Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitution for Uneeda Biscuits

Question Substitution for Uneeda Biscuits

I am looking at a recipe for a crustless quiche I received on another message board. It uses 6 Uneeda Biscuits that are crumbled and mixed with the egg/cheese mixture. I've never seen this product in our stores. Do any of you know an equivalent? Thanks.

Uneeda biscuits (i always loved that name! - goes back to the 1930's, at least) are like large, puffy, unsalted saltines--they're a very plain, dry cracker. you might still find them in the baby food aisle (like zweibacks). the closest thing, taste-wise, would be unsalted saltines, or oyster crackers (the little plain hexagonal things that go in soup). there's also a bisquit in the mexican section that looks similar.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

I googled the product and it appears to be a Nabisco product that can still be ordered online here but on this site it looks similar to a Ritz cracker so maybe you could sub that?

Robyn

Editing to say I could be wrong with the Ritz idea since I haven't had them. Aubergine probably has a better idea since she's had them.

Smile Thanks Aubergine & Robyn 1007

I'm just out the door to the grocery store. Thanks for the timely replies.

TRY this.
    4 eggs
    1 and 1 half cups milk
    1 half c. melted butter
    1 half Cbiscuit mix(like Bisquick)
    1 cup shredded cheese
    blend together and pour into greased pie
    sprinkle with herbes de provence
    bake at 350 degrees 40-45 min.
    cool before cutting
    Marianne Liedtke

Yummmmm! I (((love))) herbes de provence!

Annie's Crustless Quiche

Here's the recipe. I didn't find Uneeda Biscuits or anything resembling them except unsalted saltines, so I used stone ground wheat crackers I already had in the pantry. I think their flavor could be detected in the quiche, but overall, the result was tasty. I would make it again. I used a 6 ounce jar of artichokes. 12 ounces just seemed like a lot of artichokes for an 8x8 dish. Next time, I won't forget to reserve the artichoke marinade and add it to the ingredients. Maybe that's why this was a little on the dry side. LOL. Anyway, it was very tasty, but heavy on the fat for a CL bulletin board.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Anne's Crustless Quiche

Recipe By :Travis and Jenn Bartimus" <twbart72@usipp.net
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 pound Cheddar cheese -- or Monterey Jack cheese
    4 eggs -- beaten
    1 jar (12 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts -- quartered (reserve marinade), chopped fine
    6 green onions -- diced
    6 Uneeda biscuits
    2 tablespoons minced parsley
    1/2 clove garlic -- minced
    1 dash Tabasco sauce
    1/8 teaspoon oregano

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all the ingredients and turn mixture into an 8 x 8 inch pan greased with reserved marinade. Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in pan and cut into small squares. Reheat at 325 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, if desired

Source:
    "recipeclub2004@groups.yahoo.com"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 317 Calories; 24g Fat (68.8% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 272mg Cholesterol; 449mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Re: Annie's Crustless Quiche

Originally posted by Judy K.
    Here's the recipe. I didn't find Uneeda Biscuits or anything resembling them except unsalted saltines, so I used stone ground wheat crackers I already had in the pantry. I think their flavor could be detected in the quiche, but overall, the result was tasty. I would make it again. Anyway, it was very tasty, but heavy on the fat for a CL bulletin board.
    My mother used to make something she called "cheese crackers". I'm not sure of the exact measurement of ingredients but could find out if anyone's interested, but basically she mixed pot cheese, or farmer's cheese (I don't remember which) eggs, and sugar, made a sandwich of this between two Uneeda biscuits and fried them lightly in a little oil. They were great. I'm not sure it'll work, but maybe Carr's Water Crackers can be subbed for the Uneedas. Anyway, back to the quiche; thanks for posting the recipe, Judy. We love artichokes and I'll have to try this. To lighten up the fat a little, I'll try using egg substitute and Kraft 2% Cheddar Cheese.
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

there is no liquid in your recipe. I would imagine it was dry!!Or did I copy it wrong?
    Marianne Liedtke

Originally posted by Marianne Liedtke
    there is no liquid in your recipe. I would imagine it was dry!!Or did I copy it wrong?
    I think the reserved marinade from the artichokes adds the necessary liquid...
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain