Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your New Cookbook Acquisitions?

Your New Cookbook Acquisitions?

In today's mail, I got The Best American Recipes 2004-2005. Thumbing through it at lunch, I'm looking forward to this one. They include a little bit of story/history before each recipe, which I really like. Anyone have this one? Any tried-and-trues I should start with?

Also from The Good Cook, I finally broke down and god Food Network Kitchens, Making It Easy.

Ran up to the second-hand bookstore up the street to see if they got in any more CL Annuals. Nope. But while there, I picked up Mr. Food's Simply Chocolate. I know, not exactly haute cuisine, but sometimes this is just what you're looking for. I usually love second-hand bookstores (cheaper = more books to buy!), but this one always gives me a headache. You know the kind ... books piled high in every nook and cranny, making it a challenge to see what they have. Also, a tad overpriced. I can't wait for garage sale seaon.

So, what are your new acquisitions?
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

My new cookbook acquisitions:

1000 Italian Recipes

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker

The Best of BetterBaking.com

Cookies by the Dozen: Over 75 Irresistible Recipes for Just a
    Dozen Cookies...

I have some store credit and a GC to Borders, so looking forward to some quality time in the cookbook section.

Looking forward to what everyone else has gotten!

Le Potager and Aperitif by Georgeanne Brennan are on their way from Amazon. I am trying, trying to resist the pull of Everyday Italian.

Missindi, maybe you've covered this in another thread, but out of curiousity, how many cookbooks do you own?

Originally posted by pmmahan
    I am trying, trying to resist the pull of Everyday Italian.

Me too! Unless of course, it gets some good reviews

Yesterday I got Indian Light Cooking by Ruth Law. I was inspired by the lentil and potato stew to try more Indian dishes (and there was a good deal on this one used at Amazon). Anyone who has this book have any recommendations?

I've been eyeing Everyday Italian as well, and stocking up on some of the old CL and Martha Stewart annuals.

I am trying, trying to resist the pull of Everyday Italian.
    I lost that battle yesterday. Sooooo excited to get it, though!

Missindi, maybe you've covered this in another thread, but out of curiousity, how many cookbooks do you own?
    Uh oh ... I can see where this is going. To tell you the truth, I don't know. Probably not as many as people think. I keep meaning to count, out of curiosity, but haven't gotten around to it. If I had to guess, probably a few hundred. They're all in my office at home, which is relatively small. Although I love our house, we're selling it this Spring to get a bit more space. And I'm sure you can guess how excited I am about that! More space = more cookbooks.

I have four new cookbooks that may have arrived today!

I got from Amazon:
    The Good Cookie: Over 250 Delicious Recipes from Simple to Sublime
    California Pizza Kitchen Pasta, Salads, Soups, And Sides
    The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook
    The All New, All Purpose Joy of Cooking

I only used $23 on these, because I used a $50 gift certificate from Christmas.

I am already putting together another shopping cart - inspired by the other thread on this BB!

Susan

Recently received as a gift, The Olive and the Caper. Purchased for myself Joie de Vivre and one of Patricia Wells's Provence books, I forget the exact title but the cover page has an illo of lavender. Through heroic self-control I did not go to the bookstore this weekend to add a couple more.

Wow, MISSINDI, I thought I had a lot (a hundred plus a few). Have fun moving 'em all (we did that in Nov.). :-)

For my b-day in Jan. my DGF gave me:

How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food by Mark Bittman

and one that is a compilation of Kentucky and Bluegrass recipes(can't remember the title off the top of my head). Many I likely won't use as I am a vegetarian, but there are some other yummy looking things in there.

Last weekend I bought The Ethnic Vegetarian

It looks really interesting. I am excited for the caribbean recipes. I have much self-control b/c I have to answer to the business manager if I go crazy. Besides, we are moving in the next 5 months, and I don't want to have to pack and move MORE books!

Wow -I have been a good girl lately compared to the rest of you cookbook buying hussies!
    I just recived notice that Everyday Italian is on its way to me !! I saw it in the book store today and resisted looking at it! I also ordered a great looking book called Grazing
    http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...509578-2990411

I saw the author makes some of the recipes on a local TV show yesterday and I looked at it in the store. It looks great.

About a month ago I bought 1000 Italian recipes but haven't even looked at it much. I love having books around just waiting for that perfect moment for me to read them.
    And is there anything better than seeing that parcel on the front step and you know its a new friend!!!!
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

I gave in on Monday and finally ordered Small Batch Baking (I couldn't resist any longer) and Healthy Cooking for Two (or Just You) : Low-Fat Recipes with Half the Fuss and Double the Taste.

I hope the recipes are good in Healthy Cooking for Two. I didn't like my first issue of TOH's "Cooking for 2". If the second issue isn't any better I think I'll ask to have my remaining issues changed to "Light & Tasty".
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard all the bull before.

Cheryl

Originally posted by kima
    And is there anything better than seeing that parcel on the front step and you know its a new friend!!!!
    I'm right there with you. I love coming home to fun mail.

That Grazing book looks good ... on my Wish List for now.

Haven't bought Everyday Italian, but gonna cave soon.

Originally posted by MISSINDI

Uh oh ... I can see where this is going. To tell you the truth, I don't know. Probably not as many as people think. I keep meaning to count, out of curiosity, but haven't gotten around to it. If I had to guess, probably a few hundred. They're all in my office at home, which is relatively small. Although I love our house, we're selling it this Spring to get a bit more space. And I'm sure you can guess how excited I am about that! More space = more cookbooks.
    Hee hee. I counted recently and i have over 50. (this includes food writing such as Jeffrey Steingarten and MFK Fisher) Believe me, one can not have too many cookbooks! I find that they are a worthy expense because you use them again and again, unlike a paperback or hardcover fiction novel, you read maybe once or twice and it sits on your shelf. Or perhaps I am rationalizing?

I find that they are a worthy expense because you use them again and again, unlike a paperback or hardcover fiction novel, you read maybe once or twice and it sits on your shelf. Or perhaps I am rationalizing?
    Hey, it works for me. I certainly agree with the rationale.

Originally posted by cher48603
    I gave in on Monday and finally ordered Small Batch Baking (I couldn't resist any longer) and Healthy Cooking for Two (or Just You) : Low-Fat Recipes with Half the Fuss and Double the Taste.

I hope the recipes are good in Healthy Cooking for Two. I didn't like my first issue of TOH's "Cooking for 2". If the second issue isn't any better I think I'll ask to have my remaining issues changed to "Light & Tasty".
    I have Healthy Cooking for Two and there is no comparison to that godawful TOH Cooking for 2. Her recipes aren't super exciting, but nor do they require a long list of items you typically wouldn't have on hand. I love that the book gives ingredient amounts and directions for one or two people and they are large portions to boot! I think I've had one or two duds but it could have been cook's error. You'll have to let me know what you try so we can compare.
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

Just got my package from the Good Cook in the mail today:

Barefoot in Paris - Ina Gartner
    The Good Cookie

AND inspired by the reviews on the Lentil and Potato Stew I went to our used book store and bought Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet . Also bought The All-American Cookie Book by Nancy Baggett (it was sold out in the Good Cook!)

Can't buy any more..... for awhile.....
    Charisse

Originally posted by MISSINDI

Haven't bought Everyday Italian, but gonna cave soon.
    This is THE book to buy! You won't be cool at school if you don't get this one!!!

(seriously I have not lusted after a book as much as I have this one!!)
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

This is THE book to buy! You won't be cool at school if you don't get this one!!!

(seriously I have not lusted after a book as much as I have this one!!)
    Me too, and we all know that I really "need" it.

I recently got Making it Easy from FoodNetwork, Barefoot in Paris, and guess what Maureen? I have ordered The Passionate Cook by Karen Barnaby. Got a great deal from half.com.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Originally posted by cniles
    Can't buy any more..... for awhile.....
    How long exactly is "awhile?"

Maureen, I know, I know. It's definitely on my list. I printed out all her recipes from FoodTV at Christmas time and put them in a binder for me, my mom and my sister, as a small gift to tide us over until the cookbook comes out, so we've all been anxiously awaiting it. I'm surprised it took her so long to get her first cookbook out there. She's WAAAAAY behind Rachael Ray, who's on what ... number 7?

I am hoping there are a few new recipes in the book but even if there aren't I am sure the pictures will be nice!
    (though looking at her can be depressing ).

Mine should be here in about five LONG days....

Wendy- The Passionate Cook is great!

Nigella Lawson

I am hoping there are a few new recipes in the book but even if there aren't I am sure the pictures will be nice!
    (though looking at her can be depressing ).

Mine should be here in about five LONG days....

Wendy- The Passionate Cook is great!
    So you've said and I remember the good 'ol days, I was once thin and could cook up a (fattening) storm. <sigh>

Don't worry, five days should pass quickly. I'm sure that you may have another book or two to keep you warm in the meantime.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

I picked up Mollie Katsens Sunlight Cafe at BN for $5! Nothing like CARRYING home a new friend!

Originally posted by jtoepfert100

I have Healthy Cooking for Two and there is no comparison to that godawful TOH Cooking for 2. Her recipes aren't super exciting, but nor do they require a long list of items you typically wouldn't have on hand. I love that the book gives ingredient amounts and directions for one or two people and they are large portions to boot! I think I've had one or two duds but it could have been cook's error. You'll have to let me know what you try so we can compare.
    Well, not super exciting is much better than godawful!! My subscription is for 2 years I don't really mind tossing in some onion, extra spices, etc., if the recipe needs it.
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard all the bull before.

Cheryl

Yikes...my new "acquisitions are taking over...my latest arrivals:

The Art of the Tart

Puddings A to Z

delicious dips

French Women Don't Get Fat

Lighthearted Everday Cooking

Bob Greene's Total Body Make Over

angeli caffe pizza pasta panini

panini bruschetta crostini

Slow Cooker Ready & Waiting

nancy silverton's sandwich book

wraps

And I can't even believe there are a few more on the way

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

I haven't been so fortunate as some of you lucky ladies, but I did pick up one new treasure from Borders this past weekend as a reward to myself. It's Betty Crocker's Indian Home Cooking, and I really like it! It was written by Raghavan Iyer, and it's really good about giving a lot of background on ingredients, suggesting potential substitutions for items which are harder to find (khari leaves?), and there's a little background on regionality with each recipe...oh, and it includes nutritional information AND diabetic exchanges for each recipe! Which is neat, IMO.

I've already made one recipe, Mutter Kheema (Ground Lamb with Peas), although I must admit, I tweaked it some. But it was/is really delicious! I've been having it every night for dinner, and it's so pleasant having some home cooked, flavorful, different food instead of the same ole, same ole.

I also made the CL May 2003 Shrimp Creole potpie, but I haven't nuked it yet, so I don't know how that's going to reheat. Oh well.

But yeah, I'm really digging this new Indian book. Two thumbs up!
    We are beautiful no matter what they say
    Yes, words won't bring us down
    We are beautiful no matter what they say
    Yes, words can't bring us down
    Don't you bring me down today
    -Christina Aguilera

Never heard of the Betty Crocker Indian Cooking one, but thanks to you, I have another "acquisition" coming my way.

Got a new one today from The Good Cook, Desserts that have Killed Better Men than Me, from Jeremy Jackson. Skimmed through it quickly this afternoon and it looks like a good one, though the complete lack of pictures is killing me. Anyone have this one? Any recommendations?

I just got the 2004 and 2005 Cooking Light Yearbooks. I also got another book by Donna Hay. Its called Entertaining. She has several books out. She also has a magazine. I think its based out of Australia or New Zealand. If you see it you should check them out.

I love Donna Hay. She has 7 cookbooks available in the US, but we're at least 1 behind with what she has in print in Australia. Her magazine is really well done - gorgeous pictures. I love the beginning of the month, when the new issue comes out.