Community Message Boards

Thread: Recipe for 'Fire Crackers' - Seasoned Saltine Crackers

Recipe for 'Fire Crackers' - Seasoned Saltine Crackers

A teacher friend brought these up to school while I was taking yearbook pictures (my PTO contribution this year). They were YUMMY!

I haven't tried to make them yet --

****FIRE CRACKERS****

4 sleeves Premium Saltines
    1-1/4 cups canola oil
    2 Tbsp. Crushed Red Pepper (Pizza Pepper)
    1 Tsp Garlic powder
    1/2 Tsp. Onion powder
    1 pkg. Dry Ranch Salad Dressing Mix

Stand all crackers on their edges (like papers in a file) in a large bowl or Dutch Oven. Have a second bowl of similar size ready.

Mix all remaining ingredients in a small bowl to become a dressing.

Pour this mixture over the crackers. Let the dressing drain down and let set for 15 minutes. Transfer the crackers into the second bowl by hand. Reuse the same 'dressing' over the crackers again. Let sit for 15 more minutes. Repeat this cycle 2 more times.

Remove crackers from any remaining liquid and store in an air-tight container.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

Ok, if anything, these sound quite interesting. I think i'll give em a try! Thanks for posting.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

They sound like the oyster crackers that you coat with spices and dry ranch dressing. Addictive.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

I sampled these at a party last year...very addictive. Didn't ask the woman who made them for the recipe because I really don't like her so thanks for sharing!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I am quite addicted to these crackers. Try to keep some on hand. My recipe says put the crackers in a one gallon wide mouth jar, close the lid and roll or turn upside down ever so often.
    I also found that putting the crackers in a gallon ziploc bag made it even easier. I think moving the crackers by hand would be messy and time consuming.
    One time when I was making the recipe I was looking for the Ranch dressing mix - which should not be buttermilk - and had all my mixes out. I used the Honey Mustard mix by mistake and it was delicious. So now I alternate and am going to experiment with other mixes.

This sounds like a great snack to have with a nice cold beer!
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.