Community Message Boards

Thread: How to melt Mexican white cheese?

How to melt Mexican white cheese?

I love the white cheese dip that you get at the Mexican resturants but I can't get it to melt smooth. I've tried it in the microwave and on the stove top, added a little milk. Nothing seems to work. It just melts into one large blob. I talked to the lady running the local Mexican grocery and she said just in the microwave but it doesn't work for me. Any suggestions?

Which Mexican Cheese are you using? There are several (manchengo, queso blanco, queso fresco), and not all are good for melting. Queso blanco and fresco are both good crumbling cheeses. You might ask at your local Mexican rest. which cheese they use for melting. HTH

Thanks, I used chihuahua brand queso blanco para fundido from a Mexican grocery. It says on the package, white natural melting cheese, great for any recipe calling for a melting cheese.

Tried it last night, still have a glob.

Are you trying to melt the whole package at once? Maybe cutting it up into small chunks (if you have not already done this) might help it melt a little more evenly?

I shaved it off and used about 1/2 of the block of cheese. Melted it over a double boiler. I'm so frustrated!

This is the recipe that I use for chile con queso blanco. I've never used queso blanco para fundido (which I think just means white cheese for melting) but it would probably work in this recipe. It sounds like the cheese melts just fine but you're looking for more of a sauce and adding it to half & half will make it a sauce.

CHILE CON QUESO BLANCO
    Categories: Appetizers, Dips, Cheese, Mexican
    Yield: 1 1/4 cups

1 c Asadero cheese; shredded *
    4 oz Jalapeqos, chopped;
    -drained, OR
    4 oz Poblanos, deveined, roasted &
    -julienned
    1/4 c Half & half
    2 T Onion; finely chopped
    2 ts Cumin, ground
    1/2 ts Salt

Heat all ingredients over low heat, stirring constantly,
    until the cheese is melted. Serve warm with tostaditas.

(If this is made with julienned poblanos, it's called
    "queso con rajas de chile").

*Asadero is sold in rounds, sliced or unsliced. If it's from Wisconsin then it's more than likely Muenster without the rind. If it's from California it's a processed cheese and will sub just fine for the Mexican version. You could also try QuesoQueso but not Queso Fresco (it's too crumbly).
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!