Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO Catfish Nuggets HELP

ISO Catfish Nuggets HELP

Time to clean out the freezer. I have about 5 pounds of catfish chunks (nuggets) and don't have a clue how to use them all up. Any suggestions?

I usually combine salt and flour, then roll the catfish in it. I then saute them lightly in margarine. After sauteing them, I add sliced onions and celery to the pan to wilt. Then, I put that over the catfish.

These are not tried and true but...

Cajun Catfish Nuggets

To make Cajun rub, combine

1 teaspoon each: dried oregano, basil, thyme
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    4 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon crushed peppercorns
    1/4 teaspoon finely crushed fennel seeds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brush barbeque grill with oil. Turn to medium high

Place Cajun rub and 1 pound catfish nuggets in a paper bag. Shake until pieces are well coated.

Thread onto pre-soaked skewers. Cook on hot grill for 3-5 minutes each side.

Serve with lemon wedges as appetizer for 4 or as a main dish for 2

Catfish Nuggets

We have used these tasty morsels as fish nuggets ala oven-fried fish fillets. Simply dip in your choice of breading (flour - egg/milk - bread crumbs) with your choice of seasoning. Then, place on cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray and drizzle about 1/4 cup of vegetable oil XXXX over the fish. Cook for only 10-12 minutes in 500 degree oven or 15-18 minutes in a 425 degree oven.
    XXXX I would Cooking Spray the sheet and the nuggets.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

You could use this recipe for the nuggets.

Buffalo-Style Catfish Strips with Ranch Dressing

The inspiration for this appetizer is Buffalo chicken wings. We breaded and baked catfish strips, then drizzled them with a spicy sauce. If you don't like spicy foods, omit the hot pepper sauce. Products labeled "hot sauce" generally have less heat and stronger vinegar flavor than those labeled "hot pepper sauce," which are intensely hot and should be used sparingly.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
    1 1/2 cups coarsely crushed cornflakes
    1 pound catfish fillets, cut into
    1/2-inch-thick strips
    Cooking spray
    1/3 cup hot sauce (such as Crystal)
    1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
    1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/2 cup fat-free ranch dressing
    4 celery stalks, cut into 1/4 x 3-inch sticks
    4 carrots, cut into 1/4 x 3-inch sticks

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 400°F.

Combine first 6 ingredients in a shallow dish, stirring with a whisk. Place egg whites in a shallow dish. Place cornflakes in a shallow dish. Working with 1 fish strip at a time, dredge in flour mixture. Dip in egg whites; dredge in cornflakes. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining fish strips, flour mixture, egg whites, and cornflakes.

Lightly coat fish strips with cooking spray. Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes or until done, turning once.

Combine hot sauce, pepper sauce, and Worcestershire in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter. Drizzle hot sauce mixture over fish. Serve with ranch dressing, celery, and carrots. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 2 ounces fish, 1/2 celery stalk, 1/2 carrot, and 1 tablespoon dressing).

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
    Calories: 183 (30% from fat); Carbohydrate: 19.2g; Cholesterol: 31mg; Fat: 6.2g (sat 2g, mono 2.5g, poly 1.1g); Sodium: 618mg; Protein: 12.5g; Calcium: 34mg; Iron: 3mg; Fiber: 2g.

Haven't tried this but found it this morning on a search to use up some avocados. Looks great.

CATFISH TACOS WITH TOMATO AND AVOCADO SALSA

1 cup chopped plum tomatoes
    1/2 cup chopped peeled avocado
    5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    3 tablespoons chopped green onion
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    3 teaspoons minced jalapeño chilies with seeds
    1 pound catfish fillets
    2 garlic cloves, minced

4 5- to 6-inch corn or flour tortillas

2 cups thinly sliced curly leaf lettuce
    1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix tomatoes, avocado, 2 tablespoons lime juice, onion, cilantro, and 2 teaspoons jalapeños in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

Place fish in single layer on small rimmed baking sheet. Mix garlic, 3 tablespoons lime juice, and 1 teaspoon jalapeños in another small bowl. Drizzle half of lime juice mixture over fish; reserve remainder. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper; let stand 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil, enclosing completely. Place in oven until heated through, about 15 minutes.

Preheat broiler. Broil fish just until opaque in center, about 6 minutes. Cut fish into 1-inch pieces. Top each tortilla with 1/2 cup lettuce, then fish pieces. Drizzle with reserved lime juice mixture. Spoon salsa over; sprinkle with cheese. Per serving: calories, 256; total fat, 9 g; saturated fat, 3 g; cholesterol, 74 mg; fiber, 3 g

Makes 4 servings.
    Bon Appétit
    April 2003
    Cooking for Health

The best catfish is fried. I soak the fillets or nuggets in buttermilk or milk/yogurt while getting the rest of the ingredients ready. Then dip fish in a half and half mixture of flour and cornstarch (the cornstarch gives a crisp coating that shatters in your mouth like good tempura -- lovely). Fry in a skillet with enough oil to come halfway up the sides of the fish. If you use good frying technique, you don't get a lot of oil absorption.

Or, you could use them in a favorite gumbo recipe. Or, go to the website below for a ton of recipes using catfish:

http://www.catfishinstitute.com

Thanks ladies. Glad to see I have options other than the tried & true fried catfish that I normally make into po boy sandwiches. PamN, who would ever guess a website dedicated to the catfish. Go figure!