Community Message Boards

Thread: best tasting "no trans fat" margarine?

Question best tasting "no trans fat" margarine?

Does anyone out there have a margarine spread that they like the taste of but doesn't have trans fat? Or is it just better to go with butter and be done with it?

I'm curious what others are using. Thanks!

We've ditched margerine altogether.

I'd prefer to stick to butter, olive oil, and virgin coconut oil - all of which are natural sources of fat.

We do use non-hydrogenated shortening for baking here and there, but that's about the extent of it.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

I like the Brummel and Brummel spread. It says no trans fat on the tub, and we use just a little from time to time. I think it has a great taste.

I use the Fleishman's olive oil margarine. I haven't really tried others so I don't know how it compares taste-wise, but my family got hooked on squeeze margarine years ago and I really like having it around. I also keep a tub of the soft version in the fridge.

I just use it for everyday cooking, though, when I want the taste of butter on my vegetables or bread instead of olive oil. If I'm doing any baking or cooking for guests I still use butter.

P.S. I know that using coconut oil is popular in some circles now, but every source I trust says it's still not a good idea. Dr. Andrew Weil has an article about it here: http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA316479/

I use Smart Balance. I think it's good, not a bad taste though definately not tasting like butter! There's nothing better tasting than butter IMO.

I buy the Land O' Lakes butter/olive oil in the tub. DH prefers the Brummel & Brummel. But mostly I use extra virgin olive oil, cold-pressed canola, avocado or walnut oils.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

DH and I use Earth Balance from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.
    It really tastes like butter.

I use so little butter that I just use butter when it is absolutely necessary -- otherwise I saute in small amounts of olive, peanut or canola oil as most appropriate to the food.

Some years ago, I decided that any bread, roll or muffin that wasn't worth eating without butter, wasn't worth eating

On those occasions when I do decide to have butter, there is nothing quite as wonderful as the taste though.

Thank you very much! I'm going to give some of these other ideas a try, and also use butter a little bit more as well (as opposed to the margarine I've been using). Thank you!

we keep Smart Balance on hand for very occasional use; the 2 small tubs package lasts 6 mos., which means that we rarely "butter" toast, e.g. we use low-fat cream cheese, or melted swiss, or homemade jam or hummus for a slather. i only bake with butter or oil.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

We use Smart Balance Light, which is not only non-hydrogenated but also dairy-free.

We also use Brommel & Brown for "buttering" rolls/toast, potatoes, etc. It takes yummy and creamy, due to the yogurt. I have a cholesterol issue, so it works for us. I found margarines too greasy. We do not use it for cooking. I use butter for that, and just don't do it often.
    "I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"

I just started using the Smart Balance Light and it is not bad at all.

I was trying to use the "spray butter" for awhile but that stuff is just nasty.

Christine

Another vote for Earth Balance. My daughter was alergic to dairy when she was little - that is when we started using it.

As a treat not too long ago, I put real butter on the kids noodles one night. Both of them looked at me and said "Ewww... what did you do to the butter on the noodles?" They far prefer the Earth Balance!

K
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

http://livlifetoo.blogspot.com/ Visit Kim's food blog!

We also use B & B also...but I've recently discovered coconut oil; here's where I it get if the store at work is out of the Garden of Life brand...I almost always add it to brown rice now, and it's great for cooking:

http://www.mercola.com/forms/coconut_oil.htm

Good stuff!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~