Community Message Boards

Thread: My final project in pastry class!

Cool My final project in pastry class!

Today was my last day of class at the French Culinary Institute. Our final project was a two-tiered special occasion cake that we made last Saturday and decorated this Saturday. Here are the pictures from class with everyone's cakes. Mine is the Happy Birthday one (we had to have a theme, and most people used Valentine's Day).

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/laurah...boyd/my_photos

Those are beautiful! So impressive!

Hi Laura - your cake is so fun! I love it.
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

What a great experience you had! I loved all the cakes, and yours was great.
    Margaret

What beautiful cakes! Yours was so fun!
    "I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation" John Cusack, Say Anything

All the cakes look amazing, what a great experience you must have had. Makes me want to look for a class in my neck of the woods.

Laura, what fun! Looks like you had a good time, and the cakes are all great. So when's the tasting?

Seriously, I would love to do something like that too.

Laura - it's beautiful! You should be really proud! All the cakes looked wonderful. I bet it's been a great experience for you.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

Wow, those are impressive! Yours is so fun looking!!
    Karen

Those are beautiful. Are you working with fondant? I took a decorating class years ago - simple, not so advanced as yours, We make buttercream roses with the decorator tip, and I seem to remember somehow molding flowers. It has been a while ago!

Originally posted by madpots
    Are you working with fondant?
    Yes, we were required to cover our cakes with fondant for this project. We made the fondant from scratch. Many people used marzipan for decorating (the roses and the love heart box) and many others used colored fondant (polka dots, hearts) for their decorations, in addition to using royal icing. My Happy Birthday letters were made with royal icing.

I would love to take a class just on cake decorating. I would really love to learn to pipe flowers. And, also, I want to get more practice working with decorting cakes in general. My cake, while impressive compared to your everyday cake, looks very amature-ish. It looks cute, but certain elements were harder to pull off than I anticipated. The ruffle is pretty pathetic (I made that from gumpaste) and my white pearl borders are also pretty bad.

My next class is on artisanal bread. I can't wait!

Laura, your cake was wonderful as were all the others. What a great experience.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Congrats Laura!

I've eyed the class you took several times, but I decided to go back to graduate school instead. There are definitely days I regret my choice.

But you should be so proud ... its been a long trip but look at the awesome product!

Congrats!