Community Message Boards

Thread: Simmering All Day Soup/Stew

Simmering All Day Soup/Stew

I am having my Mom and PIL over for dinner on Sunday night. We are celebrating my DH's birthday and also decorating my house. We just moved back in after a long 9 month remodel. Since most of the day is going to be spent hanging pictures and putting things away, I don't want to be stuck in the kitchen. I am going to make the Oven Baked Beef Stew for my DH because he loves stew and this seems easy enough. I need another stew or soup because I don't eat beef. Any suggestions for something that I can throw in the pot and forget about? I won't have time on Saturday to make anything.

Thanks for your suggestions.

any good minestrone recipe would be good. you can cut up veggies the night before. i just made one that involved sweating sliced celery and carrots and one chopped onion in olive oil. after you do that, you add one can tomatoes, one can cannellini beans and cook for 2 minutes. then add 10 cups water or broth and bring to a boil. once it boils, reduce heat and add 2 peeled diced potatoes, 1 cup white wine, one small chopped head raddicchio and some chopped parsley, salt and pepper to taste. cover and simmer one hr. then take off heat and let stand 15 min. add grated parmesan to a bowl and enjoy. it tastes even better the next day so you could make it the day before and just reheat. i prepped the carrots, celery and onion the night before and made a loaf of bread in the breadmaker that day while i was at work using the delay timer.

the soup is from Twelve Months of Monastery Soups.hth! angela
    angela - mom of abby age 2, miles born 4-18-05;physician; yoga enthusiast; amateur cook

Veggie chili or vegetable soup. I like the minestrone suggestion.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.