Community Message Boards

Thread: First Course Soups

First Course Soups

Since reading the thread on eating as the French do, I've been looking for first course soups. Here are two that I have made. Both are very good.

Do any of you have some that aren't made with carrots?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy Carrot Soup

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 garlic cloves -- chopped
    3/4 cup onion -- diced
    1 tablespoon ginger -- peeled and chopped
    3 cups carrots -- peeled and chopped
    4 cups vegetable stock
    2 tablespoons rice
    1 cup plain lowfat Stonyfield Farm Yogurt
    2/3 tablespoon cornstarch
    Salt and Pepper to Taste

Using a small stock pot, heat olive oil, over a medium-high flame. Once hot, add ginger, onions and garlic, and sauté until onions begin to soften and turn translucent in color. Add carrots, vegetable stock and rice, and simmer for 30 minutes or until carrots break apart easily. Using a blender or food processor, puree the soup until smooth. Return the soup to the pot, and heat over a medium flame. In a small bowl, combine yogurt and cornstarch, and blend until well mixed. Stir this mixture into the soup, being careful not to bring the soup back to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with a dollop of plain yogurt.

Calories 130; Calories from Fat 45; Total Fat 5g; Carbohydrates 17g; Protein 4g; Fiber 3g

Description:
    "This simple soup is not only easy to make, but it is very low in fat and calories as well"
    Source:
    "Stonyfieldfarms.com"
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://recipes.stonyfield.com/recipecategories.cfm"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 231 Calories; 8g Fat (30.3% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 1137mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Nutrition information in the directions section was taken from stonyfieldfarms.com. It differs significantly from mastercook's calculation.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 20158 0 0

Cream of Carrot Soup

Recipe By :Jim Fobel
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : soups and stews

2 cups baby carrots -- (1/2-inch) sliced
    2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme -- divided
    1 garlic clove -- crushed
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    2 cups 1% low-fat milk
    dash ground nutmeg
    2 teaspoons butter
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind

Combine carrots, broth, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, and garlic in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Place carrot mixture in a blender; process until smooth.

Place flour in pan. Gradually add the milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add pureed carrots and ground nutmeg; stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 teaspoon thyme, butter, salt, and lemon rind.

Serving size: 1 cups.

Calories 112 (28% from fat); Fat 3.5g (sat 2g, mono 0.8g, poly 0.2g); Protein 6.7g; Carbohydrates 13.4g; Fiber 1.1g; Cholesterol 13mg; Iron 0.6mg; Sodium 765mg; Calcium 152mg

Source: "Cooking Light Magazine, April 2002, page 184"
    S(Formatted by): "Wilma Dye"
    Copyright: "© 2002 by Southern Living, Inc."

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 121 Calories; 4g Fat (27.7% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 522mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I don't know if there are any specific criteria for a first-course soup, but I expect you would want it on the light side?

Anyway, this soup from CL seems to fit my idea of a first-course soup. Not easy to find good tomatoes this time of year, but I'll bet canned would work in a pinch.

TOMATO-BASIL SOUP

4 cups chopped seeded peeled tomato (about 4
    large)
    4 cups low-sodium tomato juice
    1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
    1 cup 1% low-fat milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
    Basil leaves , thinly sliced (optional)
    8 slices diagonally cut French bread baguette (1/2-inch-thick)

1. Bring tomato and juice to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.

2. Place tomato mixture and basil in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Return puréed mixture to pan; stir in milk, salt, and pepper. Add cream cheese, stirring well with a whisk, and cook over medium heat until thick (about 5 minutes). Ladle soup into individual bowls; garnish with sliced basil, if desired. Serve with bread. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup soup and 1 bread slice). Note: Refrigerate remaining soup in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

3. Cal 133 (30% from fat); Fat 4.4g (sat 2.4g, mono 1.3g, poly .4g); Protein 5.4g; Carb 18.7g; Fiber 1.9g; Chol 12mg; Iron 1.5 mg; Sodium 310 mg; Calc 77mg.

Alysha

Judy,
    Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your recipes. We've been doing the same thing and I have also been searching for first course soups. I made the French Onion Soup form the Jan/Feb '05 CL and it was wonderful as a first course and since I had cooked it down to 6 cups it lasted for about 4 meals for the two of us. I recently had some soup that was made with smoked gouda and cauliflower that I'm looking to recreate. I made this shrimp bisque on Friday and it was very good. It was quite a bit of effort for only 8 servings (at a half cup each) so I increased both the stock and the water and it was still a fairly thick bisque. Had some leftover for my first course last night and it was still very tasty!

Shrimp Bisque
    Recipe courtesy of Herbsaint Restaurant
    Yield: 8 servings
    Zest Factor: Medium

2 tbs butter, divided (I used unsalted)
    1 cups chopped celery
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chooped carot
    1/2 cup chopped scallion
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp cayenne
    3 tsp salt, divided (I only used one)
    2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
    5 large shrimp, shells on and chopped
    2 cups shrimp stock (I used 4 of the stock and 4 of the water as I wanted more servings)
    2 cups water
    1/4 cup white rice
    1 sprig fresh tarragon
    dash of brandy (didn't use)
    dash of Herbsaint (it's a mild licorice flavored liqueur from New Orleans...didn't use)
    1/2 cup heavy cream (kept the amount the same even though I doubled the stock and water)

In a heavy-bottomed saucepot, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, scallions, paprika, cayenne and 1 teaspoon of salt, and sauté until the vegetables soften.
    Add the tomatoes and shrimp, and cook until the tomatoes break down, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add shrimp stock, water, and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Add the rice and cook for another 10 minutes, and add the tarragon. Simmer for 5 minutes, and remove from the heat. Pour soup into a blender, and purée (you may have to do this in batches) Note: I strained the solids first and put in the blender with just enough liquid to purée them and then put through the sieve.
    Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean saucepan. Add the brandy, Herbsaint, cream and remaining tbs of butter, and heat through. (I prepared the soup earlier in the day and refrigerated it until this step and then added the cream, butter and a bit of vermouth while re-heating it.) Season with remaining 2 teaspoons of salt (didn't use) and serve with a choice of hot sauces (didn't need, had plenty of bite as is).
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Found this over at Epicurious and I think I'll be making it tonight with the smoked gouda:

Cream of Cauliflower Soup with Saffron

A delicate starter with a velvety texture.
    Market Tip: Freshly picked cauliflower is sweeter than the supermarket variety (and, when cooked, doesn't release the sulfurous smell that older cauliflower does).

2 cups water
    2 cups low-salt chicken broth
    1/8 teaspoon coarsely crumbled saffron threads

3 tablespoons butter
    2 cups chopped onions
    1 1/2 pounds cauliflower, cut into1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces

3/4 cup half and half
    Thinly sliced fresh chives

Combine 2 cups water and 2 cups low-salt chicken broth in medium saucepan. Bring mixture just to simmer. Remove from heat. Add saffron threads. Cover and steep 20 minutes.

Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy medium pot over medium-low heat. Add chopped onions and sauté until very tender but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add cauliflower pieces; stir to coat. Add saffron broth. Bring to simmer over high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until cauliflower pieces are tender, about 20 minutes.

Working in batches, puree cauliflower mixture in food processor until smooth. Transfer cauliflower puree to large saucepan. Stir in half and half and bring to simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before serving.) Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with sliced fresh chives and serve.

Makes 6 first-course servings.
    Bon Appétit
    January 2003
    Last edited by sneezles; 02-20-2005 at 03:48 PM.

Here's another cauliflower soup that's delicious and I think of as an opener for a beef entrée. You can sub Cambozola, Roquefort, blue, etc for the Stilton if desired. A smoothly satisfying soup.

From Donna@Chatelaine

STILTON CAULIFLOWER SOUP

- a Gourmet recipe
    Active time: 25 min
    Start to finish: 1 hr

1 medium onion, finely chopped
    2 celery ribs, strings removed with a vegetable peeler and ribs finely chopped
    1/2 lb cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets (2 1/4 cups)
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1/3 cup crumbled Stilton cheese (2 oz)
    1/2 cup light cream or half-and-half
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Garnish: croutons and crumbled Stilton

Cook onion, celery, and cauliflower in butter in a 3 1/2- to 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion and celery are softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add broth and 1 cup milk and simmer, covered, until cauliflower is very tender, about 25 minutes. Purée cauliflower mixture in 2 batches in a blender until very smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), then return to cleaned saucepan and bring to a simmer. Whisk together cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons milk in a small bowl until cornstarch is dissolved, then add to soup and simmer, whisking, until soup is slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add Stilton, cream, pepper, and salt and cook over low heat, whisking, until Stilton is melted and soup is smooth, about 1 minute Cooks' note: • Soup can be made 1 day ahead and cooled completely, uncovered, then chilled, covered. Reheat over moderate heat, stirring.
    Makes about 4 1/2 cups or 4 servings.
    Gourmet January 2003

Donna's notes: **I've made this with 3.5% milk when I had no cream, it worked, but wasn't as silky **I've sometimes used Gorganzola..it melts very fast and is really nice, a bit creamier and "sweeter" than Stilton **I like to add 1/2 cup white wine in place of some of my (homemade)chicken stock.
    Andy's note: Croutons made from leftover rosemary foccacia are so good with this it's sinful.
    Cheers! Andy

Darn it Andy! Where were you with that recipe? I just came back to post that I made the cauliflower soup I'd posted earlier and added 8 oz diced gouda, it's very tasty and very close to the soup I had at the club. But I'd have much rather had Stilton!! Well, next go round it will be that soup!

Been my favorite for years...

Broccoli Soup with Stilton Wontons

1/3 c clarified butter ( I used margarine)
    1 sm onion; sliced
    5 garlic cloves; chopped
    1 head broccoli; chopped
    3 qt chicken stock
    1 salt and pepper

------------------------STILTON WONTONS------------------------------
    8 wonton skins
    4 oz stilton; crumbled
    1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon
    - milk; for eggwash
    1/4 c vegetable oil
    1 green onion; finely chopped,
    - for garnish

Instructions

In a large pot saute onions and garlic in clarified butter until onions are translucent. Add broccoli and saute until coated. Add chicken stock, bring to a boil, and simmer 45 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Puree soup in a blender or food processor.

Make wontons: On work surface lay out wonton skins, one at a time and
    mound a scant tablespoonful of cheese in the center. Brush edges with egg
    wash and fold over, corner to corner, pressing edges together to seal.
    Repeat with remaining wonton skins. Heat oil in a large skillet and fry until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.

Reheat soup to simmering and ladle into 4 bowls. Top each with 2 wontons and serve
    immediately, sprinkled with green onion.

Yield: 4 Servings
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Well, sneezles, I didn't want to interfere with you experimenting with your recipe. Now you'll have even more fun trying another.
    Cheers! Andy

Thai-Style Pumpkin Soup

Here is tonight's effort. It was good enough, but not WOW. I will probably keep the recipe to make again at some point in the future. I cut the crushed red back to 1/8 teaspoon but DSO still thought it was too hot.

Thai-Style Pumpkin Soup

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

2 cans (16 ounces) low-sodium defatted chicken broth
    1 can (15 ounce) pumpkin
    1 can (12 ounce) mango nectar
    1/4 cup reduced-fat chunky peanut butter
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced green onions
    1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
    1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 garlic clove -- crushed
    Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a large Dutch oven, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.

Combine 1 cup pumpkin mixture and peanut butter in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Return mixture to pan. Stir in vinegar and next 5 ingredients (vinegar through garlic); cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES 142 (27% from fat); FAT 4.2g (sat 0.9g,mono 1.9g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 5.6g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 29mg; SODIUM 401mg; FIBER 4g; IRON 1.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 20.7g

Description:
    "If you have someone who doesn't like pumpkin in anything else, let them try this soup. If you don't have fresh pumpkin, canned works just as well."
    Source:
    "Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 1998"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 91 Calories; 4g Fat (38.4% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 278mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 4089 25051 0 0 20060 0 0 0 0

this is one of my favorite soups. I make a meal out of it usually, but it would be a great first-course.
    I will say I've made a few shortcuts when I don't have time to do it as written and it's turned out fine.

SPICY SWEET CORN AND POBLANO SOUP

3 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
    vegetable oil for coating garlic
    1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
    1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
    3 medium sweet onions such as Vidalia, Walla Walla, or Maui
    2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon peanut or vegetable oil
    1/2 fresh jalapeño chili
    2 fresh poblano chilies, roasted and peeled
    3 ears corn
    6 cups chicken broth
    1 cup heavy cream
    12 long fresh coriander sprigs
    2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
    1 red bell pepper, roasted and peeled
    Garnish: 8 short fresh coriander sprigs

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Coat garlic lightly with vegetable oil and wrap in foil. Bake garlic 30 minutes, or until soft.

In a dry small heavy skillet toast coriander and cumin seeds over moderately high heat, stirring, until fragrant and several shades darker. In an electric coffee/spice grinder grind seeds to powder.

Chop onions and in a 6-quart heavy kettle cook in 2 tablespoons oil over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Reserve about one third onions in a small bowl. Wearing rubber gloves, slice jalapeño and chop roasted poblanos (abut 1 cup). Remove kernels from ears of corn (about 2 cups), reserving cobs. To onions in kettle add jalapeño and 1 cup corn kernels and cook over moderate heat, stirring, 2 minutes. Add ground spices, 1/2 cup poblanos, and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Cut reserved corn cobs into thirds and add with broth to corn mixture. Simmer soup, uncovered, 30 minutes.

In a small heavy skillet sauté remaining kernels in remaining teaspoon oil over moderately high heat, stirring, just until tender.

Discard corn cobs from soup. Squeeze garlic pulp from skins and stir with cream into soup. Pour soup through a sieve into a bowl and in a blender purée solids with just enough liquid to make smooth.

Tie long coriander sprigs in a bunch with kitchen string. Transfer purée and remaining liquid to kettle with tied coriander and lime juice and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, just until heated through. Chop roasted bell pepper. To soup add bell pepper, remaining poblanos, reserved onions, and sautéed corn and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until heated through. Discard tied coriander.

Serve soup garnished with coriander.

Makes about 8 cups.
    Gourmet
    July 1997
    You Asked For It; Catahoula, Calistoga CA
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

And I found this one while looking up the recipe for the last one. I would like to try this sometime.

CALABAZA, CORN, AND COCONUT SOUP

Calabazas are commonly found at Latino markets already cut into large wedges; kabochas are generally sold at natural foods stores.

For soup
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro stems
    2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
    1 (2 1/4-lb) piece calabaza squash or 1 (2 1/2-lb) whole kabocha squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (6 cups)
    4 cups water
    1 1/4 cups well-stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk (12 oz)
    3 ears of corn (fresh or thawed frozen), kernels cut off and reserved for relish (below) and cobs halved crosswise
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    For corn relish
    4 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Pinch of sugar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cups corn kernels (see above)
    2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot

Make soup:
    Heat oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften and edges are browned, about 4 minutes. Add cilantro stems and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add squash pieces and cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes. Stir in water, coconut milk, corn cobs, salt, and cayenne and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until squash is very tender, about 15 minutes.

Prepare corn relish while soup simmers:
    Whisk together lime juice, salt, and sugar in a bowl, then add oil and whisk until combined.

Cook corn kernels in a saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a sieve, then rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Drain well, then transfer to dressing along with cilantro and shallot and toss well to coat.

Finish soup:
    Discard corn cobs, then purée soup in batches in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids) until smooth, transferring to a 2-quart measure.

Divide soup among bowls and gently stir 1/4 cup corn relish into each.

Cooks' notes:
    • Soup (without corn relish) can be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat before serving.
    • Corn relish can be made 1 hour ahead and kept, covered, at room temperature.

Makes 8 first-course servings.
    Gourmet
    February 2005
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

These recipes were posted today on the Mastercook Yahoo message board. I haven't tried them yet, but they look like good candidates for a first course soup.

Asparagus Soup with Parmesan Asparagus Strudel

Recipe By :The Canadian Living Test Kitchen
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1 lb thin asparagus -- (500 g)
    3 tbsp butter -- (50 mL)
    1 leek (white and light green parts only) -- sliced
    8 cups chicken stock (approx) -- (2 L)
    1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley -- (15 mL)
    1/4 cup whipping cream -- (50 mL)
    1 tsp grated lemon rind -- (5 mL)
    1/4 tsp salt and pepper -- (1 mL)
    Lemon cream Froth:
    2 tbsp butter -- (25 mL)
    1 shallot -- thinly sliced
    1/4 cup white wine -- (50 mL)
    1/2 cup whipping cream -- (125 mL)
    1 tbsp lemon juice -- (15 mL)
    1/4 tsp salt and pepper -- (1 mL)
    Parmesan Asparagus Strudel:
    8 oz thin asparagus -- peeled and julienned
    1/4 tsp salt -- (1 mL)
    4 sheets phyllo pastry
    1/4 cup butter -- (50 mL) melted
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese -- (50 mL)

Lemon Cream Froth: In small saucepan, melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter over
    medium heat; cook shallot, stirring often, until translucent, about 2
    minutes.

Add wine; cook over high heat until reduced by half, about 1 minute. Add
    cream; simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup (125 mL), about 5 minutes. Add lemon
    juice, salt, pepper and remaining butter. Transfer to blender; froth sauce.
    Set aside and keep warm. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for
    up to 4 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Refroth.)

Parmesan Asparagus Strudel: In bowl, toss asparagus with 1/4 cup (50 mL) of
    the Lemon Cream Froth and salt.

Place 1 sheet of the phyllo on work surface, keeping remainder covered with
    damp cloth to prevent drying out. Brush lightly with some of the butter. Top
    with second sheet; brush lightly with some of the butter. Cut in half
    lengthwise.

Place one-quarter of the asparagus mixture on 1 short end of each strip of
    phyllo; fold in sides and roll up to form cylinder. Repeat with remaining
    phyllo and asparagus mixture. Brush strudels all over with remaining butter;
    roll in Parmesan cheese. Place on parchment paper-lined or greased rimmed
    baking sheet. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Bake
    in 400°F (200°C) oven until golden, about 20 minutes.

Cut asparagus into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. In saucepan of boiling salted
    water, cook 12 asparagus tips until bright green, about 1 minute. Drain; set
    aside for garnish.

In large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat; cook leek, stirring
    occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.

Add 7 cups (1.75 L) of the stock, remaining asparagus and parsley; bring to
    boil. Reduce heat and simmer until asparagus is tender, about 6 minutes.

In batches, purée soup in blender. Press through fine-mesh sieve to remove
    any fibres; return soup to pan. (Make-ahead: Transfer to airtight container
    and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat before continuing.)

Stir in cream and enough of the remaining stock to reach desired
    consistency. Season with lemon rind, salt and pepper.

Cut each strudel in half; trim 1 end and stand in each of 8 soup bowls. Pour
    soup around strudel; spoon froth around strudel. Garnish with reserved
    asparagus tips.

S(Internet Address):

"http://www.canadianliving.com/CanadianLiving/client/en/Today/DetailRecipe.a
    sp?idRe=4375"
    Copyright:
    "© 2005 A Marcotte Multimédia Inc."

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 238 Calories; 23g Fat (85.5% calories
    from fat); 2g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 67mg
    Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
    Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Asparagus and Leek Soup

Recipe By aphna Rabinovitch
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

3 Leeks (white and pale parts only)
    2 pounds Asparagus -- (1 kg) trimmed
    2 tablespoons Vegetable oil -- (25 mL)
    2 teaspoons lemon rind -- (10 mL) grated
    5 cups Chicken stock -- (1.25 L)

Coarsely chop leeks. Cut asparagus into 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) lengths; set
    aside.

In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook leeks, stirring
    occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10
    minutes longer or until very soft. Stir in lemon rind; cook for 1 minute.
    Add asparagus, stock and 1 cup (250 mL) water, bring to boil. Reduce heat;
    cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until asparagus is tender.

Remove and set aside 1 cup (250 mL) of the asparagus tips. In blender, purée
    remaining soup in batches until very smooth. (Soup can be covered and
    refrigerated for up to 1 day.)

Return soup to pot; reheat over low heat. Ladle into bowls; garnish with
    reserved asparagus tips.

S(Internet Address):

"http://www.canadianliving.com/CanadianLiving/client/en/Today/DetailRecipe.a
    sp?idRe=384"
    Copyright:
    "© 2005 A Marcotte Multimédia Inc."

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 58 Calories; 4g Fat (60.9% calories
    from fat); 2g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
    1343mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0