Community Message Boards

Thread: Best way to ripen a pineapple?

Post Best way to ripen a pineapple?

Does anyone know the fastest way to ripen a whole fresh pineapple? I just bought a green one, and need it by this Easter Sunday.
    Thanks so much.

Smile

Maybe try a brown paper bag and leave it in a warm place. I just leave mine on the countertop here and it generally ripens in about one to two days - of course I have the luxury of living in Hawaii too!

Good luck.

My mom puts the pineapple on a counter to ripen but then she lives in an Island. I have used the brown bag method for other fruits so it might work. YOu know a pineapple is ripe by the wonderful smell...

Always store your pineapple upside down This ensures that it will ripen evenly as the ripening agents tend to settle to the bottom.

I think you will be fine by Sunday

Buying a ripe pineapple is as easy as pulling out one of the leaves from the top. If it pulls out easily it's ripe!

I heard that the leaves thing was a fallacy, too.

I have also read in several places (and heard last night on Emeril) that pineapples do not ripen off the tree. They get juicier (as all fruit does at room temperature) but not more ripe.

Fallacy Andrew. At least that is what they told us when we did the Dole Pineapple tour when we first moved to Hawaii. Generally you can tell from appearance. If they are green in color on the outside, not ripe. If golden colored, very ripe.

Edited for spelling. It was very early for me when I posted this.

[This message has been edited by BosunsWife (edited 04-17-2001).]

I put in a paper bad and turned it upside down. The color did not change at all. It was
    still green. I did not think it would be very good but it was very tasty and juicy.
    I served it on a platter with other fruit..
    it was all eaten and the first to go. Thanks for all the info everyone! I always pick the golden ones that smell good also if they are
    available. I'm not sure why this one was so good.

Cool

I have yet to have an unripe pineapple ever ripen after bringing it home. I now ONLY buy them when they are perfect.

A perfect pineapple is easy to pick, just smell it. If you don't have a "headdy" aroma of INTENSE pineapple when you lean over the display, then walk on. I have been known to catch a whiff of pineapple in the produce section and my husband is quite used to my "blood hound" style of sniffing out the perfect pineapple.

I also will not buy strawberries without a strong scent and cantalopes work this way too.

Tami

Originally posted by deb:
    Does anyone know the fastest way to ripen a whole fresh pineapple? I just bought a green one, and need it by this Easter Sunday.
    Thanks so much.
    What did you do? Was it ripe enough? Just wondering.