Community Message Boards

Thread: Discoloration on dog's nose?

Discoloration on dog's nose?

Kind of a random question - we adopted 1.5 year old golden retriever in August and i was looking at a picture of him shortly after we brought him home. His nose was totally black, but I've noticed it is no longer totally black- it's like the black rubbed off or something! He eats and drinks out of stainless steel bowls - is this the cause, and if so, is this a bad thing? should he have plastic bowls?

I remember reading about this happening and how it could involved bowls. This is what I've found so far on this subject - depigmentation - and this vet makes it sound like plastic is the culprit.

If you read down further, there are other possible causes, one being cold weather.

I have noticed that Bailey's nose is also more brown than it was before. I wonder if it's not just a natural change as they age too? I do love the black nose, but my gut says that it's only an aesthetic thing - something that would only matter if you showed or bred dogs since black noses seem to be desirable in some breeds.

I'll be interested to hear what others have to say. I was just wondering about that myself the other day.

Alysha

One of my dogs has a black nose, the other dog's nose turns pink and goes back to brown depending on the season. They are perfectly healthy even when their nose isn't black. I actually don't even notice it - my girlfriend always points it out when she comes over (it fascinates her for some reason?).

They do drink from a plastic water bowl, but eat from stainless steel bowls. I highly doubt this has anything to do with anything.

Totally normal. Happens in a lot of Goldens. Cold weather is certainly part of it, and I have heard that bowls could make a difference, though I can't remember which way it goes (which kind of bowls may help cause the nose to change colour). Also, I can't say for sure that the bowl thing is true - it is something I've heard though. I have seen the depigmentation progress as dogs age too.

My Retriever pup (not a Golden this time, but a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever) is going through his first winter and his nose has changed colour a tiny bit, but not much.
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

My white german shepherd had a black nose at birth and now it is mostly brown and pink. She uses a stainless water bowl and a pottery food bowl, I think it's a commonplace thing and not something caused by bowls.
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

Good point about the cold weather. Pete lived in Tennessee before he came up here to Boston, so there probably wasn't as much cold weather and snow down there!

Oh, and Natasha - I love NS Duck Tolling retrievers! we looked into getting one of those. They are awesome dogs.

It's plastic bowls, not stainless, that can cause depigmentation. At least that's what we were told by our vet several years ago. We were assured it's nothing to worry about, though.

It's due to the winter weather. It's commonly called a "snow nose". The nose will return to black once spring comes. Very common - our Golden's nose hasn't changed but many Golden's noses at the dog park are lighter!