Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's new?

What's new?

I tried two new items this week that I really enjoyed.

1) Carr's crackers with rosemary. Yum, these are positively addictive and I can't wait to try it with various toppings

2) LaCroix cran-raspberry flavor. Very refreshing, not quite as subtle as some of the other flavors. I like it.

What's new with you?
    ~ I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure ~ Boscoe Pertwee

I have been on a Panini kick this week. Today was tomato and fresh mozarella. Yesterday was fontina, red onion and prosciutto. Yum.
    Karen

I'm trying yogurt again for the first time in a few years. Never have cared for the stuff, but every so often I re-try foods I don't like to see if maybe my tastes have changed and I like them now. So I choked my way through a container of vanilla yogurt the other day, topped with granola...not so bad I was willing to scrap it and find another snack, but not so enjoyable that I want to eat it again. Still have several other flavors in the fridge to try, so there's still hope...

Oh, and the new Hershey bars with the chocolate filling are awesome!!

Kari

DH bought me some Hershey's Dark Chocolate Nuggets with Raspberry. Lovely thought, but I pitched the whole bag this afternoon. They tasted very fakey and somewhat chemically. I gave hime some Vosges bars, so we agreed not to share the good stuff and pitch the bad.

My DH bought some crackers from Whole Foods that were delicios.. they are the 365 brand and were Rosemary - yumy with soft cheese. Also I have fallen in love with Bear Naked Granola - SO ADDICTIVE!!!
    ~ Alyssa

Pilgrim, have you ever tried cream top yogurt? It's a lot tastier than the low fat stuff and much more satisfying.

I also tried this recipe for the first time tonight. I've only made braised short ribs once before, they were a three day complicated affair. These were MUCH easier and still very tasty. I'm hooked on braising as a method of cooking now. Want to experiment more with it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Wine and mustard braised short ribs

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 bottle red wine -- zinfandel, syrah or burgundy
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 pounds short ribs -- boneless
    salt and pepper
    2 onions -- chopped
    1 can tomatoes -- fire roasted, chopped
    3 tablespoons coarse mustard

In a large dutch oven, boil wine reducing by half. Stir in mustard.

Meanwhile, salt and pepper the short ribs. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saute pan over med-high heat and brown the short ribs on all sides. Set aside. In the same pan saute the onions for about 5 minutes, pour in the can of tomatoes (undrained) and deglaze. Turn off the heat and set aside.

When the wine is reduced, put the meat in the pan with the wine, cover and simmer on low heat for about 2 hours. Add in the tomato and onion mixture. Continue simmering for about another 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with pasta (like creamy parmesan orzo). Makes for great leftovers.

My new thing is the dried mango from Trader Joe's. I can't get enough of the stuff. I've made the mistake of only buying one package at a time - next time I go I'm going to buy a few.

The first time I had the sweetened dried mango and it was great but now I get the unsweetened and it really is just as good. It has more of a mango flavor. When I looked at the ingredients of the sweetened dried mango and saw that sugar was before mango , I knew I had to make the change.

I bought Stonyfield Farms Banilla Yogurt. YUM. Tastes like banana cream pie.

To go with it, I bought Bear Naked Banana Nut Crunch Granola. Also YUM. Very fattening, though. (1/4 cup has 6 grams).

Whole Foods was giving out samples of the granola topped yogurt...can you tell I'm a sucker for samples?
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

Originally posted by beckms
    I bought Stonyfield Farms Banilla Yogurt. YUM. Tastes like banana cream pie.
    I love that stuff. One of my vet student neighbors in Ithaca got me hooked. He used to go through 3 or 4 of the huge containers every week!

New around here- Wegmans now has store-brand light yogurt made with Splenda- yum! I love the orange cream flavor.

DH is on a Black Pepper Jack Doritos kick...

Originally posted by gertdog

I love that stuff. One of my vet student neighbors in Ithaca got me hooked. He used to go through 3 or 4 of the huge containers every week!

Must be a vet student thing...

Too bad you can't get it in nonfat, though.
    -Rebecca

--DH, aka "Coach"

rosie_one: that short rib recipe looks fabulous. I just downloaded mastercook 8.0 and this is the first recipe I'm adding Wish me luck!

How about this wisconsin weather...?

Thanks xtina. (At least the sun shone for a bit today.)

You've gotta love a recipe that starts with a whole bottle of wine.

By the way, 8 servings for that recipe is a fairly small serving for each. You could probably use 3 lbs. of meat in the same amount of liquid and be just fine if you wanted a little larger portions. Hope you enjoy it and your new Mastercook.

Thanks for the tip Rosie I'll be sure to note that.

Blue skies and sunshine today - about time!

And yes, I'm loving my new Mastercook - I was up waaay too late last night playing w/ it *yawn*

Rosie, what is cream topped yogurt? I can find Stonyfield Farm Plain and Vanilla Yogurt in a whole milk style, but I've never seen anything labled Cream Topped.

And I'd also like to thank you for posting the short rib recipe. I wasn't aware you could buy short ribs boneless, or did you debone them yourself?

"The Heat is On: Hot and Spicy Peanut Butter"! It's fantastic! We've had it on crackers and plan on using it in satay sauce this weekend. Picked it up on a whim at Whole foods. The only problem is that I can't believe I spent $5 for a jar of peanut butter!

Yummy, though.

-Donna
    No matter how you slice the baloney, there are always two sides!

Originally posted by beckms

Must be a vet student thing...

Too bad you can't get it in nonfat, though.
    Wait, you can't get it in nonfat? That used to be the *only* option. It only came in the 32 ounce container and it was the "Planet Protectors" line of Stonyfield products, with a superhero cow on the front. And it was nonfat Banilla yogurt. Boo on them if they've changed the product line!

Stacy's Pita Chips

Not new, but new to us! The Stop n Shop by my work has FINALLY started carrying them. I have my DBF hooked on them (much healthier than the bags of Tostitos he usally goes through!! ) And I love dumping the crumbs at the bottom the bag into my soup! Mmmm..

Leigh
    "Nobody likes beets, Dwight! Why don't you grow something that everybody does like? You should grow candy" -Michael Scott

Originally posted by Delanl
    Stacy's Pita Chips

Not new, but new to us! The Stop n Shop by my work has FINALLY started carrying them. I have my DBF hooked on them (much healthier than the bags of Tostitos he usally goes through!! ) And I love dumping the crumbs at the bottom the bag into my soup! Mmmm..

Leigh
    Ack! Love those things! We get them at Costco in that HUGE bag, thinking they will last a while. Every time I go to the pantry they're all gone!
    Karen

Originally posted by jellyben

Ack! Love those things! We get them at Costco in that HUGE bag, thinking they will last a while. Every time I go to the pantry they're all gone!
    I love those! A few months back, both Wild Oats and Fresh Market had some but now I can't find them anywhere. So sad!
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

Last time we were at SIL's house, she had me taste some pumpkin preserves . I was very skeptical, and I only tried them to be polite. I promptly went out and bought two jars of them to take home with me! Wonderful stuff! I am going to have to find a local source, though, because I am almost finished with the second jar....
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Lamb Chopper cheese!

I just discovered this about three weeks ago and have already bought it three times . Wonderful smooth, nutty flavor, neither neither overwhelming nor bland. And, it was exactly the cheese I've been looking for to replace mozzarella in baked pasta dishes. The above article suggests a very limited distribution, but it's over a year old so perhaps it's more widely available now.

I'm also fond of the 365 Rosemary Crackers and Deli crackers (which have all kinds of seeds on top, like an everything bagel).

Yesterday I tried a Cinnamon Crunch bagel from Panera. Yum.

Originally posted by jtoepfert100
    I love those! A few months back, both Wild Oats and Fresh Market had some but now I can't find them anywhere. So sad!
    We can SO take care of that! I'll pick up a few bags for you this weekend -- make some space.

I like the Doritos Black Pepper Jack chips too, but find the Jack flavor a little overpowering. That's mostly because when someone mentioned it, I thought they were just black pepper, which I really like (Herr makes some), so I think my tastebuds were ready for that, and weren't prepared for the Jack too.

One of our local grocery stores makes fresh gelato, and I am dangerously hooked on their Almond Brittle flavor. I thought the Hazelnut was my favorite, until I tried this one. Heaven, especially with a little honey drizzled on top. Yum!
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Pirate's Booty has a new flavor called "Girlfriend Bootie". It's a crunchy snack food (of course) made mostly of soy and comes in sour cream & onion flavor and barbecue. The barbecue flavor was very good, especially considering it has 6 grams of protein per oz and very few carbs.

Newman's Own Ginger Sandwich Cookies As much as I like Paul Newman, I've avoided many of his cookies for a few reasons I won't go into. Ginger + sandwich cookie was a combination I couldn't avoid, so I shelled out the $3.50 or so for a box. Man, are they good! They are spicy and the texture of the cookie part is firmer and more substantial than an Oreo. The creme filling is also very, very smooth. These definitely exceeded my expectations.

Originally posted by Kathy B
    Last time we were at SIL's house, she had me taste some pumpkin preserves . I was very skeptical, and I only tried them to be polite. I promptly went out and bought two jars of them to take home with me! Wonderful stuff! I am going to have to find a local source, though, because I am almost finished with the second jar....
    If you want a taste of Nirvana, mix some of those preserves with some cream cheese and spread it on toasted cinnamon raisin bread or bagel.
    Galinda didn't often stop to consider whether she believed in what she said or not; the whole point of conversation was flow. -- Gregory Maguire: Wicked
    The only time a cold, blank stare is a correct response is when a stranger invites you to get better acquainted with his deity or the contents of his trousers.
    ----Miss Conduct, Boston Globe Magazine etiquette columnist

The Stonyfield vanilla, whole milk, is labeled cream top at my store. You can stir in the creamy layer to the rest of the container.

The short ribs are really good... My butcher cuts boneless ribs, but they would work bone-in too. I just prefer the boneless for presentation. More notes about those, they have a very winey flavor to them. If you wanted it to be less prominent, you could use 1 cup wine and 2 cups stock (chicken or beef would work). Also, you want to reduce the liquid in the first step so that the liquid in the pan is about 1" deep. They are more tender if they don't cook fully submerged. Sorry, I just realized that my directions aren't that clear.

I noticed pumpkin preserves at my grocery last week and wondered about them. Thanks for suggesting that, I'll pick some up! Momqat, that cream cheese thing sounds awesome.

I know I am probably very late in discovering these, but the Kashi TLC crackers (no trans fats!!) are YUMMY!

also, if you live in the Boston area, I have been going to the South end Formaggio and am in love with the smoked mozzarella/ sun dried tomato spread... unbelievable on the 365 rosemary crackers. I am starving now thinking of it...

oh and I also recently tried the Bear Naked granola in banana nut and it was delish! I really love the High Protein version too... mmmm... so hungry now!!!
    ~ Alyssa

I recently tried some goat's milk yogurt from Whole Foods. I've always been curious, but it's so expensive...well now I can rest assured I will never have to squander money on it again. It was foul. I tried the strawberry flavor, and just could not get past the goaty tang.

I do love goat cheese, but I'll keep it savory from now on!
    -Rebecca

--DH, aka "Coach"

I found Tostitos brand 1/3 less fat torilla chips and they are sooooo much better than the baked ones we have been using. Highly recommend.
    We don't indulge often but love homemade nachos so we really enjoyed.

Originally posted by momqat

If you want a taste of Nirvana, mix some of those preserves with some cream cheese and spread it on toasted cinnamon raisin bread or bagel.
    Actually, that is very similar to what we do! I spread feta cheese on lavash or some other kind of soft flat bread, then top it with the preserves. A cup of hot tea to go with it, and I have a breakfast from heaven!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!