Community Message Boards

Thread: Pork Loin in Crockpot & 500 Degree Roast Beef

Pork Loin in Crockpot & 500 Degree Roast Beef

This is a two-parter....First, I love using my crockpot and have a 3-1/2 lb. boneless pork loin that I'd like to cook in it, but I just read via internet that b/c pork loins are usually lean, they dry out in the crockpot. Anyone have success w/this (and what was your recipe)? Secondly, two times I tried preparing a roast beef using the 500 deg. method....5 min. per lb., then letting roast sit in unopened oven for 2 hrs. Both times the meat was raw in the middle! What could've gone wrong?
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

Re: Pork Loin in Crockpot & 500 Degree Roast Beef

Originally posted by Lillith
    Secondly, two times I tried preparing a roast beef using the 500 deg. method....5 min. per lb., then letting roast sit in unopened oven for 2 hrs. Both times the meat was raw in the middle! What could've gone wrong?
    Not sure but you could try leaving the roast out of the fridge for about 20 minutes before putting in the oven. It brings it closer to room temp. Could be your meat was in a very cold part of the fridge?

As for the crockpot and the tenderloin I've neve done it because tenderloins cook fairly quickly and don't need to be cooked a long time in a crockpot.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Hi Sneezles,
    I did take the roasts out of the fridge and let come to just about room temp. before putting into hot oven so that can't be it, and my oven is only a month old and works well so that can't be it either. It's just so frustrating. As far as the pork goes, I didn't mean a tenderloin, just a regular boneless pork loin roast. There are several crockpot recipes using this cut of pork that looked interesting, but wanted to hear from someone who actually made one that wasn't all dried out. But thanks for answering!
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

Lillith, i've been looking for an answer to the roast beef question since you posed it last week but can't find the source i used; i'll keep at it. btw, what cut of meat did you use?

as for pork loin, i've done this numerous times in the crockpot and have never had a problem with it drying out. i do recommend cooking on low. what type of recipe are you thinking of making?

I've used the 500 recipe for eye-of-round, prime rib, and sirloin; never had a problem. Now I don't cook it to rare (125 internal temp) because I don't care for meat that close to raw. So I'm thinking maybe you don't care for rare either.

Sneezles, you're right...I don't like rare meat! Once I used an eye-round and the second time I used top round. I'll give it one more time (they say 3 time's the charm!) but this time I'll cook the meat at least 8 min. per lb.

Aubergine, here's the recipe:

4 large garlic cloves, quartered
    1 pork loin roast, boneless, 4-5 lbs. (mine is 3-1/2 lbs.)
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. ground thyme
    1/2 tsp. dried leaf sage, crumbled
    1/4 tsp. rosemary, chopped
    1/4 tsp. dried tarragon
    dash ground cloves or allspice
    1 tsp. grated lemon peel
    1/2 cup water
    3 Tbl. cornstarch
    3 Tbl. water

Cut 16 small pockets into roast and insert garlic slices. In small bown, combine salt, herbs and lemon peel. Rub mixture into roast. Pour 1/2 cup water into slow cooker; add the roast. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours. Pork should read at least 160 on instant read therm. If desired, remove roast from juices and combine cornstarch w/water until smooth. Add to pot and cook on high until thickened.

I'm concerned that with only 1/2 cup water, and little fat on the roast, it will come out dry. Whaddya think?

Sneezles, you're right...I don't like rare meat! Once I used an eye-round and the second time I used top round. I'll give it one more time (they say 3 time's the charm!) but this time I'll cook the meat at least 8 min. per lb.
    I wouldn't go more than 7 minutes per pound (especially with round, eye or top). the ends will be more towards well and the middle is a very nice medium.

Originally posted by sneezles

I wouldn't go more than 7 minutes per pound (especially with round, eye or top). the ends will be more towards well and the middle is a very nice medium.
    7 min. per lb. it is. Thanks!

Lil, on the pork, i wouldn't worry. the crockpot creates a moist, steamy atmosphere and your meat should be meltingly, fall-apart tender; i've made pork with less than 1/2 cup liquid, and i just checked Beth Hensperger's new slow cooker book to double check. if you're really worried, throw some onions in the bottom; they'll give off moisture. it's not all that different from your Melting Brisket recipe, in the sense that brisket cuts can be dry and tough, but not done in the slow cooker.

eureka!!! i just found the roast beef info (looking for something else, of course). this is the recipe i followed; note the length of time the meat comes out of the fridge prior to cooking. this would result in a rare roast, so i guess you can try more minutes per pound for more well-cooked meat.

High-Temperature Roast of Beef

Source: The New New York Times Cookbook, Craig Claiborne

To judge from the correspondence we receive, this recipe for raosting beef marked some sort of record in popularity. The technique of roasting the beef at a high temperature and then turning off the oven was developed by Ann Seranne, an innovative genius in the kitchen. One word of caution: this method should attempted only with a well-insulated oven.

One 2- to 4-rib roast of beef, short ribs removed, 4-1/2 to 12 pounds
    salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Remove the roast from the refrigerator 2-1/2 to 4 hours before cooking. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
    2. Place the roast in an open shallow roasting pan, fat side up. Sprinkle with a little flour and rub the flour into the fat lightly. Season with salt and pepper. Put the roast in the preheated oven and roast according to the chart below, timing exactly. When cooking time is finished, turn off the oven. Do not open the door at any time.
    3. Leave the roast in the oven until oven is lukewarm, or for about 2 hours. Roast will have a crunchy brown outside and an internal heat that will be suitable for serving for as long as 4 hours.

Yield: 2 servings per rib

Roasting chart:

Ribs: 2; Weight w/o short ribs:4-1/2 to 5 lbs; Cook: 25-30 mins.

Ribs: 3; Weight w/o short ribs: 8 to 9 lbs; Cook: 40-45 mins.

Ribs: 4; Weight w/o short ribs: 11-12 lbs; Cook: 55-60 mins.

This works out to be about 15 minutes per rib, or approximately 5 minutes cooking time per pound of trimmed, ready-to-cook roast.

Thanks, Aub....You're a peach (and a wealth of information).
    According to your post, I didn't take the meat out of the fridge early enough to truly reach room temp. I took both roasts out for 45-60 min. before putting into oven. Now that I think about it, isn't 2-1/2 - 4 hours alot? I guess not and will certainly try it again. Thanks again

Lil, i think that's really the key, 'cause the interior of the roast would still be quite chilled after 45-60 mins. i love the way this recipe goes against all standard recommendations regarding food safety (many of which i think are over-zealous hooey anyway).
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

Today I made the pork loin recipe posted above by Lillith, and it was really good. It was more flavorful than my normal recipe, due to the combination of herbs and spices. I think the allspice added a little subtle something extra. I used red wine instead of water, and omitted the lemon peel because I didn't have any. Also, I had added 2 carrots, 2 large onions, 2 stalks of celery, and most of a head of cauliflower (cleaning out the vegetable bin!). So I just removed the meat when it was done, and used the immersion blender to make gravy using the mushy veggies and liquid - so I omitted the water and cornstarch at the end, as they were unnecessary.

I was going to chime in and say pork TENDERLOIN is a different cut than pork LOIN. Pork tenderloin would not do well in the crockpot. I grill or roast that. It is very lean. Pork loin would do fine; it is a fattier cut of meat. Hope this clears up any confusion.

I've made this this recipe twice from AR and it has come out moist and delicious both times. I used a 3.5 lb. boneless pork loin. The only change I made was to add half a can of beer, per a reviewer's suggestion. I also didn't bother with the caraway since it was already in the sauerkraut.

Slow Cooker Lancaster County Pork and Sauerkraut

1 (4 pound) pork loin roast
    1 teaspoon caraway seeds
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 cups sauerkraut with liquid

DIRECTIONS:
    Cut pork loin, if necessary, to fit in the slow cooker. Season with caraway seeds, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauerkraut over the roast.
    Cook on High for 1 hour, then cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours. Internal temperature of the roast should be at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
    6 servings

Originally posted by Luvs2Cook
    I've made this this recipe twice from AR and it has come out moist and delicious both times. I used a 3.5 lb. boneless pork loin. The only change I made was to add half a can of beer, per a reviewer's suggestion. I also didn't bother with the caraway since it was already in the sauerkraut.

Slow Cooker Lancaster County Pork and Sauerkraut
    This is truly ironic. This past weekend DH and I went to Lancaster Co. PA and one night had dinner at the Bird in Hand Restaurant. On the menu was "Pork with Sauerkraut". Could be this recipe!! What brand of sauerkraut did you use? I'm not sure I've ever seen it w/caraway already in it.

Lillith, you'll appreciate this irony: guess what's in my crockpot as i type? the only change i made was to add a thinly sliced large white onion with the sauerkraut.

Could be this recipe!! What brand of sauerkraut did you use? I'm not sure I've ever seen it w/caraway already in it.
    Maybe it is!
    I don't recall what brand I bought but it's called Bavarian sauerkraut. I bought it at a regular grocery store so I'm sure it's widely available.
    Also forgot to mention, you can also add a Granny Smith apple, cored, and cut into 6 sections...it's supposed to take out some of the bitterness of the sauerkraut.