??

What to do with lots of habaneros??

I needed 1 fresh habanero for tonight's dinner party (I'm making the Carrot Habanero Soup) and all I could find were $5 packs of about 15 peppers.

What should I do with the extras?? Can I make some sort of concoction and freeze it?
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

Oh, yum

Yes, you can chop up the peppers and freeze them -- you might consider freezing them in "1 pepper" quantities so that you'll easily have one pepper when you need it next.

Now, you could also make JERK seasoning... And I'm even thinking you could freeze the pre-made marinade. Or freeze chicken IN the marinade (which might make for some pretty potent stuff).

I'll even haul out the old standard at our house:

Jerk Chicken
    from FOOD & WINE magazine

8 servings

For maximum flavor, let chicken marinate overnight.

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    3 medium scallion, coarsely chopped
    2 Scotch bonnet chiles, coarsely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 tbs five-spice powder
    1 tbs allspice berries, coarsely ground
    1 tbs coarsely ground pepper
    1 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
    1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 c soy sauce
    1 tbs vegetable oil
    2 3 1/2 to 4 pound chickens, quartered

1. In a food processor or blender, combine the onion, scallions, chiles, garlic, 5-spice powder, allspice, pepper,
    thyme, nutmeg and salt; process to a coarse paste. With the machine on, add the liquid in a steady stream. Pour
    the marinade into a large, shallow dish, add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refridgerate overnight. Bring
    the chicken to room temperature before proceeding.

2. Light a grill. Grill the chicken over a moderately high fire, turning occasionally, until well browned and cooked
    through (cover the grill for a smokier flavor). Transfer chicken to a platter and serve.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

Yummy! Thanks very much for the recipe -- I'll definately use a bunch of peppers that way.
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

Lorilei's suggestion to make a jerk sauce and freeze it is fabulous. I can tell you, it works! I made some this summer, had too much meat for the party, and just left it in the marinade and stuck it in the freezer. WHEW, and WOW! It was a little hot, but not too bad, and the meat was SOOOOOOO tasty by the time we thawed it, cooked and ate it. Yumm. Now I do that on purpose!

Another option would be to dry them and store them in an airtight container until you need them. In this case, I've found they're really extra potent, and if a recipe calls for one pepper, I use half. (A friend of mine grew some peppers, cut them in half, dried them, and gave me some, so I know this works, too.)

We love the CL Jamaican Jerk Pork Tenderloin recipe--and you can use pork or chicken (or probably beef, too, but I haven't tried that yet).

Jamaican Jerk Pork Tenderloin
    This fiery barbecue was invented by the Maroons, or runaway slaves, as a means of preserving meats without refrigeration. The more Scotch bonnet peppers you use, the more authentic the flavor. Use one pepper for a mildly spicy dish and four for a very spicy dish. (To approximate the heat of the authentic jerk marinade, you would have to use 12 Scotch bonnet peppers.) Here, we butterfly the pork to increase the surface area for the marinade to penetrate. This recipe will also work with pork loin.

2 cups coarsely chopped green onions
    ½ cup coarsely chopped onion
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 to 4 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
    1 (1½-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed
    Cooking spray

Place first 15 ingredients in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth.
    Slice pork lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Open halves, laying each side flat. Slice each half lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side; open flat. Combine pork and green onion mixture in a dish or large zip-top plastic bag. Cover or seal; marinate in refrigerator 3 to 24 hours. Remove pork from dish or bag; discard remaining marinade.
    Prepare grill.
    Place pork on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes on each side or until meat thermometer registers 160° (slightly pink).
    Wine Note: This intense dish calls for an equally dramatic wine. White-wine lovers should try a dry Gewürztraminer from Alsace, France--Hugel and Trimbach are great producers with wines starting at about $18. Red-wine lovers should try a spicy Côtes-du-Rhône from France, such as one from E. Guigal, Santa Duc, or Château Trignon ($12 to $14).
    Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces pork)
    NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES 248 (27% from fat); FAT 7.5g (sat 2g, mono 2.8g, poly 2g); PROTEIN 36.9g; CARB 7.1g; FIBER 1.5g; CHOL 111mg; IRON 3.1mg; SODIUM 1126mg; CALC 52mg;
    Cooking Light, MAY 2001

A friend of ours made habanero vinegar one Christmas for gifts. Just steeped the habs in a bottle of vinegar (I think he used a white wine vinegar) and left 'em there. It was fierce, fierce stuff, but nice (used with discretion!) in things like salad dressings (AND marinades) with the added advantage that one didn't have to get up close and personal with the evil little peppers themselves.
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."

Freezing peppers makes them stronger, so beware.

We had tons of hot peppers this summer, so some we dried and have stored in glass jars, others we "lightly pickled" and canned. The canned ones are great b/c they lost some of their heat (they were really strong before), and are great on sandwiches and pizza (my new fave!).