Community Message Boards

Thread: Cashing a Torn Check?

Cashing a Torn Check?

Just curious - I received a rebate check in the mail that was completely torn in half by the post office. It came in an official post office envelope explaining that the mail was damaged in their machines. It's only a couple of bucks, so no big deal about the money, but I was wondering if I'd have problems cashing it. I've never had this happen before. My first thought was to just toss out the check as it's not worth much anyway, and I don't need the money, but for the principle of the rebate (which was for a bottle of Wolf Blass wine which was enjoyed ), I don't think I should. Do I just tape it or what? Is a torn check cashable or is it void?

I would tape it, take it to the bank and see what happens. (I would also keep the post office envelop in my purse to show them in case a question came up). I think they will cash it as long as the printing on it is legible. You could also deposit it through the ATM machine.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Thanks Peggy. It's a clean cut, right through, so very legible. I'll just deposit it into the ATM machine.

I think you would have a better chance if you take the check to the bank yourself instead of using the ATM. If the bank has any questions about the legitimacy of the check, you can speak with the teller/manager at the time of the deposit.

At the ATM, whoever opens the envelope that night will need to make a decision without your input. If they don't want to honor the check, they won't and you will still have to go and speak to them in person.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

They will cash it! I once ripped DH's paycheck in half thinking it was junk mail. I taped it on both sides and they didn't say a word when I cashed it. I was a little shocked. LOL.

That's good to know, Heather. I put it in the ATM while I was out earlier with a note that it was torn by USPS. If if accept it, fine, if not, no big deal. It wasn't worth my time going into the bank (I use drive up ATM) .