Community Message Boards

Thread: storing panko

Hybrid View

Talking storing panko

Let's see if I am technologically advanced enough to handle this new BB! After hearing really good things about panko (bread crumbs), I was thrilled to find some at my local farmers market. Does anyone know where to store it? Freezer? Fridge? Pantry? Thanks for answering what is probably a stupid question!!

Smile

Susann,

Its not a stupid question...but sure wish I could find it locally where I live. I have heard about it at another favorite board of mine. If it is a bread crumb coating mix then you can store in your pantry. I usually like to to store bread crumbs, flour, sugar, etc. in plastic containers or glass.

Question

I have used never heard of panko. What is special about it? I usually keep my breadcrumbs in a sealed container in my pantry.

It is a kind of flaky bread crumb. The texture kind of reminds me of dried mashed potato flakes. I tried them with CL's zucchini coins ( I think that was the name of them) and they really do add a nice crunchy coating.

I heard about them on Emeril Live (he made fried green tomatoes with them). I believe he said they were Asian. They are supposedly much finer and drier than regular breadcrumbs and are the latest trend! I've never seen them around here but then again, Indiana isn't really a culinary hot spot!

Per good ol' Epicurious:

panko

[PAHN-koh] Bread crumbs used in Japanese cooking for coating fried foods. They're coarser than those normally used in the United States and create a deliciously crunchy crust. Panko is sold in Asian markets.

Wink

In the stores near me, Panko breading is kept with the soy sauces and other ethnic foods. It "typically" comes in clear celophane-style bag, and might be available in various size bags so you can get a little, or alot. I love to use it for fried zucchini among other things. To me, panko is alot lighter than traditional breadcrumbs though I do believe that they actually MIGHT be higher in fat content. Just an FYI :-)

How funny!! This article was published in the Boston Herald's Food Section today. I am on a hunt to Victory market. The last time I was there...couldn't find it.

http://www.bostonherald.com/lifestyl...st06142000.htm

Smile

Thanks. I'm obviously not up to speed on this trend, but I'll have to look for them.

Panko inquiry,

I think it probably just fine to store these tasty crumbs in your pantry, but i might suggest that the freezer would be an excellant place for them. In there they won't go stale or attract little critters.